41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,865 Posts
In four words:
Not a good idea
In three words;

No Freaking way.............I would do that with any of my equipment.......

There is a commercial for some personal car rental service where two........"yutes" rent a guy's Porsche and drive around showing it off and acting like its theirs and being big shot "rap star queens".

Then they return the car to the owner who personally appears to be living in a full blown mid life crisis himself wearing his Mr. T starter kit of "gold chains and diamelle pinky rings".............

and reality sets in as they get back into their 87 Kia Jism to drive back home........but they don't show this part on the commercial.

I don't like people enough to want them in my stuff........especially those I don't know.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Everything I ever rented got a workout. However it was always returned intact minus one $20 backhoe tooth

Reactions: Rule292

·
Registered
289 Posts
Kinda like Airbnb for tractors I guess.
An app might exist but most of those kinds of things come out of Silicon Valley and not many people there own tractors. The few that do probably don't have a problem affording anything. So it's unlikely the idea for a service like that exists.

I'd also argue that AirBnB, and to some degree Uber, were formed to replace Classified Ads or Craigslist where people were already providing things like short term rentals. This is why they operate in a "grey" area because supposedly they're just helping people do what they could already do. At least originally that was their justification. Rentals never really had the same issue as people generally don't "rent" their equipment that they're not using to people they don't know. There's also a ton of competition in that space with the big box hardware stores competing with dedicated rental companies. Heck, there's even tool libraries where you can borrow tools for free.

Hence no one has felt the need yet to build a large service catering to people who need to rent tools.

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
4,288 Posts
rent yourself with the machine - as an operator.
only thing needed at that time is liability insurance in case you damage something that belongs to your customer - while working there.
Unless you're using Deere's residential financing which prohibits commercial use of any kind.

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,865 Posts
Unless you're using Deere's residential financing which prohibits commercial use of any kind.
One more reason to pay $$,$$$.$$

(is that enough dollar signs, I guess it is for a SCUT..for now)..... ;)

I rent my tractor out with me operating it. Rate depends upon task and implements needed and whether I like the person or not.......

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
I didnt read through everything, but did experience this; when I was shopping for a small tractor my local dealer had a used 3033R on the lot. I looked at the pictures - it was a clean low hour unit. I called my sales guy there he told me they had loaned it out to one of their big customers and it should be back by the weekend. I waited until Saturday and went to look at it. It came back with damage, bent hard lines underneath, a hole in the grill and a torn place on the bottom of one rear fender. I probably would have still tried to work a deal on it, but I think they had too much in it, and with this damage I couldn't get them to drop the price far enough, I ended up buying new... moral of the story, loaners and rentals get treated rough, real rough. Having experienced this (and many other similar situations), no I would not rent out anything I have, and I am extremely hesitant to loan to friends or even family. I usually just go do the job for them.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hello 👋 I am new to the forum thank you for your help. Is there a service that would allow me to lone out my attachments or tractor for rent in my area? Kinda like Airbnb for tractors I guess. I see some stuff on Google but has anyone done this before? It would sure make it easer to justify the backhoe with my 1025r if I knew I could rent it out to pay for its self a bit haha
Renting out your equipment is tantamount to selling your wife on the open market. You have no idea what will happen when you are not there. Untold amounts of damage and abuse can occur without your knowledge and you'll be left with a worn out hulk in no time. Ever rent a piece of equipment from the local rental dealer? Usually nothing but trouble and often not working very well if at all. I'd rethink that strategy. Better to save up for the BH or whatever than to get it that way. If you only use it occasionally, you'll have that much longer for when you need it again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well I am kinda thinking about renting out attachments only at this point. And my tolerance level for damage is pretty high if it justifies the cost of the attachment all together. I was thinking there would be a signed agreement and insurance involved. Like Airbnb.
Talk to your insurance agent about this concept and the cost for the proper and adequate liability insurance.

·
Registered
2022 John Deere 3038E
22 Posts
Obviously companies do this for a living and make money on it. There is a very successful company in my town that rents compact tractors. Listing for Tractor w/ Loader. My neighbor has rented this JD 3038 several times and is quite happy with being able to do that. They also, obviously, have legal documents renters have to sign off on and so consulting not only your insurance agent but also a lawyer might be a good idea!

My son and I are always looking for ways help pay for our tractor and implements and always fun to brainstorm new ideas. Good luck with whatever you come up with!

·
Registered
2015 3046R Cab
102 Posts
I will only loan my machine to perhaps 2 or 3 of my friends that I trust and already have seat time on my machine.

As far as attachment rental, Sunbelt offers a variety of 3pt attachments, generally suited more for the LCUT than SCUT market, but it would give you an idea of what rates you could get if you decide to rent attachments.

Insurance would be a challenge, even if you form an LLC to handle everything. I have a separate insurance policy that allows me to use my tractor away from home and covers damage to the tractor for breakdowns and negligence on my part, but only for me and not for profit.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ok wow this is why I wanted to post here. Hello 👋 I am new to the forum thank you for your help. Is there a service that would allow me to lone out my attachments or tractor for rent in my area? Kinda like Airbnb for tractors I guess. I see some stuff on Google but has anyone done this before? It would sure make it easer to justify the backhoe with my 1025r if I knew I could rent it out to pay for its self a bit haha
I’m pretty much with everybody else no way would I rent my machine out and hiring myself out isn’t hardly worth the insurance cost. Let me tell you this. I bought a used 2015 1025r in 2017 mmm loader. Was talked out of putting a hoe on it by the salesman. He stated it’s a lot of work and money to put the bh on and you could rent a mini quite a few times for that money. I never got around to renting that mini, something always came up. But I did trade in that 15 for a 2021 TBL. I’ve used the heck out of that bh. Probably still can’t justify the price but I absolutely can justify the convenience!

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Probably still can’t justify the price but I absolutely can justify the convenience!
Hey, you aren't done with it yet! 😄

I didn't think I needed the bh but the wife thought we should. I have used it enough to be glad I have it. And i have other smaller projects in mind I wouldn't have spent the money on a rental for.

·
Premium Member
2022 2025R Cab
254 Posts
Reading this thread has reminded me of a time I was in NW New Mexico. My wife and I were in a bar/restaurant talking to a few locals. I asked if the road into Chaco canyon was passable. One of the locals asked what I was driving, and I told what I had. He asked if I owned it or if it was a rental - and if I owned it not to go.

Reactions: Oscar Leroy

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
snip ..
Probably still can’t justify the price but I absolutely can justify the convenience!
Today, wife and I cleared a fence line, just trimming over hanging branches. We got to a particular tough section. There were trees and briars between the fence and property line encroaching on the fence. That includes some very healthy poison ivy. Couldn't get to the trees the briars were so thick. Brought the Deere 310c backhoe over and tore the snot out of the trees, briars, and poison ivy. Threw it back into the woods. Took at most half hour. Wasn't worth the money or time to rent the TBL yet having the TLB on site was (As the ad says) priceless.

It also allows us to work a few hours in the cool morning and STOP for a shower, change of clothes, lunch and a NAP! We then prepared for a dinner with friends. We'll do it again tomorrow or the next day.

A rental holds us to an expensive schedule regardless of weather or social calendar. Well worth the cost of an old TLB.

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
Today, wife and I cleared a fence line, just trimming over hanging branches. We got to a particular tough section. There were trees and briars between the fence and property line encroaching on the fence. That includes some very healthy poison ivy. Couldn't get to the trees the briars were so thick. Brought the Deere 310c backhoe over and tore the snot out of the trees, briars, and poison ivy. Threw it back into the woods. Took at most half hour. Wasn't worth the money or time to rent the TBL yet having the TLB on site was (As the ad says) priceless.

It also allows us to work a few hours in the cool morning and STOP for a shower, change of clothes, lunch and a NAP! We then prepared for a dinner with friends. We'll do it again tomorrow or the next day.

A rental holds us to an expensive schedule regardless of weather or social calendar. Well worth the cost of an old TLB.
Never dealt with the Ivy but have always been aware that it exists......kinda a thing grandma or whoever always said.

I got poison Oak.....old growth in places.

I know how to get or not to get the p oak.
The pollen sacs in spring will spread it...burning is deadly to some folks.
Don't EVER...chop the vines with a machetti.......sap sprays...it don't end well.

So

How or what/why are the do nots of IVY.......I need education..mostly for fun ..but I like to learn.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts