Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must have hit a few things with my hydraulic filter on the bottom of my 2305 (who though that was a good place for a filter?), and I have a Class I leak (drop or two a day) from the filter. I still have another 100+ hours before having to change the transmission fluid.

Question:

If I pull the filter to change it, will all of the fluid spill out?

What about if I use the FEL to jack the front end up pretty good while doing this?

Any thoughts are welcome.

Rich

·
Registered
709 Posts
I was told by the dealer I can replace the filter on a 1 series without draining the fluid. I am not sure if the setup is the same on the 2. I am interested as I figured the same thing can happen to mine.
:empathy:

·
Administrator
20,917 Posts
I have no idea....:unknown:

But I suggest you might want to be ready with a large catch pan just in case. Let us know what you find. :hi:

·
Registered
709 Posts
Good advice Diesel. I use a catch pan whenever I remove filter just in case. If your filter is straight horizontal you will need something under it to catch at least a little so you may as well be prepared if you need to catch more.

Even taking the the precautions of a catch pan, I am still fully capable of making a mess. My wife lets me know it all the time.
:nunu:

I don't remember being this way when I was younger. Could be I am remembering less and less nowadays! :dunno:

·
Premium Member
12,819 Posts
The 2305 transmission filter looks like it is only a couple inches above the drain plug. You would probably have to stand the tractor on its back wheels to avoid fluid coming out.

If it were me, I would simply do an early transmission service and then resume the 200 hour interval. Otherwise you're going to be throwing the filter away early at the next interval.

Alternatively, like Diesel suggested, have a catch pan ready and be prepared to add some back in.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
FYI I brought a shield for that filter on ebay, after I put a good dent in mine. Not sure if still available, made by inventive...I am about to change the filter out but if going that far am going to do fluid and screen as well. second time to be done on tractor and I only have 150 hrs on it. But this year is 5 year anniversary, so going to change all fluids and filters.

·
Registered
709 Posts
FYI I brought a shield for that filter on ebay, after I put a good dent in mine. Not sure if still available, made by inventive...I am about to change the filter out but if going that far am going to do fluid and screen as well. second time to be done on tractor and I only have 150 hrs on it. But this year is 5 year anniversary, so going to change all fluids and filters.
Sounds like a good idea on the guard. I may look into something for my 1 series. It is not an issue on my larger tractors (BTW they are not JD). I would change the fluid and clean the screen like you also. I know there is still enough residual debris in my system from the original build to warrant it even though I did the 50 hr change. I am at 93 hours now and plan on another system clean out at about 150 hours.

If you can, would you be able to pull the filter before draining and let us know how much fluid spills?

·
Registered
446 Posts

Do you have any more info on that shield? Sounds like a great idea. I looked on ebay for filter shields and found nothing.
Thanks

·
Registered
709 Posts
Do you have any more info on that shield? Sounds like a great idea. I looked on ebay for filter shields and found nothing.
Thanks

:munch:

·
Administrator
18,351 Posts
Thanks
I can't do it now for you now, but try searching eBay for "skid plate 1026"

There was a guy making them for the 2210 and 2305 tractors, not sure about the 1 series.

·
Administrator
20,917 Posts
I haven't seen one for a 1 series. There's no real need for one since there's no exposed fan like the 2305 has.

·
Registered
709 Posts
a few months ago I would not have worried about it. After using it to clear some areas in the woods at my deer lease and pulling out some rather large hard to remove pieces of wood from under the tractor, I think it would do me well to add some protection. One of my larger tractors had hydraulic problems and I had the 1025 there as a backup. I was surprised, my 1025 did a much better job than I expected given the circumstances. Some extra protection for weak areas would be nice.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I looked and there were none listed, the guy who makes them is enventive, if a few of you wanted them I bet you could send him a email thru ebay and he will build them for you....if you want I can take a picture of mine on the tractor.

and for clarification, I got a fan guard and a hydro filter guard, 2 separate guards...from the same guy. Also I think the exposed fan and hydro filter issues are with the 2210 and 2305 tractors....

·
Registered
709 Posts
I looked and there were none listed, the guy who makes them is enventive, if a few of you wanted them I bet you could send him a email thru ebay and he will build them for you....if you want I can take a picture of mine on the tractor.

and for clarification, I got a fan guard and a hydro filter guard, 2 separate guards...from the same guy. Also I think the exposed fan and hydro filter issues are with the 2210 and 2305 tractors....
A picture would be great. I want to check into it. I have had tractors and 4x4's for many years and I know what can go wrong will go wrong in the most inopportune moments. This is especially true when you get off the beaten path with them. I like to add extra protection when I can.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Photo of hydro filter and fan guard

photo 1.JPG photo 3-3.JPG photo 4.JPG photo 2-3.JPG

Reactions: Ultrapile

·
Registered
709 Posts
At first glance I saw the fan guard and not the filter guard. The filter guard looks good and stout. Does it have a way for water to escape when it gets wet? Maybe the back side is open?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts