Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems you need a special or perhaps a flex socket to be able to remove one of the bolts on the starter motor. Really JD, can't you make it a little easier for DIY repair. Anyone know a trick or do I buy the universal socket and try again. The plastic starter gear is completely worn, can I change the gear without removing starter? Need help on this one.

·
Administrator
20,363 Posts
JD doesn't design small engines from other companies. But you can expect to need a special tool every now and again to work on virtually anything. While I'm not familiar with your particular tractor, I doubt you'll be able to change just the gear. Have you checked to see if you can even get the gear separate from the starter?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I searched LT166 on JD parts and it shows the gear for the starter and you can buy just the gear. It is held on the shaft by a C-clip on the end of the starter. You should be able to take it off with starter in place. Be sure key is off if you try it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So I was able to remove the clip and get to the gear but it's not going to get past the flywheel, even if I was able to get the old (no teeth left) gear off the new one (with teeth ) would not get past the flywheel. I am going to get a 13mm flex socket tomorrow and try to get the starter off.
I know the engine is made by Briggs not JD, but on other lawn tractors its so easy you can even get a wrench on that bolt, mine is a pain... as usual. I can get a new starter drive from JD dealer for around $24.00 which might be better than just getting a new gear. Thanks for the replies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts