Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor stopped by yesterday to ask me if the chunk of metal he found in his driveway was from my tractor. Left skid from my 54" blade wore through and broke off in the past 4-5 days when I was plowing our common private drive as well as his driveway. The right skid is almost the same (I plow a lot with the blade angled to the right, so I guess it makes sense that the left wore out a little faster).

Now for my question. Before I go the JD dealer and buy replacement skids, are there any better alternatives out there?

·
Registered
223 Posts
My neighbor stopped by yesterday to ask me if the chunk of metal he found in his driveway was from my tractor. Left skid from my 54" blade wore through and broke off in the past 4-5 days when I was plowing our common private drive as well as his driveway. The right skid is almost the same (I plow a lot with the blade angled to the right, so I guess it makes sense that the left wore out a little faster).

Now for my question. Before I go the JD dealer and buy replacement skids, are there any better alternatives out there?
I normally change to Moose ATV/ UTV skids. They are available for around $45-$55 / set depending on where you get them. They are available in a kit you get all the hardware required and you can bolt them on the same bracket the JD plow has that is used for the JD skids. The Moose skids is round and will spin have better adjustment up and down as you use washers provided to adjust the ground clearance you want. I also check my skids each year before using the plow for the season and if they are worn much I weld up the skid surface with my MIG welder giving it more life

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,123 Posts
When you get the new skids tack weld a 1/2" block to the bottoms, when it wears out weld another one on.

·
Registered
12,249 Posts
I had the same experience. I replaced mine with original equipment skids. I figured that the originals lasted 19 years, I should expect the same out of the replacements, which takes me to 87 years. If I am still plowing at that point, I will take them to Gizmo to get them built up.:laugh:

On the serious side, I was happy to find the broken piece. It could do a job on a tire or run through the mower.

·
Registered
588 Posts
J.D. offers a heavy duty set (AM119321) not sure what the difference is, have not seen them in the flesh.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,123 Posts
I had the same experience. I replaced mine with original equipment skids. I figured that the originals lasted 19 years, I should expect the same out of the replacements, which takes me to 87 years. If I am still plowing at that point, I will take them to Gizmo to get them built up.:laugh:

On the serious side, I was happy to find the broken piece. It could do a job on a tire or run through the mower.
At that point I won't give a S*** if you ever plow again or not. Sorry!:lol:

Reactions: DRobinson

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Just weld on a 1/2" plate and it will a long time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts