Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A recent timer replacement thread on another forum i frequent inspired me to finally fix the Tork mechanical timer that was supposed to be used with our stream pump. I've been meaning to get to it for at least 5 years now! :banghead: Me being cheap, I hated to spend the $ for another mechanical timer and it wasn't too inconvenient to manually turn the pump on to circulate the water since I am outside often anyway. It just doesn't happen regularly so the water in the pondless reservoir can get a little stagnant.

I wanted a bit more functionality than the simple solid state relay chosen for the other application. I wanted a manual override switch on the unit so the pump could be turned on outside the programmed daily time slot. There are quite a few varieties of relays to choose from. The price was right and I didn't have to wait a month for it to ship from the far east so I picked this one:

DIN Rail Time Relay Switch AC 110V Digital LCD Power Programmable Timer - - Amazon.com

It got here yesterday, only took 3 days.
20190411_144941.jpg

The instructions are in chinglish so you need to be fluent or get a translator or go with trial and error. Last night I wired it up on the bench with a meter to get an understanding of how to program it and make sure it worked like I thought it would. I went with the trial and error programming method and got the hang of it after about 1/2 hour.

I found my box of scrap DIN rail this morning and got to work on it.

Out with the old...
20190412_095849.jpg

In with the new...
20190412_095411.jpg

Controls the pump for this....
20190412_095316.jpg

Unlike what usually happens, it even fit in the Tork box depth-wise so the door can close! :yahoo:

I think I have it programmed to come on at 2300 and go off at 2345 on M,W,F,Sa so the water in the pondless reservoir gets circulated periodically. I will check tonight to see if I got it right. The manual button can be turned on/off through the day if SWMBO wants the water feature effect while outside gardening. Or if I need the water hazard activated for a putting green event! :good2:

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After a week of running, it seems to work as advertised. I had messed up the programming a little bit but got that corrected. It helps to choose the same 'Day' schedule for both the ON and OFF times when programming it. :hide:

If the pump is turned on manually it will even return to its programmed on/off schedule the next time that program slot rolls around. Since it can have 16 different programs, I programmed an OFF at 10pm every day so just in case we forget to turn the thing off it won't run all night....(not that that ever happened :nunu: )

I think I am done buying the mechanical timer's for anything and will use these instead as replacements are needed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts