Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I put this woven wire up last fall. Now I need to take the wire down and I can't figure out how the hell you get these staples out. I can't get a grip on them with the fencing pliers. And trying to hammer the pointy end under the staple to pry it out also doesn't work.

Is there some technique that I'm missing here? Or should I just cut the wire off the staples and probably ruin several sets of wire cutters but at least get the job done?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,720 Posts
Not trying to sound like a smart a$$,

You did try hammering the pointed end of fence pliers with hammer under the staple.

:dunno::dunno:

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Can you use a regular pair of dikes to get a bite on the staple and pry it out?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not trying to sound like a smart a$$,

You did try hammering the pointed end of fence pliers with hammer under the staple?
Lol yes. But maybe I'm being to gentle trying to not to damage the post. I'll go try beating the crap out of it a little harder.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,442 Posts
Lol yes. But maybe I'm being to gentle trying to not to damage the post. I'll go try beating the crap out of it a little harder.
Probably, I've never had an issue.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, yes I was being too gentle. But this is going to be way more effort than it's worth hammering the crap out of it for every staple then pulling it out.

So I think I'm just going to loosen the staple a little, which only takes a few hits. Then I can just cut the wire and slip it right out.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,442 Posts
Sometime I just drive the claws of a claw hammer down straddling the staple and use the wire itself for pulling the staple.
Why the barb staples?

·
Super Moderator
5,101 Posts

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I was building it, a coworker who's out up miles upon miles if fence said to use barbed staples. I'm guessing that may have been overkill.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
They worked

When I was building it, a coworker who's out up miles upon miles if fence said to use barbed staples. I'm guessing that may have been overkill.
They are perfect for long term fence, not so good for temporary. Just be glad the posts aren't locust. Then you would be cutting the staples for sure.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well it's a long-term permanent fence. I just decided the woven wire attached to it looks like crap. So I plan to replace the woven wire with something that looks better. Maybe black welded wire or something like that.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I see where you don't want to mark up the posts. Over kill on staples..

You could put a flatbar behind pliers before you pry to minimise marking.

They make these slidhammer old school nailremovers that would work if you can still get them.

Hammer works to sink jaws it has a leg to pry nails out too. Put something under leg to keep post clean.

Most roofers have them to remove/replace plywood when needed.

like this... https://www.amazon.com/Crescent-56-Home-Tools-Pullers/dp/B00002N7SD/ref=asc_df_B00002N7SD/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309811990469&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10629768639435341549&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032901&hvtargid=pla-523770244270&psc=1

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
I don’t understand why the nipper on the fencing pliers won’t grip them. Are the wore out? Poor quality? I have pulled out 1000’s of staples, and never had an issue:dunno:

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don’t understand why the nipper on the fencing pliers won’t grip them. Are the wore out? Poor quality? I have pulled out 1000’s of staples, and never had an issue:dunno:
The end pinches on the sides of the staple. They can't actually get the around the staple because it's hammered in. Once I pry the staple out a bit with the pointy end (I'm sure it has a technical name), then I can get the pinchers around it and pull it out.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
These are my Granddads old fencing pliers. I put the pointed end in whacking hammer end with a hammer. Once it's up about 1/4" I grab with vice grips and out with claw hammer.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk
Those are nice
Built opposite of the newer style in the Upper jaw area. Double jaw to pull on wire vs single to grab staple head...hmmm
And they are flat where it would lay when pulling a staple vs the newer that have been ground to a point for whatever reason.

I'll have to find a pair of those

·
Registered
240 Posts
Those are nice
Built opposite of the newer style in the Upper jaw area. Double jaw to pull on wire vs single to grab staple head...hmmm
And they are flat where it would lay when pulling a staple vs the newer that have been ground to a point for whatever reason.

I'll have to find a pair of those
Thanks! They're great.
Crescent 1936-10 made in USA.
I see some on eBay.
Grandad (rip) and Dad (rip) had lots of great tools I inherited.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ya if my fencing pliers had a tip like that, I would probably be able to get them out a little easier.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
I guess I'm the only one that uses a long thin screwdriver?:unknown: Might be a little harder with those barbs.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts