Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a run in with a skunk today, and he sprayed the side of my barn. It's a stain about 6" around. I can't even touch it with soap and water. I tried clorox wet wipes too. Any advice?

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Since Clorox didn't touch it, and that is a base, maybe try something acidic, such as vinegar. Also, any soap you use should be good at cutting thru grease and oils, such as Dawn, or even Go-jo hand cleaner. There will be an oily base to that musk.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I am not sure if this helps but my mom and dad hit a skunk with their car many years ago and my dad told me that he finally got the smell out....the day he sold it. As for your problem, if the area that got sprayed is wood I am not sure that you can do anything to get it out as it has likely soaked into the wood. You could try pressure washing it but that might strip the paint of PT in the wood.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not sure if this helps but my mom and dad hit a skunk with their car many years ago and my dad told me that he finally got the smell out....the day he sold it. As for your problem, if the area that got sprayed is wood I am not sure that you can do anything to get it out as it has likely soaked into the wood. You could try pressure washing it but that might strip the paint of PT in the wood.
It's not the smell I'm concerned about, it's the stain. It's metal where it's stained.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The mixture to wash it out of the dog is:

1 qt 3% hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda
1-2 teaspoons of dish soap

Works on the dog, might work on the stain. My guess is the peroxide would do the most good.:unknown:

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
When I nuked the skunk on our pavement 3 days before the wedding, the best option was time. It took a few weeks, but it eventually dissipated.

FG's chemist style advice is sound......IMO.

-J.

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
I had a run in with a skunk today, and he sprayed the side of my barn. It's a stain about 6" around. I can't even touch it with soap and water. I tried clorox wet wipes too. Any advice?
Arlen, I know it's not the smell you are concerned with but how about rubbing compound because it is metal? The only issue I see with that is you may have to do more then just the spot because of the shine? You can always get the shine out of course, just ask my brother his cars don't shine worth a darned!~ . I had a skunk in my pool once and while pushing it off my deck it sprayed on the decking, Plastic Aztec decking not wood, you know that 50 dollar a piece for a 12 footer crap. I used my pressure washer and it got that yellow colored stain out with no problem.. Use the same detergent you would use on a dozer to get grease off. Took the smell away too.. Arlen, one question; did you off the skunk?!!!! Jeff

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Arlen, one question; did you off the skunk?!!!! Jeff
Yes, he was hiding in my snowblower. He sprayed all over that too. I had to get right up to him because the snowblower was parked tight up against the building, but I did get a shot at him with my pellet gun with a laser site.
I was lucky I didn't get sprayed much. I just got a little "spritz"...just enough for my co workers to notice:mocking:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,265 Posts
It's not the smell I'm concerned about, it's the stain. It's metal where it's stained.
You did say it was a barn, right? I'd want the smell gone but the stain, it's a barn. Does that stuff make metal rust? :dunno:

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
:ttiwwp::laugh:

We have skunks in the neighborhood, we can smell them, but have never seen what they can do. So I'm curious.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Tom - are you hoping for a scratch and sniff pic???

-J.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
You did say it was a barn, right? I'd want the smell gone but the stain, it's a barn. Does that stuff make metal rust? :dunno:
"barn" is a broad term.

Some are dilapidated, leaning, unsafe storage buildings, some are an unheated concrete pad for your tractor, others are beautiful timberframes with a stage and wrought iron horse stall doors......

-J.

ps - some are 24'x24' garage packages, labelled as a "barn" for insurance purposes.........

·
Registered
365 Posts
The mixture to wash it out of the dog is:

1 qt 3% hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda
1-2 teaspoons of dish soap

Works on the dog, might work on the stain. My guess is the peroxide would do the most good.:unknown:
^^^^^What he said^^^^^

Not sure if this is going to work on metal, but this did get the yellow stain and the odor out of a white dog, although it did take numerous attempts. Best of luck.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
"barn" is a broad term.....

.........others are beautiful timberframes with a stage and wrought iron horse stall doors......
That best describes my barn...It cost more to build than my house did:hide:

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
That best describes my barn...It cost more to build than my house did:hide:
I would like to see that.....

PICS PLEASE!!!....in a new thread.

I want one of those, one day.

-J.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would like to see that.....

PICS PLEASE!!!....in a new thread.

I want one of those, one day.

-J.
Well I think I'm allowed to hijack my own thread.
This is the best I could do on short notice.

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,693 Posts
You have a beautiful place there Arlen. :drinks:

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Arlen; All I can say is....Wow! I had seen glimpses of the inside of your barn, in the video of the donkeys and dogs that you posted some time back. I knew it was nice, but I had no idea it was *THAT* nice. BEAUTIFUL! :good2:

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
No snow??????

Dave

1 - 20 of 27 Posts