Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I currently have r3 turfs. I don't mow with the tractor it's mostly for plowing snow and occasional bucket work around the yard. I had to get rear chains last year so I could plow better. I also find I spin when trying to dig into dirt piles etc.

How do the turfs compare to the radials in terms of traction and durability?

My turfs aren't filled but thinking I'll fill the radials. What kind of difference would I expect with filled tires?

Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Premium Member
10,928 Posts
My turfs aren't filled but thinking I'll fill the radials. What kind of difference would I expect with filled tires?
Do some checking. A lot of manufacturers do not recommend filling radial tires.

·
Premium Member
4,711 Posts
Judging by the difference in my my R3 bias to my R1’s I suspect the radicals would be an improvement of maybe 30% or a bit more judging from the tread design. The R1’s will take all the tractor has to offer especially with ballast. However had you tried lowering the pressure down in your rears to 15psi. That would make a huge difference especially in the snow.

·
Super Moderator
7,911 Posts
What are you running for ballast? Rear weight box or suitcase weights?

I'd make sure I was at the recommended ballast weight before loading the tires.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 60" box blade and no other weights.

The dealer I think will swap out for not much charge but don't believe they have any r1 available.

Joe I thought you had the radials and not bias?

I'm the meantime I run rear chains year round. Can R3 bias be filled or maybe there are some front chains that won't be too hard on the front end?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Help us out here.
Are you trying to compare R3 bias ply turf tires, to R3 radial ply turf tires? Or, are you trying to compare R3 bias ply turf tires, to R4 radial tires?

I'm just slightly confused because you are trying to compare a type of tire tread (R3 turfs) to a tire construction/build type (radial). Plus your mention of spinning tires, when trying to engage a pile of dirt, makes me think you want a more aggressive tread (R1 or R4 type tread pattern).

·
Administrator
17,263 Posts
I have a 60" box blade and no other weights.
You need more weight. You probably have less that half of what is recommended in the loaders operators manual.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Help us out here.
Are you trying to compare R3 bias ply turf tires, to R3 radial ply turf tires? Or, are you trying to compare R3 bias ply turf tires, to R4 radial tires?

I'm just slightly confused because you are trying to compare a type of tire tread (R3 turfs) to a tire construction/build type (radial). Plus your mention of spinning tires, when trying to engage a pile of dirt, makes me think you want a more aggressive tread (R1 or R4 type tread pattern).
I'm trying to compare the stock R3 tire options. Mine has R3 bias turfs. Wondering if it is worth the swap to R3 radials for my use and if I should fill them. Otherwise I'll consider getting more ballast or have the R3 turfs filled if that's and option.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Doesn't seem like a big enough jump in traction, to warrant the hassle of the switch. In my opinion.
Winter work is what it is. Broken down by months, it's 25% of your tractors, traction issues. Which you have figured out how to deal with already (chains).
I'd be looking at R4's based off of what you say your uses are.

Can't help you with fluid filled tires. I have no interest in them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts