Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any tips on pulling out bent bumper that goes behind the plating front bumper cover for an lx model? Fixing up this LX 280 and trying to figure out a good way to bend it back enough to fit new bumper cover

Attachments

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I'd start with a sling & a tree....or something that won't move. Reverse in various increments till something moves.

Next choice..sling and a truck winch or comealong.....you would need to Tie LT to something most likely.

One you get the general shape back...If it unbolts you can pound it back closer to what its supposed to look like.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Removal

I'd take it off and work on it off the machine. With flat bar stock you can use a vise to straighten it out. It will be easier to clean up and paint off the machine as well.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
500 Posts
I'd take it off and work on it off the machine. With flat bar stock you can use a vise to straighten it out. It will be easier to clean up and paint off the machine as well.

Treefarmer
I agree, less collatoral damage too.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
A 48 inch pipe wrench will do wonders to re-shape that piece of metal,,

I have a 36" pipe wrench,, and a piece of pipe,,, equals 48 inches,,

24 inch wrench is probably too small, the jaws need to be deeper,,,

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Problem is it doesnt come off its welded on.. I debated hooking rear to a tree and pulling front with my 318
Just till its bent enough to fit new plastic bumper cover.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
I would not use a pull method, the risk of collateral damage is way to much for me. Been there, done that. I’d rather have ugly and functional then a nice looking lawn decoration.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I agree with the pipe wrench technique.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
492 Posts
Plan B...maybe! Can you grind the weld off, remove bumper, and straighten? If you've got room, weld 2 tabs on bumper, drill bumper & frame, and bolt bumper on. If it gets damaged in the future, just unbolt & fix! Bob

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,680 Posts
Does the front part of the steel need to be perfect for the plastic cover to be mounted?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts