Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend who enjoys making me feel old sent this to me, and it worked...

A young person asked the other day, "What was your favorite fast food when you were growing up?"

"We didn"t have fast food when I was growing up" I informed him.

"All the food was slow."

"C'mon, seriously. Where did you eat?"

"It was a place called 'at Home'", I explained.

"Mom cooked every day and when Dad got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate I was allowed to sit there until I did like it."

By this time, the kid was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table.

But here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if I figured his system could have handled it:

Some parents NEVER owned their own house, never wore Levis, never set foot on a golf course, never traveled out of the country or had a credit card.

In their later years they had something called a revolving charge card. The card was good only at Sears Roebuck. Or maybe it was Sears & Roebuck. Either way, there is no Roebuck anymore. Maybe he died.

My parents never drove me to soccer practice. This was mostly because we never had heard of soccer.

I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow).

We didn't have a television in our house until I was 11. It was, of course, black and white, and the station went off the air at midnight, after playing the national anthem and a poem about God; it came back on the air at about 6 a.m. And there was usually a locally produced news and farm show on, featuring local people.

I was 19 before I tasted my first pizza, it was called 'pizza pie'. When I bit into it, I burned the roof of my mouth and the cheese slid off, swung down, plastered itself against my chin and burned that, too. It"s still the best pizza I ever had.

I never had a telephone in my room. The only phone in the house was in the living room and it was on a party line. Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already using the line.

Pizzas were not delivered to our home. But milk was.

All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers--my brother delivered a newspaper, six days a week. It cost 7 cents a paper, of which he got to keep 2 cents. He had to get up at 6 AM every morning.

On Saturday, he had to collect the 42 cents from his customers. His favorite customers were the ones who gave him 50 cents and told him to keep the change. His least favorite customers were the ones who seemed to never be home on collection day.

Movie stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the movies. There were no movie ratings because all movies were responsibly produced for everyone to enjoy viewing, without profanity or violence or most anything offensive.

If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren

Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
In addition to most of those, we had a forerunner to 'fast food'. A&W Rootbeer Drive Inn. They would bring the food and big mugs of Rootbeer on tray that would hang off the rolled down window glass. Best burgers ever!:lovetongue:

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
In addition to most of those, we had a forerunner to 'fast food'. A&W Rootbeer Drive Inn. They would bring the food and big mugs of Rootbeer on tray that would hang off the rolled down window glass. Best burgers ever!:lovetongue:

AND, it was considered a treat.

·
Premium Member
14,701 Posts
When I was 8-10 yrs old the first Golden Arches )McDonalds came to Uniontown, you walk up to outside window , watched your food being made. Then in 1967 the first Big Mac was made in the Uniontown, McDonalds.

We also had drive-in movies. Dad would crank his window up just a little so he could put the speaker inside the car and we could hear the movie. All the other windows rolled down if it was summer , remember air conditioner only worked driving at 35 and above and all the windows down.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,394 Posts
When I was 8-10 yrs old the first Golden Arches )McDonalds came to Uniontown, you walk up to outside window , watched your food being made. Then in 1967 the first Big Mac was made in the Uniontown, McDonalds.

We also had drive-in movies. Dad would crank his window up just a little so he could put the speaker inside the car and we could hear the movie. All the other windows rolled down if it was summer , remember air conditioner only worked driving at 35 and above and all the windows down.
Dad would take us to the drive-in in the pickup truck. Us four kids would ride in the back to the drive-in, dad would park the truck with the rear facing the screen and we would all sit in the back to watch the movie. We took our own snacks, usually saltine crackers.

·
Premium Member
4,387 Posts
A very cool thread. I remember all stated above and especially the drive in. There were times during the movies that were adult times and we were made to lay down in the back seat and not watch those parts (what could have been so bad watching the "carpet baggers"?)! We moved to Sturbridge when I was 14 and we lived on Cedar Lake. There was the Sturbridge drive in at the end of the lake where now resides a Sheraton Hotel. We used to get in the boat and either row or use the 4 horse McCulloch motor and head to the drive in after you picked up your friends, spread a blanket and watched the movies.. That was great, kids to day will never know that feeling.. We still have two drive ins around our area. The Leicester Drive in with three screens and the Oxford Drive in with two screens.. Not the same though, Kids fighting all the time and disrupting the movie putting their lights on and such, stereo on your radio not a speaker you put in the window, (those are considered antiques now). I do remember the first McDonalds which was in Webster Ma. As Randy stated, when we went to the A&W root beer drive in it was a treat. The root beer used to come in megaphone styled container I guess to use at the ballpark or killing our parents from the back seat of the car! Our McDonalds didn't open until I was 17 years old and it was a drive to get to the place. We had a transistor radio hanging from the rear view mirror in the Sunbeam too. As stated my bike was a heavy unit and it had the one speed and a Bendix brake! My dad built the bike from parts he found at the dump! No dumps any more all transfer stations. I remember dad bringing his 22 to the dump to shoot rats too. That was actually fun as we did the same when we got older only at night. The dumps used to burn and you could see the rats running in front of the flames. PING. When we were invited to eat over a friends house it was a privilege to be allowed to do so. And you minded your manners too. I hated peas when I was a kid and there was no way I could leave the table until I ate every last one of them, so I was always the last one to get up after swallowing them with our delivered milk. Dad was a very tough father a Navy Man, you didn't talk at the table unless he talked to you and you didn't dare ask for anything, it was offered to you. Anyway, nice to have nostalgic threads every once in a while . I truly enjoyed reading all the above.. I for one am glad I grew up during those years, just glad all the marks from the belts on the a$$ didn't stay forever! Thanks for the thread :hi:

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Dad would take us to the drive-in in the pickup truck. Us four kids would ride in the back to the drive-in, dad would park the truck with the rear facing the screen and we would all sit in the back to watch the movie. We took our own snacks, usually saltine crackers.
good times for sure. Dad would get a ticket nowadays or get turned over to CPS for having the kids in the back. That's progress?:dunno:

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
First fast food I can remember going to as a kid was White Castle. Waitresses came up to the car, took your order, then relayed that to the kitchen via speaker boxes scattered around the periphery of the parking lot. I remember the little magnet on a chain around their necks that they placed on the speaker box to activate it before they read the order. (always wanted one of those little magnets ... :laugh:) Burgers were 9 cents then jumped to 12 cents. Order came in a tray that hooked onto the door window. Mickey D's and Big K's hadn't come into the area yet, BTW, I grew up in NYC.

The other fast food available was Chicken Delight. That chain came and went before KFC showed up.

And there was pizza, good ole NYC pizza. 19 cents a slice.

Of course there was always good home cooking by Mom. Fast food was OK, but Mom's cooking was the best.

Good memories, thanks to the OP for starting this thread.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
White Castle! Oh man.....on a very rare occasion that I had to stay with my Grandmother who lived in a city somewhere burried in the bowels of New Jersey I remember her me taking there and what a long walk it was. I was facinated.

In my last 6 months of hauling mail I finally got the opportunity to switch runs and do the Ohio end. The first thing that came to my mind was White Castle since they seem to be plentiful in southern Ohio. But to me dismay there were none near enough in Columbus that I could take my truck to on my 10 hour rest period after sleeping. Plus the thought of going anywhere on purpose in all that traffic.....

As was said above - A&W was a real treat. Got to go there once a month.

As I said in another thead - it amazes me how people can afford to eat out all the time. Twice a month we bring a Pizza home after out grocery run and that is really a treat for us!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Loved the A&W! Now I'm craving root beer!

When I was a squirt, my gram would on rare occasion roll 25 mi into town, drive through the only McDonalds drive thru I'd ever seen (arches from front of building to back..totally a classic) and we would share a small fry and each have a fountain Coke. That was a treat.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I might not be as old as some of you guys but I certainly do remember the good old days. I had a black and white tv in my room for quite some time and I was typically the remote control for the color one in the living room.

We actually still have an A&W drive in diner here in Indianola Iowa. I do not believe they use skates but it's a pretty cool place nonetheless. Family run and all.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,261 Posts
What?? You mean there was a place to go eat besides at home, a relative's place or church? Even for school I took a lunch pail with whatever Mom put in it. You all must have been rich. Maybe it was just the growing up Amish thing for me. :banghead: :mocking:

·
Registered
414 Posts
What?? You mean there was a place to go eat besides at home, a relative's place or church? Even for school I took a lunch pail with whatever Mom put in it. You all must have been rich. Maybe it was just the growing up Amish thing for me. :banghead: :mocking:
:happy: I haven't heard it called a lunch "pail" in a lonnnngggg time. That's what my Grampa carried though. Sammies wrapped in waxed paper and a 3 Musketeers every working day of his life. ?

·
Premium Member
5,955 Posts
I didn't grow up Amish, but likewise as for the eating out, home, family gatherings or farm group meetings! I usually took my meals to school because the school food wasn't fit to eat (at least in my opinion)! Never had Pizza until my older brother started college.

·
Registered
11,882 Posts
I didn't grow up Amish, but likewise as for the eating out, home, family gatherings or farm group meetings! I usually took my meals to school because the school food wasn't fit to eat (at least in my opinion)! Never had Pizza until my older brother started college.
Same reason I carried my lunch, Lowell. We had pizza every other Friday, so I didn't take the bag that day. I think the outrageous price for lunch was 30 or 35 cents when I was a senior.

·
Premium Member
4,387 Posts
Same reason I carried my lunch, Lowell. We had pizza every other Friday, so I didn't take the bag that day. I think the outrageous price for lunch was 30 or 35 cents when I was a senior.
Don, same here; lunch in a bag expect for every other Friday, Pizza! 25 cents for our meals in High school. Why was that Pizza so good????? Maybe because we didn't get it at home... or those black bugs in the flour on the pallet out back... Don't ask me how I know.... But we did a lot of construction work in high schools!!!!

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,663 Posts
I remember when we went to visit my grandparents I always looked forward to saying goodbye to grandpa. He would dig into his pocket and give me a quarter and tell me, "have your mom stop and get you boy's an ice cream". 25 cents bought all five of us an ice cream come.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I am old enough to remember,,, but, I do not miss it,,,

HECK, the speakers blew in our sub-woofer (it has 2, a push-pull sub-woofer)

I thought I was gonna D I E waiting the week for the eBay seller to get the new drivers to me,,,, :flag_of_truce:

Ah, but, as of yesterday,,, the TV room is rumbling,,, again!! :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
:happy: I haven't heard it called a lunch "pail" in a lonnnngggg time. That's what my Grampa carried though. Sammies wrapped in waxed paper and a 3 Musketeers every working day of his life. ?
We lived in SW Missouri when I was in grade school; the school house was very old even then (circa 1947-49). There was no hot lunch program, so everyone carried their lunch. We had a huge lunch room where everyone stashed their lunches. I'll never forget that smell; 100 years of boiled eggs, fried egg sandwiches, Bologna, apples, oranges, bananas etc. I rode the bus, and of course carried my lunch.

We were not well off at all; in fact we struggled financially. Mom and Dad made sure we had enough to eat, even though our clothes were patched and our shoes were worn out. Dad made me a lunch box out of a Karo syrup can. He took a nail and punched a perfect 5 point star in the lid; I could always tell my syrup can from all of the other syrup cans that way. I was actually kinda proud, like Dolly and her coat of many colors...and then there was my baseball glove...homemade by Mom...but that's another story for another time.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Me and my 7 brothers and sisters would always brown bag it. Our school was so poor it didn't even have a cafeteria. First Friday of the month was hot dog day where you ordered your hot dog ,milk, and Borden's ice cream cup ahead of time. It was something I always looked forward to. It is amazing looking back on this that kids never got sick or died from eggs, mayo, tuna ,cheese and meats going bad sitting out for hours in warm temps. We ate bugs and dirt and mold on cheese and somehow survived childhood. Our immune system was challenged and won. Don't see that anymore.:laugh:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts