Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a 2025r? I'm going to put in a remote starter.

·
Super Moderator
5,291 Posts
There are two very distinctly different versions of the 2025R so you should probably specify which one you are looking for the diagram for.

I don't have the service manuals for either 2025R version but if it is anything like my 2032R service manual, the wiring diagrams take up a dozen pages.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Can I ask why you would do this? Im only asking as a safety concern. Hydro-static drives can creep so not sure Id want to not be around when it started up. Also, with all the whirling implements, Id be afraid one of my dogs would be walking near it when it started up.

If its just to warm it up, Id more than likely just use a block heater.

Not knocking your decision to making it your own, just curious. :greentractorride:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Can I ask why you would do this? Im only asking as a safety concern. Hydro-static drives can creep so not sure Id want to not be around when it started up. Also, with all the whirling implements, Id be afraid one of my dogs would be walking near it when it started up.

If its just to warm it up, Id more than likely just use a block heater.

Not knocking your decision to making it your own, just curious. :greentractorride:
Set the emergency brake and leave the gear selector in neutral? Its not gonna put itself into gear or disengage the parking brake

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Im interested in finding out how this would work with the glow plugs

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
Many diesel trucks have remote start. My F350 has it. I'm sure it's doable.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Set the emergency brake and leave the gear selector in neutral? Its not gonna put itself into gear or disengage the parking brake

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
how you gonna preheat the heater/glow plugs or whatever?

I like to be in control when I start mine. Look ,listen, look again...take a walk , have a smoke ...whatever

Then go get coffee or ......

Seems like a solution to a problem that don't exist for me

·
Super Moderator
2,589 Posts
I've done a Coolstart remote on my old car, and I'm doing one on my current car. They have a trigger wire that ties into the glow plug light circuit or you can program it for a fixed timed delay before it attempts to start.

I'm sure with the right connections you could have the remote start locked out unless it was in neutral and the park brake set. They do it already on manual transmission cars.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Although I never use the one on my car, the neighbor likes to run his truck for a half hour in the morning...Its a matter of taste:hi:

I like the early morning suffering till the seat heat and steering wheel heat kicks in in the suv:hide:...On the tractor I depend on the heat from the exhaust...I got a say steering wheel heat warms my whole body, wish every vehicle had it...:bigthumb:

·
Registered
776 Posts
With the starter interlocks, having the trans in neutral is the only way it would start anyway. Certainly keep the parking brake set, so we don't have another "rollaway" thread. But I'm also wondering why OP wants to do this in the first place.

·
Premium Member
13,034 Posts
Reactions: Toughsox

·
Registered
853 Posts
If the tractor moving by accident is a concern (as in the parking brake is not trusted), the wheels could be chocked at the last use. Easy fix. I would probably figure out how to remote or time start a block heater instead. That might be better than a cloud of fumes when you get out there.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
My bride has always had remote start on her vehicles, if the garage was consumed by one of my projects. It is rather space consuming and she had to feed it/me.

Reactions: Toughsox

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Would be a fairly simple affair without a wiring diagram if you know your way around a multimeter.

As to the rest of the concerns, any good remote start unit will have several trigger wires that can be connected to any number of things.
One to the glow plug light, to wait for it to go out before it cranks, another could be connected to the brake light, so that it wont start if the brake isnt set.
There are lots of things one could do for safety, but putting a remote start on a tractor is probably as easy a vehicle as it gets.
The concern should be about what CAN happen. Saying one will chock the wheels, or set the brake each time is a great idea, but unless the unit can verify that, there WILL be a time it doesnt happen. When I was younger, I installed probably 1000s of remote starts. On just about anything with an engine. Put one on a motorcycle, and a manual transmission car (a few of these). Both had to sign a book full of waivers. The motorcycle guy accidentally activated it once and the bike was, of course, in gear. Fell over and did quite a bit of damage. One of the manual guys fired his up one cold morning and it ran into a tree. Luckily the tree was there, because it would have run down the road otherwise. It was the ONE time he forgot to put it in neutral.
Accidents happen, routines are missed sometimes...things to think about.
There is no way to make sure the throttle isnt set higher than youd like either. Forget one time, or bump it, and that wouldnt be the best thing on a cold engine.

The actual use of one on a tractor isnt something Id like, but to each their own.
In my case, my tractor sits inside anyway, so its not necessary, nor would I want one in that case, as the garage could be filled with exhaust fumes with an accidental activation (they do happen).
Its not like its going to heat up the transmission anyway, only use will do that. Heck 10-15 minutes of running at idle wont warm it up much either.

Reactions: Tig and Toughsox

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
remote

I'm a licensed auto tech and put these things in cars,trucks automatics,standards,gas,diesel often. they are full of safety features. I would rather see the wiring schematic rather than poke wires. Yes, the tractor is stored inside when it's home but not at when I have it at my business.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Same as Ford f250 Diesel, GM Duramax od Dodge Cummins Special install for diesel. Drop the bucket and snowblower. Apply park brake and put trans in neutral. Probably not going to roll far when it starts.

·
Premium Member
9,334 Posts
Although I never use the one on my car, the neighbor likes to run his truck for a half hour in the morning...Its a matter of taste:hi:

I like the early morning suffering till the seat heat and steering wheel heat kicks in in the suv:hide:...On the tractor I depend on the heat from the exhaust...I got a say steering wheel heat warms my whole body, wish every vehicle had it...:bigthumb:
I think I can see what might be next on the OP's wiring diagram plans.........if the vehicle is running, why not warm the seat and steering wheel? :laugh:

and some tractor operators with cabs get razzed all of the time about our heaters and windshield washers.....let's face it, we have come a long ways from the "Little House on Prairie Family Wagon" to town days......No wonder those people lived so much shorter on average.....

Reactions: chex313

·
Registered
135 Posts
This would be fairly easy, and if done properly just as safe as a remote starter in a car.

I thought of putting one on my 1025R because I have a PTO Generator. I would want the remote starter because if done correctly it could actually be safer than starting it with the key and then walking away. For example, I would hook shutdown inputs to both the High Temp and Low Oil Pressure lights. This way if either comes on while I'm away from the tractor the engine would immediately shutdown preventing any serious damage.

When doing a remote starter on a diesel engine, the best way is to hook up the "wait to start wire" to the glow plug or glow plug light. Lazy installers will just program a fixed "wait to start time". Though this works fine, in cold temps the timing you choose may not be enough.

I'd make sure you have the parking brake wire hooked up so it can't start if the parking brake isn't on, and I'd also hook up to the neutral safety switch to prevent start if left in gear.

·
Premium Member
13,034 Posts
This would be fairly easy, and if done properly just as safe as a remote starter in a car.

I thought of putting one on my 1025R because I have a PTO Generator. I would want the remote starter because if done correctly it could actually be safer than starting it with the key and then walking away. For example, I would hook shutdown inputs to both the High Temp and Low Oil Pressure lights. This way if either comes on while I'm away from the tractor the engine would immediately shutdown preventing any serious damage.

When doing a remote starter on a diesel engine, the best way is to hook up the "wait to start wire" to the glow plug or glow plug light. Lazy installers will just program a fixed "wait to start time". Though this works fine, in cold temps the timing you choose may not be enough.

I'd make sure you have the parking brake wire hooked up so it can't start if the parking brake isn't on, and I'd also hook up to the neutral safety switch to prevent start if left in gear.
I don't believe any of these tractors require the parking brake to be set in order to start. As such there is no sense switch on the parking brake lever.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts