Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My temp was running a little high this week moving wood chips into my tree row. I decided to check the radiator fluid. It was fine -- but then I noticed the fine screen in front of the radiator. It was pretty well clogged; cleaned it off and was ready to go. My 1025R didn't once get a beard so next time I will look under the hood.

Rob

·
Registered
969 Posts
I learned quick. Had the tractor a short time and it overheated after 15 mins of use. I was working in the dirt in my backyard. I couldn’t believe it happened that fast. No problems from it but I check the screen and temp gauge often when operating. Have two compressors in my garage. One is small and I keep a trigger nozzle on it for cleaning I have grass on all I cleared now so it’s less of an issue.

·
Registered
8,206 Posts
Anytime the temps are higher than they should be, ALWAYS start with the screen. The fan has a lot of draw and pulls all kinds of debris and dirt onto the screen.

I have this set for keeping the radiator clean. One is for the compressor and the other for the water hose. ALWAYS use the compressor first and remove as much dirt as possible. If you get the dirt wet, it sticks to the radiator and its much harder to remove, than to blow it off the radiator and screen with the air.

The length and shape of these make reaching down to properly clean the radiator much easier. Also the ends are angled to properly disperse the air and water right into the radiator and to clean it at every level.

It also helps to stop the engine when you are doing this cleaning with the air as the fans suction makes quite a difference. I prefer to keep the engine running when I use the water wand as it helps to draw the water through the fins and clean the system more thoroughly. Obviously, watch out for the fan and don't use these on the back side of the radiator when the engine is running.....:hide:

Just be very careful to not hit the radiator fins with either of these wands as the fins bend and damage very easily..............I picked up my wand set at the local Mahindra dealer when I was there with a friend who was trying to get their service department to perform ANY warranty work on his machine..........they are just the opposite of my experiences with Deere.

Deere has always been excellent to deal with, the Mahindra dealer seems to have every possible excuse as to why they WON'T perform warranty work.......another example of the dramatic difference was that the Mahindra dealer didn't stock the filters for my friend to service his machine and they had to order them and it took 3 weeks to get them.....I ordered a set off the internet for him in the meantime and he had them in 3 days and about 40% lower in cost. What kind of dealer doesn't even stock service filters for the equipment they sell?

Tractor Radiator Genie Clean Out Wand Set RG1001

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Had to clean mine multiple times this year. Although that beard growth is a dead give away to clean it

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
This year I noticed that the inner screen would have a lot of stuff fall off down into the battery area when I pulled it out to blow it off. When you put the screen back on and start the engine, the radiator fan instantly sucks all that stuff that fell off back up onto the screen. So now I use a portable, battery-operated vacuum cleaner to make sure I truly clear everything and increase the use time before I have to clean it again.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I use a cordless leaf blower. I don't think I've ever used it for lawn work, but it is a very useful tool.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I use a cordless leaf blower.
Same here. I blow out the screen each time we use the tractor, when I'm filling it and checking the oil before putting it away. With it and the side panels removed, I blow backwards through the rad with it too. Get all that crap out of there that I can.

I don't think I've ever used it for lawn work, but it is a very useful tool.
I have a big Stihl backpack blower too. But our Dewalt battery blower is just great. Quiet, no pull start, it's always ready to go. Very handy tool, I agree.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I hit my whole tractor with a leaf blower after every mowing including under the hood. So far I've never had any overheating issues.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I usually can't mow an hour with mine till I have to stop and clean the screen. I can tell when the temp gauge starts rising it's time to stop. My 54d deck throws so much chaff out from under the front of the deck right into the low pressure area under the tractor and the fan sucks it right up. I've never had any other deck that blew so much stuff out from under the front of it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I usually can't mow an hour with mine till I have to stop and clean the screen. I can tell when the temp gauge starts rising it's time to stop. My 54d deck throws so much chaff out from under the front of the deck right into the low pressure area under the tractor and the fan sucks it right up. I've never had any other deck that blew so much stuff out from under the front of it.
Have you checked the level and pitch of the deck yourself? Don't trust the dealer to get it right.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Have you checked the level and pitch of the deck yourself? Don't trust the dealer to get it right.
That's funny. I wouldn't trust my dealer to put air in the tires. I spent most of the first year I owned this tractor just straightening out all of the screw-ups they made when they set it up. :banghead:

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
That screen is handy. Just hit it with a blower. I also blow out the battery area too. We have to pressure wash our bulldozer radiators three or four times a summer on dusty sites. They don't have screens

·
Registered
8,206 Posts
Beards from rear mowing with the Frontier RC2048 mower.

The beard is even in the corner of the headlights, right where the bezel and bulb come together, so there is even consistent air draw around the light bulb housings.

I carry a hand held gas powered Echo blower in the bucket, secured to the Ken's Bolt on Hook with a flexible tie down, which can be used over and over. I like to run with the bucket about 6" off the ground with the leading edge rolled up, so if I encounter a stump, log, etc. the bucket will run into the object first. Since the bottom of the bucket hits the object, it usually allows me to stop before possibly causing damage, etc.

I have also had the bucket locate a couple of fawns who just stayed there, hiding. I noticed the areas packed down and proceeded slowly and sure enough, there were fawns lying in there refusing to look at me, like that would make them invisible. :laugh: In each case, I backed up and turned around and when I returned the fawns had moved, possibly with mom's help. I sure don't want to harm any animals or hurt Bambi........

I encountered a fawn one day in a small stand of trees right off the lawn and she was hiding behind this small sapling just so I couldn't see her eyes. The entire tree was probably 3" in diameter, but since she couldn't see me, I think she thought she was "hiding". It was really cute, I wish I had gotten a picture of her. Every time I would move so I could see her eyes, she would back up or move ahead so her eyes were behind the tree.....:lol:

A lot of times I will try to mow the fields with the rear mower after its rained or when there is a lot of dew. This cuts way down on the dust, chaff and weed debris. Using the gas powered blower helps get everything out from under the hood and when I am cleaning, I usually hit the whole tractor and mower with the gas blower, just to keep it cleaner even while still mowing.....I like to keep the weeds and debris off the equipment so it doesn't wrap around shafts, etc.

I have seen some of the mid PTO shafts really get wrapped up with long grass, etc. which can work their way into causing issues with shaft seals and similar.......

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is a beard

Nice beard

·
Registered
8,206 Posts
Nice beard
Soon, I will be switching over to my "Mountain Dew" Screen cover for winter snow plowing.....It fits perfectly and being the coated cardboard material that it is, the moisture that does end up on the cardboard doesn't cause it to fall apart.

Normally, I haven't blocked the screen or grille on the 1025r where I blocked the side panels on my 455 every year for plowing. But this past winter we had some wicked cold where the air temp stayed colder than -20F and we had a 20 to 30 mph wind on top of the cold. I wasn't getting a decent temp reading out of the engine in the extreme cold so I came back and pulled the Mountain Dew cartons out of the recycling bin and gorilla taped them together and they slid in front of the screen perfectly and just enough bending over the top of the screen to tuck down in the screen brackets so the card board was secure and not moving around at all....................

I ran it in there the rest of the winter and pulled in once the plowing was done. I probably plowed 100 hours with the screen shield in place and will likely start the season out with the screen cover, just to keep the engine in its summer operating temp range on the gauge. The engine seems to be "happier" when its a little warmer and I have less diesel smoke and it consistently burns just under 1 gallon per hour plowing snow, right at 0.9 gallons per meter hour.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts