Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JD 2440 with one remote using Pioneer 4060 couplers. Problem is the output coupler is "live" with no hose connected and the slightest accidental movement of the SCV control sends fluid squirting out the coupler. The coupler has a fixed pin to open the check ball in the implement hose but doesn't appear to have a check ball in the coupler itself. I see the flow control metering valve handle on the bottom of the SCV but the Tech Man doesn't say it will completely shut off the external flow. The valve handle is difficult to move (maybe from paint or lack of use) and I don't want to move it if it won't shut off the flow. The only options I can think of are to (1) replace the coupler(s) with ones having an internal check ball or (2) get a short hose to connect the output and return couplers together. We only have one implement, a Plotmaster II, that uses hydraulics..it came with the tractor when we purchased it. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Flow control lever red arrow points at only controls amount of hyd flow from minimum to highest but will not shut off flow. If female hyd coupler leaks oil with nothing attached then ball in center must not be seating correctly.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Coupler Control

I haven't seen the coupler leak any fluid, it just squirts out when the SCV lever is moved. And I can't see any check ball in the coupler. The pin that engages the implement hose is fixed, so I don't see how anything could move when a hose is connected except for the check ball in the hose. I need to do something before I dump some expensive Hy-Gard on the ground.

·
Premium Member
7,709 Posts
Are those factory couplers? Or aftermarket replacements? :dunno:
I would not want that style on my 2030 :nunu: :mocking: So I would replace both

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Remote coupler control problem

Thank you Zebrafive... I don't know if the couplers came on the tractor when new, we have only owned it for a few weeks...been working on some other and one potentially major issue...see the thread "What A Mess"...
The couplers are both marked "Pioneer 4060"..I just assumed they were aftermarket but don't know that.
I have read a little about ISO couplers but don't know anything about them either. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
957 Posts
It appears to me that those are adapters plugged into the original JD style couplers. The green collar behind the adapter should be able to be slid back to remove the adapters. Those style adapters were meant to be left on the hoses rather than left in the couplers. If you just remove the adapters when not in use, it should solve your problem.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks jd110...I'll check out those green collars. Any idea what that knob is for that is on the bottom of the coupler mount in one of the pictures??

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Any idea what that knob is for that is on the bottom of the coupler mount in one of the pictures??
As I previously stated the KNOB with RED arrow pointing at it in your photo is a hyd flow control knob often referred to as rabbit-turtle knob. It controls amount of flow BUT will not shut off flow. Hyd couplers in you photo were the cheaper version of couplers offered by JD when your tractor was new. I know this is correct because I sold NEW 2440 tractors.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
It appears to me that those are adapters plugged into the original JD style couplers. The green collar behind the adapter should be able to be slid back to remove the adapters. Those style adapters were meant to be left on the hoses rather than left in the couplers. If you just remove the adapters when not in use, it should solve your problem.

DITTO I'll 2nd what jd110 stated.

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
Nailed it

You nailed the issue. The adapters are depressing the ball in the factory coupler so there's nothing to stop the flow. Remove the adapter and problem solved. We've used those on our IH tractors that don't have ISO connectors.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
7,709 Posts
I think you are right! I missed them ( he cut them off in the top view picture) good eye, jd110! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
7,709 Posts
As I previously stated the KNOB with RED arrow pointing at it in your photo is a hyd flow control knob often referred to as rabbit-turtle knob. It controls amount of flow BUT will not shut off flow. Hyd couplers in you photo were the cheaper version of couplers offered by JD when your tractor was new. I know this is correct because I sold NEW 2440 tractors.
TxJim, do you recall if it was a big jump in price for the deluxe breakaway couplers? Around here that's all I see. I am guessing the local dealers ordered the deluxe on all the tractors they ordered. Or maybe you had to factory order the cheaper coupler and the deluxe was std? :dunno:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Feeling better about this...

Glad to hear this issue may be so easy to fix. I'll check on those adapters this afternoon and let you all know what I find.. Thanks to everyone for the input!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You guys were right again !!

Sure enough, removed the Pioneer couplers as suggested above and that solved the problem...no more hydraulic oil discharge when SCV lever moved... Guess I'll just plug the couplers on the Plotmaster hoses and call this one done. Thanks again for everyone's input.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Sure enough, removed the Pioneer couplers as suggested above and that solved the problem...no more hydraulic oil discharge when SCV lever moved... Guess I'll just plug the couplers on the Plotmaster hoses and call this one done. Thanks again for everyone's input.
Have you considered get correct male hyd tips for your Plotmaster & then you won't have a need for the adapters?

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
TxJim, do you recall if it was a big jump in price for the deluxe breakaway couplers? Around here that's all I see. I am guessing the local dealers ordered the deluxe on all the tractors they ordered. Or maybe you had to factory order the cheaper coupler and the deluxe was std? :dunno:
IIRC all the new utility tractors excluding the 2040's with OC hyd's that were sold at dealership where I was employed had the deluxe breakaway couplers. I can't remember price difference between economy & deluxe scv.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Remote Coupler

Thanks Tx Jim...Had not thought about just changing tips on the Plotmaster hoses. I did talk earlier to the JD parts guy about changing the entire coupler assembly, thinking I might have to in order to solve the escaping fluid problem. At that time he mentioned I would also have to change the hose tips and showed me the two kinds they have on hand. They have ones for ISO couplers and also for the older style. I'll check into that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts