Green Tractor Talk banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Buy used implements. They can be had at 1/3 rd or less of new cost.
If you wait and watch ..deals pop up
Sure if money is no object ...buy new ones.
Something you drag through the dirt doesn't care if it has new green paint or no paint......same result.

On the BH
Unless you have lots of use for one.....skip it.
Mini Ex is much handier. rent one...or buy like I did.
oh interesting you just bought a mini BH what would I expect to pay for something well used?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Here are some other problems with renting or loaning attachments. How are they going to be transported to the other party? They may need delivery or help loading onto their trailer. There are other problems getting it returned. Will you have to go get it or have to unload it from their trailer? Will you need to use your own equipment while it is gone on loan? I "never" loan or try to rent any of my equipment because of the inconvenience it causes to me and the damage that may happen to the equipment.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Maybe I don’t buy the BH with the tractor then and just rent a small excavator when I need to dig a trench etc. is that what most people do?
There are pros and cons. The excavator can do the job faster, but you have the hassle of renting, towing, fitting the work into the time allotted, returning it. The backhoe is there whenever you want to do something. It will take longer but there's no rush to get out all done. If the job takes longer than expected, you continue on your schedule, not whenever the rental is available again.

Most people on here, if they got the backhoe, seem to be glad they got it. I have seen several people that wished they got it and couldn't find it later.

I bought one on my 1025r and have never regretted it.

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
oh interesting you just bought a mini BH what would I expect to pay for something well used?
It varies ..different parts of the country.
Deals seem to be east of Mississippi River.
I'm in Oregon......no clue where your at.

With the Recession getting ready to hit.....there will be equiptment going up for sale.
Mini EX was cheap...years ago when they still imported the ones from overseas......thats gone now.
Covid hasn't helped either...can't hardly buy new ones without a wait.

I had a need for one....still do...Do a few small jobs each year that pay well.
#100 per hour ++. New small machines are gonna be 30k++

My guess...15k would get something used in time....but not yet.

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
Ok wow this is why I wanted to post here. Thank you MattL this makes perfect sense.

Just seems a shame to have some implements just sitting around most of the year. Maybe I don’t buy the BH with the tractor then and just rent a small excavator when I need to dig a trench etc. is that what most people do? Right now I need a trench to my shop and am planning on running a water and power line out to a small cow barn maybe 100 yards. Otherwise not sure if I can justify it on our small 5 acre farm.
I have a BH. It gets used a fewtimes a year and was purchased for a project that didn't happen (long story). Since having it, its come in handy for several pojects that likely wouldn't have been done if it wasn't "just available". It's no mini-ex and on a SCUT it's function is pretty limited due to its size. That primary project might happen, so having it has already come in a little handy avoiding a "backhoe rental" of $550/half day for some professional services done on the property.

Is it worth it for everyone - no. its about 30% the cost of a mini-x and about a 25% as efficient as a mini-x. However when you own it, time is on your side. The cost/value proposition is one only you can figure out for your situation.

Also noting: many implements are limited use for an average homeowner. Box blade - Regrading a driveway 1-2x a year, maybe. Aerator - 2x a year for a painfully expensive implement. The list goes on..

A loader and pallet forks however are used almost weekly and I originally didn't think I'd need them. ha!

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Buy used implements. They can be had at 1/3 rd or less of new cost.
If you wait and watch ..deals pop up
Sure if money is no object ...buy new ones.
Something you drag through the dirt doesn't care if it has new green paint or no paint......same result.

On the BH
Unless you have lots of use for one.....skip it.
Mini Ex is much handier. rent one...or buy like I did.
Speaking of used implements…

I just sold my 2016 Frontier RC2048 this morning to a neighbor. I used it maybe 6 times in 2016 for initial brush clearing and then have had no further use for it. I paid $1445 in 2016 dollars. A new one today comes to $2301 on the Deere dealer configure it web site. I asked for and got $750 - which is 1/3 of new and 1/2 of what I paid.

In hindsight a rental would have been the way to go if there had been such a place.

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
4,287 Posts
It would sure make it easer to justify the backhoe with my 1025r if I knew I could rent it out to pay for its self a bit haha
Besides what's already been said, were you thinking of just renting the backhoe to someone with a tractor? If so, chances are good that they don't have the sub-frame and mounts, or even the power beyond to power it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Box blade, landscape rake, etc. - a lot less risk on your part. Actually I rented a rake when we put our lawn in, you could tell it was well used, the angle adjustment holes had long been wallowed out, there were an assortment of bolt types/sizes holding the tines on, etc. but still worked. I don't know how you would keep implements from disappearing. Even if you have the persons ID, I think it would a hassle to go after them and even 1 'lost' implement may wipe out all your profits. Bush hog & tiller have moving parts - more risk, and so on down the line as you get to more expensive/complex attachments. I still think the best route is, if you have a tiller, bush hog, etc - price yourself accordingly and hire yourself out with the equipment.
yeah ok I think this
Another thought, buy your implements and take very good care of them. When done with them sell for near what you paid.
Ok so this is really possible? I have a barn for them to all stay indoors. How close can I get to original price selling used? My wife was wondering this as well. I have been paying to get the 5 acre field hogged every few months and am thinking it’s time to make the move to a 1025r and now I want ALL attachments and I don’t even own the tractor yet 😂

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Get the backhoe. You will use it way more than you think. I know I do.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Besides what's already been said, were you thinking of just renting the backhoe to someone with a tractor? If so, chances are good that they don't have the sub-frame and mounts, or even the power beyond to power it.
Thanks for this. I did not realize this we the case. Until I made this post haha. Makes perfect sense.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I have been paying to get the 5 acre field hogged every few months and am thinking it’s time to make the move to a 1025r and now I want ALL attachments and I don’t even own the tractor yet 😂
I'm curious what that costs though I'm sure it can vary a lot by region. Care to share? 🤔 I just did about half an acre of land in the mountains of NC for my neighbor for free just to build good will. She said the people she had contacted to do it were expensive and people were booked up and couldn't get it done in a timely fashion.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I'm curious what that costs though I'm sure it can vary a lot by region. Care to share? 🤔 I just did about half an acre of land in the mountains of NC for my neighbor for free just to build good will. She said the people she had contacted to do it were expensive and people were booked up and couldn't get it done in a timely fashion.
Oh my neighbor charges me $150 each time. But he is doing it to be nice and I am sure it should cost at least a few hundred. He is also motivated to mow because his dogs play in the field and get ticks etc. That probably does not help you much sorry.

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
$150-250 an hour is what the neighbor gets for a 6' cut.

Cabbed K 4ish sized.

As to the BH lovers..

Every 5 acre plot is different.

A guy with a perfect square 5 acres of flat ground with a Bomber house and shop + seperate toyhouse
4 trees and lots of lawn.......has zero use that makes sense for a BH.

Others have wooded lots lots of trees stumps they want gone , no shop ,no toy building , may not even have a house., No septic ,no water lines ,no electric. With time of no essence.....a BH might be a good fit.....it will take a while but its a good tool.

Evaluate your land...make a list of any possible projects you could possibly do with a BH.

It makes sense or it don't.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
$150-250 an hour is what the neighbor gets for a 6' cut.

Cabbed K 4ish sized.

As to the BH lovers..

Every 5 acre plot is different.

A guy with a perfect square 5 acres of flat ground with a Bomber house and shop + seperate toyhouse
4 trees and lots of lawn.......has zero use that makes sense for a BH.

Others have wooded lots lots of trees stumps they want gone , no shop ,no toy building , may not even have a house., No septic ,no water lines ,no electric. With time of no essence.....a BH might be a good fit.....it will take a while but its a good tool.

Evaluate your land...make a list of any possible projects you could possibly do with a BH.

It makes sense or it don't.
Since I can't afford or stow a mini ex, 335 CAT or a 590 Case I have to settle for a 260b backhoe!

Pricey and limited are accurate descriptions about it. It's Slooooooo!

But it's convenience for me is it's #1 attribute. Not used as often as the pallet forks or the loader but for a homeowner-grade tractor on land that's hard to dig it makes sense.

Hopefully when I sell little Johnny and get that new Case 590 I can get part of my the cost of that 260b backhoe back. :D

• Helpful
Reactions: theduke and 3rad

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
Since I can't afford or stow a mini ex, 335 CAT or a 590 Case I have to settle for a 260b backhoe!

Pricey and limited are accurate descriptions about it. It's Slooooooo!

But it's convenience for me is it's #1 attribute. Not used as often as the pallet forks or the loader but for a homeowner-grade tractor on land that's hard to dig it makes sense.

Hopefully when I sell little Johnny and get that new Case 590 I can get part of my the cost of that 260b backhoe back. :D
The @kenguy Hydrosplus Extreme kit really does make a difference in performance with the BH. Still not a Mini-Ex but not nearly as cumbersome as stock. Definitely is a noticeable improvement over stock and much more enjoyable to use, and much cheaper than a mini... 😁

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
The @kenguy Hydrosplus Extreme kit really does make a difference in performance with the BH. Still not a Mini-Ex but not nearly as cumbersome as stock. Definitely is a noticeable improvement over stock and much more enjoyable to use, and much cheaper than a mini... 😁
Johnny still owns mine so I can't do that kind of fun stuff. I'd love a plug-and-play kit to be able to switch the hoe from SAE to ISO controls at will.

Soon up is a project to bury the line that comcrap dug in with a shovel and is now popping out of the ground in places. I keep the free utility locating services in business.

·
Premium Member
10,019 Posts
In four words:
Not a good idea

21 - 40 of 65 Posts