Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2,000 sq ft barn that is over 80 years old. The foundation is mostly 8x8 timbers sitting on concrete blocks (some on the ground). Rot and settling means this barn will slowly fall down. The wood from 12 inches and up is old growth doug fir and is in great shape. (Today, I just met the barn owl who's bee dropping pellets for years.)

Should I:
1. Jack it up and pour a concrete foundation, stem wall and floor?
2. Deconstruct it and rebuild just what I want out of the solid materials?

If I do #2, I'll probably turn it into my dream woodshop (I've got my eyes on some 3x6 double t&G fir that would make a great shop floor).

On the other hand, the preservationist in me says save the old barn.

Opinions?

·
Premium Member
7,995 Posts
That is a tough one.

I'd ask the owl. I hear they are wise. :think:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,123 Posts
As rtgt said, tough one.
Any pictures you can share? To include the whole barn.
How's the roof look?
I seem to think there may be other things in need of repair.
Once the foundation is fixed is the barn something you can really use or just get by on?
How many years do you plan on using either the barn or the new building?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Here's some photos.
foundation.JPG
View attachment 26909
View attachment 26910
interior.JPG

Does need a new roof, and many other repairs (seems someone ran into the corner of the barn when he was learning how far the loader on his new tractor stuck out).

If I repair the barn, I'll use it for hay and tools, and then build a separate shop buuilding.
If a replace it and use the materials for a shop I'll build a smaller tractor shed and store hay under a vinyl cover.

Either way I'll use it until I'm dead...somewhere between 1 day and 30 years.

Attachments

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,123 Posts
Do the repairs.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
What's wrong with the roof? The roof on my garage looks like that. A few of the nails that hold the metal roofing down lost their rubber washers over the years, so occasionally I have to replace one with a new roofing screw and I toss some roofing tar on any other worn looking spots when I'm up there. I figure the roof is already older than me and should easily outlast me.
I'd lean towards repairs, the barn looks to be in pretty good shape.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I have a 200 + year old barn that I have put new concrete footings under almost every post, a new 8x8 pressure treated sill all around, new pine 1x12 siding all new pine roof sheathing and the second asphalt roof 3 years ago. Replaced many posts and beams, lots of new floor joists and flooring and poured some slabs over a 25+ year span. 37' x 50' 3 stories. Old barns have soul you have to fix them, they don't have to be perfect or restored but they do need to be saved. Do the work you will and your neighbors will cherish it for years. Have fun and be safe!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts