Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I just got a new for me 3046R. Overall it's a pretty clean machine except that the bucket looks like it had water sit in it for a long time. Some heavy rust in the bottom of it. I realize it's a tool and buckets aren't supposed to look pretty but I think I should to stop and prevent the heavy rusting. Any recommendations on paints, primers or rust converters?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,002 Posts
I would remove the rust with an angle grinder and flap disc. If painting the entire bucket you can also use the flap disc to scuff the other areas. Prime with any decent spray primer and finish off with JD green spray paint. I've had very good luck with rattle cans. I've had excellent results with JDs spray paint and I've also had just as good results with Rust-Oleums green tractor spray with to my eye has been dead-on to JD green and a lot less expensive than JD rattle cans.

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
I agree with jgayman on the paint, it’s not the cheapest but there is none better than the JD paint IMO.
Also, I’d put the bucket to use first, no better way to remove rust than running it through some gravel, ever seen how rusty a set of discs look in the spring and how shiny they are after you disc just one field?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Id want it cleaned up too.
I also agree with the comments about Deeres paint. Nothing better.
Rustoleum works, as do some of the other off brands, but they are not an exact match to Deeres.
Ive meant to do a comparison for quite a while but something else always comes up.
In Rustoleums case, its just a tad bit darker. You need to have two parts side by side to see it, but its there. Some guys care about this and some dont. In my case, Im getting ready to re-spray a 513 cutter with Rustoleum, but mostly because Im cheap and will end up selling it eventually.

One other thought, and this is just from a future wear/rust resistance standpoint, you could try POR-15 or KBS Coatings. They are incredibly tough.
I painted the chute of my 49 thrower with POR-15s Hardnose paint many many years ago, and most of it is still shiny. There is one chip in it, from a rock a bit bigger than a golf ball. Otherwise, its in excellent shape after all these years.

·
Premium Member
11,002 Posts
Id want it cleaned up too.
I also agree with the comments about Deeres paint. Nothing better.
Rustoleum works, as do some of the other off brands, but they are not an exact match to Deeres.
Ive meant to do a comparison for quite a while but something else always comes up.
In Rustoleums case, its just a tad bit darker. You need to have two parts side by side to see it, but its there. Some guys care about this and some dont. In my case, Im getting ready to re-spray a 513 cutter with Rustoleum, but mostly because Im cheap and will end up selling it eventually.
I suppose there are variations in the paint batches but I have found the Rust-oleum to be virtually dead on. In the photo below I painted the hooks and receiver hitch with two different cans - painted a couple years apart. As you can see it is dead on to the bucket color and the paint on the hooks is wearing like iron. There is nothing wrong with the JD paint but if you can get the Rust-oleum cheaper - go for it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I suppose there are variations in the paint batches but I have found the Rust-oleum to be virtually dead on. In the photo below I painted the hooks and receiver hitch with two different cans - painted a couple years apart. As you can see it is dead on to the bucket color and the paint on the hooks is wearing like iron. There is nothing wrong with the JD paint but if you can get the Rust-oleum cheaper - go for it.

As I implied, if you (or anyone) is happy with it, thats what matters.
Your pictures do show a difference to my eye. Maybe having worked in a body shop and boat repair shop years ago makes these small differences more noticeable. :dunno:
In any case, Ive been working on the smaller Deeres for nearly 30 years. In that time, the only paint Ive found to be a spot on match, hands down, is Deeres own. Thats pretty much the consensus on most tractor restoration forums as well, unless its a custom mixed paint.
Valspar Restoration series was the closest, but their yellow had quite a bit less solids in it, which required more paint to get the same coverage, which made it actually more expensive than Deeres. Majic brand years ago wasnt even close. There are a few others too. I will say, in my opinion, that Rustoleum is probably the closest, easy to get, green you can get in a spray can, but their yellow is much darker (well, maybe not "much" to some, but is to me). When the Valspar spray paint was easy to get at Tractor Supply and similar places, thats what Id recommend to those wanting to save money but be as close as possible to the original color. Now I just point people to Deere, where there is no question.
Personally, having tried it when it first came out, then several years later, and most recently on my weight bracket and a few suitcase weights, its certainly not a match to my eye. So much so that I repainted the weights a few days later with Deere paint.
Now, the yellow Deere used has changed slightly over the years to a brighter yellow the more recent you get.
I actually found that out from a few older cans I had, working on painting a part and had to get more. The new can was ever so slightly brighter. No big deal unless they are side by side, again, but if its bothersome to someone, its best they know ahead of time.

The Rustoleum is certainly cheaper, and is pretty tough with proper prep, and is close enough for most, which is why Im using it on the rotary mower. Most wont know its not Deere, even if they did, most wont care that its a shade off.

·
Registered
134 Posts
JD Paint is expensive but it covers so well and tacks up quickly for the next coat,
so I feel is is easily worth the :gizmo:

·
Registered
12,570 Posts

·
Registered
11,415 Posts
Same here, its the only green paint that I use, like many things in life, you get what you pay for.
I wonder if Gizmo uses John Deere flat black?:dunno:

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
I wonder if Gizmo uses John Deere flat black?:dunno:
You know who you're referring too :lol: you really think he'd spend $10 on a can of flat black. :laugh:

·
Registered
11,415 Posts
You know who you're referring too :lol: you really think he'd spend $10 on a can of flat black. :laugh:
Damn. Must not have both brain cells engaged this morning. I'll drink more coffee.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Stupid bucket trick

Every time I think about painting the bucket,,
an opportunity comes up to move broken concrete,,,
the thought of painting then passes!! :bigthumb:

If you don't want to paint a bucket, I found a stupid oiling trick by accident. Normally I use a brush and burnt motor oil on metal that I don't want to paint but want to have some rust protection. It's doesn't last but so long but is free.

I spilled some oil in my bucket when changing either the oil or hydraulic fluid- don't remember which. Before I could spread it, we got rain and the bucket got a few inches of water in it. So, I had water with oil floating on top of it. I lifted the bucket, tilted it back, dumped it and had a perfect oil coating as the oil stuck to the metal as I dumped it fairly slowly.

I normally don't recommend dumping oil but in this case a few ounces of oil was already in the bucket. I was surprised how well it spread out and coated the inside of the bucket.

Treefarmer

1 - 14 of 14 Posts