Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello 馃憢 I am new to the forum thank you for your help. Is there a service that would allow me to lone out my attachments or tractor for rent in my area? Kinda like Airbnb for tractors I guess. I see some stuff on Google but has anyone done this before? It would sure make it easer to justify the backhoe with my 1025r if I knew I could rent it out to pay for its self a bit haha

Registered
While extra incoming rental fees would be nice, be sure to direct a portion to a contingency account for repairs, parts, and maintenance.

I have never rented out anything, but have loaned my tractor and my equipment trailer on occasion. I have yet to get tractor or trailer back without some problem or damage that the person I loaned them to never saw or recognized (or maybe just ignored). A loan of either usually takes me around a full day of my labor to correct it back to the starting point. but I am pretty picky about minor things like paint chips and dents and scrapes.

What is your own tolerance level for damage?

Super Moderator
There are a couple dozen apps/sites out there for doing this but I kinda like my stuff so no way I'm listing anything on them.

Registered
Rent yourself and the tractor.

Renting just the machine is asking for trouble.....you may never see it again.
May void the warentee
the lists of cons is endless.

Registered
I wouldn't lend my tractor out but if there was someone of whose responsible habits I was familiar with I might lend out or swap usage of accessories.

In my case I have a seldom used box blade. I would entertain letting someone box blade something for a day while they trade me their aerator to do my lawn. Similar to the GTT tire grooving tool though we'd have to have a gentleman's agreement about care and breakage. As an example, my retired farmer neighbor has larger equipment and a 7' box blade at the farm but at the house he recently bought a Kubota SCUT. I've already told him to come and take the box blade at will if he needs it.

Around me there aren't anyone who rents out small 3-point accessories though I mention it to rental places often hoping they might rent things that are used only occasionally.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the forum ..
Unless you don't like your machine... renting it to the public is likely to get it broken or bent. Worst case, you get sued and have a broken machine. There's a thread (actually many threads) about loaning a machine and getting back broken.
Wow that is terrifying. Thanks for the heads up. I can see where someone with little knowledge would rent something from me and just just beat the 馃挬 out of it because it鈥檚 a rental. This is kinda why I was asking if there was a service like Airbnb with agreements, insurance etc.

Registered
In my case I have a seldom used box blade. I
My first thought was the only implement I would possibly do that with was my box blade since it's about as basic an implement as there is. I'd hesitate to even do that with my box blade, though, unless it was a situation like yours and the aerator.

Reactions: Pigpen

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rent yourself and the tractor.

Renting just the machine is asking for trouble.....you may never see it again.
May void the warentee
the lists of cons is endless.
Good feedback, I definitely don鈥檛 want to void the warranty. Can you give me an example of how it would?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wouldn't lend my tractor out but if there was someone of whose responsible habits I was familiar with I might lend out or swap usage of accessories.

In my case I have a seldom used box blade. I would entertain letting someone box blade something for a day while they trade me their aerator to do my lawn. Similar to the GTT tire grooving tool though we'd have to have a gentleman's agreement about care and breakage. As an example, my retired farmer neighbor has larger equipment and a 7' box blade at the farm but at the house he recently bought a Kubota SCUT. I've already told him to come and take the box blade at will if he needs it.

Around me there aren't anyone who rents out small 3-point accessories though I mention it to rental places often hoping they might rent things that are used only occasionally.
Yeah this is just the thing. I don鈥檛 have a small 3-point accessories rental place around me either but we are in farmland and I figured I could buy up several used attachments as I come across them and just rent them out to cover their cost. If they come back broken I change the rental insurance for the damages and get them fixed.

Registered
IMO any money you think you will recoup by renting your equipment out will be more than offset (quickly) by wear and tear/damages on it. I remember reading (or hearing) that most people that buy sub-compacts are 1st time tractor owners. That means there's a learning curve - and that's where most of the mistakes are made and probably the roughest time clocked on a tractor. Now imagine the machine going through that every time you rent/lend it out. If you want to recoup some of the costs then hire yourself and the tractor out to do the work. No way would I trust total strangers with my equipment.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
IMO any money you think you will recoup by renting your equipment out will be more than offset (quickly) by wear and tear/damages on it. I remember reading (or hearing) that most people that buy sub-compacts are 1st time tractor owners. That means there's a learning curve - and that's where most of the mistakes are made and probably the roughest time clocked on a tractor. Now imagine the machine going through that every time you rent/lend it out. If you want to recoup some of the costs then hire yourself and the tractor out to do the work. No way would I trust total strangers with my equipment.
i am quickly agreeing with this line of thinking. But what if it was attachments only not the tractor. Does that change your opinion? Like a box blade, bush hog or tiller? With a signed rental agreement with damage insurance. Sounds like this idea is a no go but WDYT?

Premium Member
Good feedback, I definitely don鈥檛 want to void the warranty. Can you give me an example of how it would?
Warranties for the SCUT are based on home user or commercial use, just like the financing agreements (if it's financed via JDF.)

Also note- There's a subframe and powerbeyond on the tractor that are required for use to "share" the BH between tractors. Removing the subframe and installing it on a different tractor renders the tractor unusable without either replacing the sub frame with the non-BH frame supports/components and similar for the Powerbeyond, which is a 2ish hour install. (again requiring parts to complete the removal to permit the tractor to function).

Finally, by loaning out a implement with hydraulic functions, one is exchanging their "known" hydraulic fluid (which isn't cheap to change) with unknown hydraulic fluid that may or may not be compatible (or Warranty voiding) and/or contaminated with water or metal parts, or foreign debris...

In short - A BH attachment, yea, not easy to "rent". Box blades, rakes, etc without hydraulic requirements - Likely not worth the income to offset the potential for damage.

Registered
Who will be this majic insurance company?

That has to fall into some high risk areana.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Warranties for the SCUT are based on home user or commercial use, just like the financing agreements (if it's financed via JDF.)

Also note- There's a subframe and powerbeyond on the tractor that are required for use to "share" the BH between tractors. Removing the subframe and installing it on a different tractor renders the tractor unusable without either replacing the sub frame with the non-BH frame supports/components and similar for the Powerbeyond, which is a 2ish hour install. (again requiring parts to complete the removal to permit the tractor to function).

Finally, by loaning out a implement with hydraulic functions, one is exchanging their "known" hydraulic fluid (which isn't cheap to change) with unknown hydraulic fluid that may or may not be compatible (or Warranty voiding) and/or contaminated with water or metal parts, or foreign debris...

In short - A BH attachment, yea, not easy to "rent". Box blades, rakes, etc without hydraulic requirements - Likely not worth the income to offset the potential for damage.
Ok wow this is why I wanted to post here. Thank you MattL this makes perfect sense.

Just seems a shame to have some implements just sitting around most of the year. Maybe I don鈥檛 buy the BH with the tractor then and just rent a small excavator when I need to dig a trench etc. is that what most people do? Right now I need a trench to my shop and am planning on running a water and power line out to a small cow barn maybe 100 yards. Otherwise not sure if I can justify it on our small 5 acre farm.

Registered
i am quickly agreeing with this line of thinking. But what if it was attachments only not the tractor. Does that change your opinion? Like a box blade, bush hog or tiller? With a signed rental agreement with damage insurance. Sounds like this idea is a no go but WDYT?
Box blade, landscape rake, etc. - a lot less risk on your part. Actually I rented a rake when we put our lawn in, you could tell it was well used, the angle adjustment holes had long been wallowed out, there were an assortment of bolt types/sizes holding the tines on, etc. but still worked. I don't know how you would keep implements from disappearing. Even if you have the persons ID, I think it would a hassle to go after them and even 1 'lost' implement may wipe out all your profits. Bush hog & tiller have moving parts - more risk, and so on down the line as you get to more expensive/complex attachments. I still think the best route is, if you have a tiller, bush hog, etc - price yourself accordingly and hire yourself out with the equipment.

Registered
Buy used implements. They can be had at 1/3 rd or less of new cost.
If you wait and watch ..deals pop up
Sure if money is no object ...buy new ones.
Something you drag through the dirt doesn't care if it has new green paint or no paint......same result.

On the BH
Unless you have lots of use for one.....skip it.
Mini Ex is much handier. rent one...or buy like I did.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Who will be this majic insurance company?

That has to fall into some high risk areana.
Oh I don鈥檛 know. I hoping for some kind of service like Airbnb where I can list the stuff and they help with agreements and insurance but I am quickly abandoning the idea 馃槀 y鈥檃ll are smart and I am just starting out. We have a small 5 acre farm. Thank you for the great insight

1 - 20 of 65 Posts