Green Tractor Talk banner
61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Never dealt with the Ivy but have always been aware that it exists......kinda a thing grandma or whoever always said.

I got poison Oak.....old growth in places.

I know how to get or not to get the p oak.
The pollen sacs in spring will spread it...burning is deadly to some folks.
Don't EVER...chop the vines with a machetti.......sap sprays...it don't end well.

So

How or what/why are the do nots of IVY.......I need education..mostly for fun ..but I like to learn.
Just about the same for poison oak... It's the oil called urushiol. Like an oil, the best treatment is soap, water and a wash cloth. The wash cloth is key to removing the oil from your skin. Soap & water just move it around making it worse.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Never dealt with the Ivy but have always been aware that it exists......kinda a thing grandma or whoever always said.

I got poison Oak.....old growth in places.

I know how to get or not to get the p oak.
The pollen sacs in spring will spread it...burning is deadly to some folks.
Don't EVER...chop the vines with a machetti.......sap sprays...it don't end well.

So

How or what/why are the do nots of IVY.......I need education..mostly for fun ..but I like to learn.
It’s been my experience that’s it’s all about the individual when it comes to Ivy oak and sumac. My wife will get all three just by looking at it. She’s gotten it in her lungs and throat from being around the burn pile. I may or may not get a small rash from prolonged contact. I’ve cut it with hatches hand saw and chainsaw, pulled by hand off the trees and have even run big vines of ivy through the wood chipper. The oil from these plants affects everybody differently. If and when you do get it on you note this. The oil act more like a heavy grease and a quick light wash will not be sufficient enough to remove it from skin of clothing.

·
Registered
2018 1025R with FEL and BH/ Tesla M3
129 Posts
Like Airbnb
You keep saying that, but I am guessing you have never actually made a claim as a host with AirBnb? Its not insurance when a $12 call center employee in India get to make the decisions...

·
Registered
2018 1025R with FEL and BH/ Tesla M3
129 Posts
Renting out your equipment is tantamount to selling your wife on the open market. You have no idea what will happen when you are not there. Untold amounts of damage and abuse can occur without your knowledge and you'll be left with a worn out hulk in no time. Ever rent a piece of equipment from the local rental dealer? Usually nothing but trouble and often not working very well if at all. I'd rethink that strategy. Better to save up for the BH or whatever than to get it that way. If you only use it occasionally, you'll have that much longer for when you need it again.
Wife likely would bounce back...

·
Registered
1978 216 JD, LX178, Lx300, 1025 tractor
8 Posts
I stopped letting my friends and neighbors "borrow" my equipment. They would beat the *crap out of it and bring it back empty and dirty. No more. The straw that broke the camels back was with my Stihl back pack blower. He left it on my porch , empty, with a broken pull cord and a crack on the frame . He did say he was sorry but that didn't cover my cost to repair it. NO MORE

61 - 65 of 65 Posts