Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recieved a call from a friend of a client asking me if I would install a remote start on her husbands 3520 cab tractor for Christmas. At first I was taken back, but after I thought about it for a bit, it seems that it should be possible and probably not that hard?

Anyone done it or have any ideas?

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Anyone done it or have any ideas?
WOW! I would think you are going to pioneer this one. Let us know how it turns out. Can you document the process for us (pics)? Sorry can't help.

·
Administrator
21,038 Posts
First I have heard of this...I assume you have the technical manual?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do not have the tech manual at this time. I have been trying to figure it out in my head.:lol:

Seems the brake might be an issue since I doubt there is a sensor to see if the brake is on.

There is not much to these guys, but i need to have all the sensors needed to make everything work...

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Guesses of the top of my head (/disclaimers):

You'd need a contactor to duplicate the function of the key switch in the run position, which means big enough contacts to hand the entire tractor electrical load that the switch runs. Looks like around 85 amps of fuses, so at least a 50 amp contactor. That number needs to be verified.

You'd need a relay to do the function of the key switch in the "start" position. There is a start relay, but you'd have to dig into the manuals to figure out what the draw is. I'd guess a 30 amp relay. You'll also want to figure out if the controllers in the tractor are smart enough to disengage the starter motor once things are happy. It looks like the wire to run the starter relay and the wire for the coil on the relay run off to something that thinks. A good time to check out the theory of operation in the tech manual.

If you want to be a tractor geek you'd build a temperature sensor on this auto-starters' control unit and a relay to do the glow plugs, have to figure out that load but there's a relay for that so guess a 30 amp relay.

You'd need to sense:
Tachometer feedback or sensor. (is the engine spinning)
Battery Voltage. (if goes too low, give up)
Neutral switch in gear case (?).
Brake switch (?).
Somewhere between "I'll just leave it so I can fire it up without having it want to move" and "My lawyers won't let me do this" is a level of safety check that makes sense. Seems like a small trade off to require the user to put the tractor in neutral and engage the parking break in order to use the autostart.

You'd need an input for the "start" signal from either a wired or wireless source.

All this would have to go into a microprocessor control board. It would do the magic to make it work and not burn up your starter, your glow plugs or drain your battery and all that good stuff. It will lay off the starter when things start spinning. You'll want the various control and sense wire to be on a connector so you can unplug this thing when working on the tractor (just to get the tractor back to "stock" condition). Put the high current stuff on lugs so you can take those wires off too.

I'd probably tap into the harness with matching connectors (vs. cutting the wires and splicing) so I could disconnect everything and be so factory stock that my warranty would be good.

You'd have to paint it green or black. If you've gone to all this trouble, take it the last percent of the way towards done :good2:. And put some blinking lights on it, everyone likes blinking lights.

Extra credit: Put a battery tender in it. Make it so you can plug in a 24V wall wort and does all the good battery tender stuff for you.

Pete

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Am I missing something? That site was all owners guides and no installation guide?

While I'm sure there's an off the shelf solution, I have to laugh a bit :lol::

If this effort involved some sort of steel attachment, you guys would be itching to find some fault or improvement, steel would be cut and the sparks would be flying. A little electrical problem and it's off the shelf time.

Yeah, I know this is a 5 minute idea that would take 100+ hours to build from scratch so off the shelf does look pretty good, but still...

I was looking to see if these off the shelf devices "cut wires" to find sensors or plug into the diagnostic connector to figure things out. Clearly an installation manual would let you figure out if this can be adapted to a tractor.

Pete

·
Registered
733 Posts
Am I missing something? That site was all owners guides and no installation guide?
Your not missing anything...Just looked myself...no dice. All the install & tech docs are at the parent site here: http://www.directechs.com/Default.aspx
Wish my buddy still did this for a living...he'd hook me/us up with a login in no time....he's the one that did the install of mine in my truck.

While I'm sure there's an off the shelf solution, I have to laugh a bit :lol::

If this effort involved some sort of steel attachment, you guys would be itching to find some fault or improvement, steel would be cut and the sparks would be flying. A little electrical problem and it's off the shelf time.

Yeah, I know this is a 5 minute idea that would take 100+ hours to build from scratch so off the shelf does look pretty good, but still...

I was looking to see if these off the shelf devices "cut wires" to find sensors or plug into the diagnostic connector to figure things out. Clearly an installation manual would let you figure out if this can be adapted to a tractor.

Pete
You got me there...Thats cause I'm "electrically challenged".. :lol:
I'm personally not afraid to cut/weld/grind/redo mechanical things, but electrical things...I only have visions of shocking myself, or burning the tractor down...:flag_of_truce:
As for cutting...I watched mine being installed...its more just "splicing" inline with the existing wire...all factory wiring stays in place and this "brain" fakes out alot of things...

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
I've thought about putting one on mine.... I can't imagine it's all that different than a big diesel pickup, no??

-Jer.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will be going off the shelf for this. From my research, it should be no issue at all to install. I will not be rigging it up to turn on the glow plugs automatically as they are not always needed.

The brake pedal is my only hold up as I need to add a switch. Seems like a simple straight forward install.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The brakes have a sensor. For example, you can not run the rear pto with the operator off of the seat unless the brake is set.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You are correct. From my research this is going to be an easy project. Most wires will be simple to find and it seems to have everything needed to run a normal car unit. I will be attempting this soon.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Did you by any chance do this?? It should be very easy to do.. I'm certified (my wife says sorta fried) for car starters. IS the 3520 a new one? if so it has a park brake light. But no brake light switch for someone trying to steal the tractor.. Power, ground, tach sensor, The glow plug wire can be set up on a timer with the Astro start units. You can also add a nice little box that you can set the days and times you want it to start.. You will need to know if the heater is on any secondary accessory relays for the fan to turn on. lights should be simple.

·
Administrator
21,038 Posts
Yeah BDT, the poeple want to know how this turned out:ttiwwp::cheers:

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Let me know if you run into problems with this project. I have access to schematics.

·
Registered
382 Posts
You also would want to park the tractor out of gear to prevent an accident, when using remote start.

Brake light switch/circuittry interface? To simulate the brake being depressed?

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
A Hydro tractor would not move unless the seat has weight on it.

Parking brake light on the dash would work for the brake light. :good2:

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
I will be going off the shelf for this. From my research, it should be no issue at all to install. I will not be rigging it up to turn on the glow plugs automatically as they are not always needed.

The brake pedal is my only hold up as I need to add a switch. Seems like a simple straight forward install.
The 3520 is equipped with a park brake switch or a neutral safety, depending on the tranny. The off the shelf diesel unit would be fairly simple to install with full function, including cold start assist. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
31 Posts
i did a remote start on my 3320 this spring. used an astro start ( i put them in vehicles.)

I also did one on my polaris ranger.

My 3320 is a ehydro. i used a momentary push button switch to pulse the brake shut down . hoping one day to use a pulse off of the ehydro to shut it down. I found a tach source behind the gauge cluster and everything else was pretty basic. and yes, the glow plugs activate.

·
Administrator
21,038 Posts
i did a remote start on my 3320 this spring. used an astro start ( i put them in vehicles.)

I also did one on my polaris ranger.

My 3320 is a ehydro. i used a momentary push button switch to pulse the brake shut down . hoping one day to use a pulse off of the ehydro to shut it down. I found a tach source behind the gauge cluster and everything else was pretty basic. and yes, the glow plugs activate.
Welcome to DT hanson:good2:

Got any pictures of that setup? Can you post some on your rear remote diverter setup as well in the Hydraulics forum?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts