Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys you helped me get the PTO unstuck (bearing froze), and solenoid replaced, now I have a rusty gas tank and I need to remove it and clean it out. Any suggestions on cleaning it out and how do you get the steering rod out of the hood to take it off to get to gas tank. Don't see anything in manuals other than removing the worm gear on top of the pesdestal where the 4 bolts are on the Right side of tractor as looking from seat. If so how do you drain the oil in there. thanks, Gregg. OH and I promise to get pics as soon as I get it back together. Next project will be working on the clutch, something rattling in there also.

·
Administrator
18,300 Posts
No more help until me see some pictures, you have been cut off-Randy told me to tell you that BTW:laugh:

Just kidding of course...

I can't help with the steering rod, but there are products out there to re-condition the tank-a lot guys use then when restoring old motorcycles and such. Click here: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=gas+tank+restoration

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
I forgot to mention this is on my 53, JD 50 tractor.
Not trying to hijack the thread but once you get it cleaned out, all the tractor mechanics around here who work on vintage tractors strongly recommend using 100% gasoline in the older tractors. They say it causes less condensation and thus less rust along with other benefits. YMMV.

Good luck,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts