Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2018 1025r
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I am planning to use my 1025r to remove 18 mature (20+ years old) arborvitae bushes that are are solidly rooted around a rock wall that is located just off the corner of our home.

Each bush has a clump of several trunks, and the main trunks are 1.5-2.5" thick.

I'm planning to remove one bush at a time.

All these bushes are located on a slope, but depending on the bush being removed, the front tractor wheels will either be on on a 7-12% slope up toward the bushes, or on level ground... however, but rear wheels will always be on level ground or very minor slope up toward the bushes.

Right now I am considering the following approaches:

a) Wrap 5/16" chain around base of a single bush, and pull chain with a hook mounted on the front frame of tractor (not loader), and use ballast on the rear weight bracket

b) Wrap 5/16" chain around base of a single bush, and pull chain with a hook on the rear ballast weight bracket, and use ballast on the front weight bracket

c) Use a Heavy Hitch tooth bar mounted on the loader bucket, and use ballast on the rear weight bracket. I am not sure if this will remove the bushes or just loosen them. If the tooth bar will not remove the bushes, then I would loosen them with the tooth bar and then pull them out using chain on the front or back of the tractor.

Attached you will find a few pictures that give an decent idea of the bushes I plan to remove, and I would appreciate your thoughts on the best way to remove them.

Thanks!
Plant Property Sky Window Tree Plant Natural landscape Tree Branch Land lot Plant Plant community Natural environment Natural landscape Road surface Plant Plant community Flower Natural landscape Vegetation

·
Premium Member
18,066 Posts
I would think , wrapping a chain around the bush and have the rear 3pt in lowest position, Then use the 3pt to pull the bush out of the ground.

Reactions: WCN1025

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I am always amazed at how the smallest tree/shrub has titanium roots to hell and large trees pull out with nary an effort. They are all different and you will just have to try and see. That tire idea looks pretty slick to me if it works.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I wouldn’t pull from the three point. Either pull from the drawbar on the rear or from the front of the tractor in reverse. The spare tire trick is good advice too. If you have a 4x4 vehicle with Low range that will give a little more weight and power than your tractor. Maybe for a little digging around the base of the bushes then pull them out.

·
Premium Member
18,066 Posts
I would think , wrapping a chain around the bush and have the rear 3pt in lowest position, Then use the 3pt to pull the bush out of the ground.
I wouldn’t pull from the three point. Either pull from the drawbar on the rear or from the front of the tractor in reverse. The spare tire trick is good advice too. If you have a 4x4 vehicle with Low range that will give a little more weight and power than your tractor. Maybe for a little digging around the base of the bushes then pull them out.

In other words and maybe the best wording , would be lifting or PULLING the brush up out of the ground.

Reactions: WCN1025 and MTB98

·
Registered
2018 1025r
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’d dig them out with a mattocks. Wouldn’t want the roots pulling down the cobble retaining wall. Try one to see how hard it is, might chop right out. Could try the chain over the wheel trick
Hmmmm... I didn't think bout the possibility that pulling roots could damage the rock retaining wall... and, I surely don’t want to damage that rock retaining wall! I’ve seen videos of people using a spare tire/rim, and that seems to work good, but I don’t have those, and that might also pull roots kinda like the tractor. In days before I bought my 1025, I used a farm jack to pull shrubs and small tree stumps, but that will also pull roots similar to what the tractor would do. Think I’ll try to pull one bush with the tractor, slow and easy like, to see how that goes... maybe I’ll have to chop some of the roots if they go under the rock wall?

Reactions: etcallhome

·
Registered
2018 1025r
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is there any real chance I could damage the 3pt?

·
Registered
2018 1025r
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you have a bar across the lower arms through the mounting holes and chain up to that and just lift straight up it should be fine. You’ll hit the hydro bypass before anything breaks.
I have a hook on my 3pt mounted weight bracket that I could pull chain with... I could hook on with the 3pt in lowest position and then either pull up with the 3pt while keeping the tractor stationary... or pull laterally by moving the tractor forward. Would this likely cause any damage to the tractor?

Reactions: etcallhome

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I have a hook on my 3pt mounted weight bracket that I could pull chain with... I could hook on with the 3pt in lowest position and then either pull up with the 3pt while keeping the tractor stationary... or pull laterally by moving the tractor forward. Would this likely cause any damage to the tractor?
That will work just pulling up while stationary. You can pull forward too, just don’t start jerking on it really hard. It will probably take a combination of techniques and angles to get them loose. What are you going to put there in their place? Cutting them off below ground level with a reciprocating saw will be a lot easier than pulling them if you don’t really need to do so.

·
Premium Member
18,066 Posts
With a rear quick hitch wrap the chain at the very top of quick hitch , but first have the 3pt at lowest position, Then hook your chain as tight as you can and then raise the 3pt hitch with lever , it will lift apx 3-6" at a time should only take 1 maybe 2 lifts .
or as others , hook the same as above and just use the tractor to pull down the hill .
1st way shouldn't hurt your wall, the first one you pull should be able to tell if it will hurt your wall.

·
Registered
2018 1025r
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That will work just pulling up while stationary. You can pull forward too, just don’t start jerking on it really hard. It will probably take a combination of techniques and angles to get them loose. What are you going to put there in their place? Cutting them off below ground level with a reciprocating saw will be a lot easier than pulling them if you don’t really need to do so.
Thanks! My wife will put some combination of plants and flowers, but not sure what yet. It would be good for most of the old roots to be gone, but not good if I damage that retaining wall!

·
Registered
2018 1025r
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
With a rear quick hitch wrap the chain at the very top of quick hitch , but first have the 3pt at lowest position, Then hook your chain as tight as you can and then raise the 3pt hitch with lever , it will lift apx 3-6" at a time should only take 1 maybe 2 lifts .
or as others , hook the same as above and just use the tractor to pull down the hill .
1st way shouldn't hurt your wall, the first one you pull should be able to tell if it will hurt your wall.
Thanks! Sounds like it might be best to lift using the hook on my rear weight bracket mounted to the 3pt... but if I pull with the tractor, would it be better to pull with chain attached to hook on the front or back of the tractor?

·
Premium Member
18,066 Posts
Guess that would be your choice , try both ways . I like to see what is happening without turning my body into a pretzel. . :)
IMO I don't think it would make much difference. from the front or back . If from the back attach to lower draw bar

·
Registered
2018 1025r
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Guess that would be your choice , try both ways . I like to see what is happening without turning my body into a pretzel. . :)
IMO I don't think it would make much difference. from the front or back . If from the back attach to lower draw bar
I understand that! Thats one reason I am thinking bout pulling from the hook on my front receiver. I don’t have a rear drawbar... do you have a recommendation for one I could install?

·
Premium Member
18,066 Posts
For a drawbar , TSC or Rural King is usually cheaper than JD dealer. .

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
If you have an HH tooth bar you can drop the teeth straight down directly behind the bush(s) and drag backwards. That should work on those little things, but it doesn't then use a chain around the base of the bush and attached to the bucket. Lift up, then pull back. Either of these methods should save the wall.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts