Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced the drive shaft themself on a 2320? The front U-Joint on mine is disintegrating. I'd like to know how to remove the drive shaft once you get to it. Dealer wanted around $2000 to replace it so I guess I will do it myself.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,768 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,416 Posts
If it is anything like the 2305 , you have a pin inside another pin and a snap ring that needs to be removed just behind the engine.

Then I think that allows the driveshaft to slide forward and then loose from transmission.

Worst part was then trying to get the driveshaft down , had to remove the MMM brackets and hangers. This was replacing the bearing that holds the transmission cooling fan to driveshaft.

We lifted the tractor high enough off ground so we could move pretty easy . For some reason I think the dealer told me it would take them 6 hrs and it took my BIL and myself about 8 total. The hardest was getting to the snap ring and putting that snap ring back in place.
Finally I called the shop foreman at the dealership and he brought a longer handle snap ring tool ,.. took him maybe 20 secs .. I had been trying for 90 mins or more.

Wish you luck.:munch:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it is anything like the 2305 , you have a pin inside another pin and a snap ring that needs to be removed just behind the engine.

Then I think that allows the driveshaft to slide forward and then loose from transmission.

Worst part was then trying to get the driveshaft down , had to remove the MMM brackets and hangers. This was replacing the bearing that holds the transmission cooling fan to driveshaft.

We lifted the tractor high enough off ground so we could move pretty easy . For some reason I think the dealer told me it would take them 6 hrs and it took my BIL and myself about 8 total. The hardest was getting to the snap ring and putting that snap ring back in place.
Finally I called the shop foreman at the dealership and he brought a longer handle snap ring tool ,.. took him maybe 20 secs .. I had been trying for 90 mins or more.

Wish you luck.:munch:
Hey thanks for the info. Any amount of detail will help. A pin inside another pin sounds unusual. I guess I will find out what that is all about. The tech at the dealer mentioned I may need to 'tilt' the engine forward a bit to get the drive shaft to clear the splines. I will post my experience with this for the next guy who wants to do this on their own. And yes, I did not know the u-joints needed lubing until I started reading some of the threads in this forum. The operators manual leaves a bit to be desired. Some of the information it gives does not even match my tractor and it is supposed to be a manual strictly for a 2320.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Has anyone replaced the drive shaft themself on a 2320? The front U-Joint on mine is disintegrating. I'd like to know how to remove the drive shaft once you get to it. Dealer wanted around $2000 to replace it so I guess I will do it myself.
Update: When I originally spoke with the tech at the dealer he told he would talk to the his territory guy about John Deere covering the repair in part or in its entirety but he was quite certain the territory guy would not agree to that since the tractor is 7 years old even though I told him about the manual not indicating that the drive shaft needed to be greased. Thanks to this forum I was able to find the John Deere bulletin 88233 (dated 12/14/2010) and I called the tech back, told him about the bulletin, and he looked it up and found it. He said he had never seen the bulletin before or heard of this but the fact that it exists could help my case with the territory guy to get John Deere to pay for the repair. Will keep you posted.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,220 Posts
:wgtt: and good luck with the repair. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wow! $2k to replace it? Mine was $350 to repair with my dealer. But I caught mine before It completely broke (thanks to GTT). Started feeling a funny vibration and already knew what it was. All they had to replace was u-joints. My local cemetery had to fix broken input shaft on transmission ($3600) when theirs let go. Is yours still in tact?

·
Registered
2 Posts
JD 2320 drive shaft replacement

First time ever posting but wanted to share. The front u-joint went out at 429 hours. Didn't know it was hidden up there. Anyway, read the rest of the replies for details but the main thing I wanted to share was to get the drive back on, place the rear spline on first and you will have to loosen the motor mounts and move the engine forward to get the front spline on. Don't forget to place the snap ring on the stub shaft first. The motor mount brackets have a flange so you can use a vise grip to squeeze the flanges together enough to get the front spline on. Only takes about 3/8 of an inch but what an ordeal. The next hard thing will be trying to grease the thing. Shame on those JD engineers.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I had the same thing happen to the 2210 I used to own. Instead of the drive pin, I used a nut and bolt to secure the front of the driveshaft. I chucked that stupid snap ring too, worthless idea but someone in Japan thought it was a great idea. My nut and bolt worked great, it was not my idea as I read a thread on another forum where a guy did that with their 2305 driveshaft. Also, I took the rear U joints apart and then slide in the shaft onto each end and then re-installed the U joints. I have no idea if you can do this with the 2320. I know it's similar to a 2210 but a little bigger. The risk with taking the U joint apart is you can lose all the needle bearings if you are not careful, but it certainly speeded up the task and made it a lot easier to complete the it.

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
It's been almost 10 years since I helped a neighbor repair the driveshaft on his 2210. Back then he was complaining about a noise / vibration and it turned out that the u-joints were worn. After removing the double roll-pin and snap-ring I disassembled the rear u-joint from the yoke and dropped the driveshaft out. Reassembled in reverse order and good to go.

Like many others his driveshaft u-joints were never lubed. He's still using it for mowing and snow removal around the neighborhood. I've helped him with a couple of minor issues since we replaced the u-joints and we were able to get some lube in while we were at it. Last I knew he had ~ 1200 hours on his rig.

·
Registered
3 Posts
JD 2320 drive shaft replacement

First time ever posting but wanted to share. The front u-joint went out at 429 hours. Didn't know it was hidden up there. Anyway, read the rest of the replies for details but the main thing I wanted to share was to get the drive back on, place the rear spline on first and you will have to loosen the motor mounts and move the engine forward to get the front spline on. Don't forget to place the snap ring on the stub shaft first. The motor mount brackets have a flange so you can use a vise grip to squeeze the flanges together enough to get the front spline on. Only takes about 3/8 of an inch but what an ordeal. The next hard thing will be trying to grease the thing. Shame on those JD engineers.
I used 2 heavy duty Williams C-Clamps on the side of the motor mounts it pulled the engine far enough to remove the drive shaft

·
Registered
150 Posts
This is the only write up you need..

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
This is the only video you need...

Great job on the video. I have the u-joints, just waiting for the weather to warm a bit. I'll write a note to check the size of the hole for the grease fitting to fit in. I just looked at both of the Moog joints that I have. They appear to have a small washer between the grease fitting and the bearing cap. Looking at the inside the end of the fitting looks flush to the inside of the bearing cap.

This damn drive shaft has driven me nuts for the eight years that I have had the tractor. I will be happy to have it fixed once and for all.

Thanks again for video and the write up. I will post when I get this job finished.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts