Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Old Pa-pa
11,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is what I came up with to get loader up/down control to the backhoe station on a 4066R cabbed version.

Really think Deere should offer a kit for cabbed tractors to do this so it is easy to put the bucket up and down as a front stabalizer
which also puts the stress on the subframe (where it should be) instead of on the front of the tractor.
Heck Ma Deere could probably get with $900 to a grand for a kit. :lol:

Ain't no fun climbing off the backhoe station (especially for old coots with bad knees) and into the cab just to put the bucket up
or down at every digging operation, especially when cleaning out or digging a ditch and using the dipper stick to propel forward.

Building it takes surprisingly few parts, no big deal.
Tools needed: Torch, welding machine, drill press, 4 1/2" angle grinder, tap set, files for putting the finishing "smooth" on built parts, jigsaw
with metal cutting blade and hacksaw.

Total of *BIG* cost items around $157, $110 for control handle (Marpac 7-0114) and $47 for control cable (Seastar *xtreme* CCX63308 - 8 feet length).
The Seastar control cable (formally Teleflex brand name) comes in 3 grades, the *Xtreme* is the best and well worth it for its' smoothness.
Know I could have gotten the control handle and cable cheaper online, but this was what the marine/boat dealer had on hand in town and
I wanted to get started.

The rest of the parts were nuts,bolts, washers, lock washers, 3/16" snap lock pins and just gereral hardware, maybe $20 worth.

A round 5/8" shaft used for as cable support arm and assorted pieces of 1/4" and 1/8" plate for control cable anchoring.

Works great, in cab cable connection to the Deere loader control takes 2 seconds to connect and disconnect (snap lock pins), no tools needed as designed.

The cable support arm even comes off by undoing 2 wing bolts, no tools needed.

The support arm bolts to a *Z* bracket I built which is held in place with a 1/4" bolt and nut.
This stays on tractor and doesn't interfere with anything

Used a pipe hanger clamp adapter (from Lowes) with 3/8" threads to attach to Deere loader control handle's shaft, used a cut 3/8" bolt
to connect cable end to pipe hanger.
The pipe hanger adapter stays on Deere loader control handle's shaft and doesn't interfere with anything.

Care was taken (bending to proper shape) that it aligns with the Deere loader control arm and also that it doesn't
interfere with the seat arm or switches on the console. (getting the *S* bend just right was the hardest part, had to heat it with the torch
several times to get it perfect.

The rear console hold down was a metric screw (around 3/16" diameter) which I found stripped out where
it went to the metal fender support.
Drilled it out to 1/4", used 1/4" bolt, nut, washer, lock washer to secure it now.

The cable is very responsive, with basically no lag between handle movement and output movement, smooth as silk, flexable, heavy duty .

Utilized Deere built in access hole behind seat for cable routing out of cab.

It was sealed with a rubber grommet that I replaced with a plate and hold down knobs, added an electrical box rubber compression fitting
to hold the cable secure.

The control handle on the backhoe end comes off by unscrewing 4 u-bolts.

The bracket for it was built from a piece of 1/4" plate welded to a piece of 3/8" plate, 3/8 plate used for u-bolts.
The cover box is an old, unused, plastic electrical connection box I had in my shop for years, fits great and prevents dirt, mud and crud from getting on the hoe end of the control cable.

Any*who*, this is how I done it, a little high end *Redneck engineering*, didn't even use any duct tape anywhere. :lol:

-Neil-

Attachments

·
Old Pa-pa
11,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Few more pics of parts:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Outstanding!
That control lever looks first class at the hoe operator station.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts

·
Old Pa-pa
11,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
Neil, Did you design and fabricate all of this system ?? If so, you're a Rocket Scientist !! :bigthumb:

·
Old Pa-pa
11,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Neil, Did you design and fabricate all of this system ?? If so, you're a Rocket Scientist !! :bigthumb:
Yup, it's an OC original. :laugh:

Ain't no rocket scientist, I'm a contraptioneer.

That's what my old Kubota buddy calls me and I don't think he means it as a compliment. :lol:

·
Administrator
17,322 Posts
Nice job Neil :good2:

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
OC majored in Cajun Engineering. Graduated at the top of his class.:thumbup1gif:

·
Old Pa-pa
11,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OC majored in Cajun Engineering. Graduated at the top of his class.:thumbup1gif:
The final test was putting 4 things together without using duct tape, aced it.:thumbup1gif: :lol::lol:

·
Registered
11,763 Posts
OC--i give ya one of these :bigthumb: and them wallet moths are sure proud of ur engineering of their money:gizmo::laugh:

·
Old Pa-pa
11,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OC--i give ya one of these :bigthumb: and them wallet moths are sure proud of ur engineering of their money:gizmo::laugh:
Hell Big Jim, them little moths done left the back pocket motel many moons ago. :lol:

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
That's pretty slick engineering OC! :good2: I'm surprised you went to all that trouble and expense though. Wouldn't it have been easier to have your bride accompany you and operate the loader and tractor. I'm seeing a wasted opportunity for some quality "us" time. :lol:

·
Old Pa-pa
11,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's pretty slick engineering OC! :good2: I'm surprised you went to all that trouble and expense though. Wouldn't it have been easier to have your bride accompany you and operate the loader and tractor. I'm seeing a wasted opportunity for some quality "us" time. :lol:
That would be very Gizmodian of me, I dare not push it that far.

It is indeed a talent that very few of us possess, that's what makes Gizmo a legend.:laugh:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Nice job Neil :good2:
Ken,

Since you are the resident hydraulic expert, what would be involved (Or is it even possible?) in teeing in an additional joystick valve at the hoe with check valves at the main joystick? While this setup is great, I just wondered about going directly to the source (hydraulic). Both will require disconnection / removal if the hoe is removed. It would also not require adding anything in the cab.

Just thinking out loud. (Again) :good2:

Jeff

·
Administrator
17,322 Posts
Ken,

Since you are the resident hydraulic expert, what would be involved (Or is it even possible?) in teeing in an additional joystick valve at the hoe with check valves at the main joystick? While this setup is great, I just wondered about going directly to the source (hydraulic). Both will require disconnection / removal if the hoe is removed. It would also not require adding anything in the cab.

Jeff
Possible, maybe, practical, probably not. Since everything is plumbed in hard lines, you'd have to cut them and add in two Swagelock tee's for the lift/lower circuit, then you'd have to get three lines to the in side of the new valve (IN, OUT, PB) and find a place to mount it.

It would be a neat experiment, if you fund it I'll try it LOL.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ken,

Jeff
I thought about that, but it would require seriously *digging* into the Deere hydraulic setup.

To remove the cable and arm from the cab takes only a minute.
Undo the 2 snap lock pins, undo the two wing bolts holding the cable support arm, loosen the electrical compression
fitting behind the seat and slide the cable out of the cab.............easy peasy.

Also thought of using a linear actuator to operate cab loader control (can even get them programmable for fairly cheap), but
decided a low tech control cable made more sense and with a good cable it actually feels like you're hand is on the cab loader
control............Just my additional 2 cents...:laugh:

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
That’s awesome OC. Great job 👍🏼

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,126 Posts
Did you really have to say that? :lol:

Nice job OC. :good2:
Didn't JD at one point make something like this?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts