Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished my first oil change on my "new" 2009. Getting to the oil filter was a treat but I figured that out. What didn't go so well was trying to get a grip on it for removal. I've got three oil filter wrenches, not one of them could get into that space and grab on. Ended up using tongue and groove pliers and got 'er done.

Would prefer something a little more elegant if any of you would care to share.

·
Premium Member
12,793 Posts
Can you post a photo of the oil filter location? It would give us a better idea of what type of wrench might work best.

·
Premium Member
12,793 Posts
I found a 2305 engine photo in the manual. That looks like the same location as my 2720. I use one of the "cap" style wrenches with a ratchet and it gets right in there and unscrews it.

I've also used one these Lisle wrenches. Works on both the engine and transmission spin-on filters.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I've had several different filter wrenches. This is the most reliable in use. Doesn't slip. Doesn't crush the filter can, with various socket wrenches, flex joint, and extension can be used in any location and orientation. Each size covers a couple filters.

1593566281968.png

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I have a vice Grip oil filter pliers. They worked very well, filter bends a bit when you clamp down on it. But it’s toast anyway.

·
Registered
302 Posts
You clearly dont have enough filter wrenches.
I have at least one of everyone shown and several that aren't, strap wrench, chain wrench

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your responses, clearly having three filter wrenches is not nearly enough:ROFLMAO: I'm leaning towards the one shown in post #4. Next oil change will be a little easier.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
I have probably 6 or 8 different filter wrenches. Metal cap, plastic cap of all different sizes, and 2 sizes of the metal strap using ratchet (post #4). The cap style is convenient, but the metal strap (post #4) seems to the the most versatile. And for filters too small for my smallest one, I have used them with a shop towel wrapped around the filter, works. I haven't had to stab a filter with my screwdriver since getting those.

·
Registered
223 Posts
PS … If the wrench in post #4 does slip, a piece of coarse abrasive cloth wrapped sand against can provides much better grip.

·
Registered
344 Posts
One of my cap style wrenches was slipping on last oil change so I drilled and tapped a small hole in side. Maybe 10-32 and with just a small turn on the screw it solves the problem. Don’t have to drive it into the filter although always an option if needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Premium Member
9,186 Posts
The old fashioned rubber strap wrenches are also handy to have for these projects....Plus they aren't expensive. Interesting, the exact same wrench is sold at Harbor Freight for $5 and on Amazon for $12.

·
Premium Member
12,793 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts