Green Tractor Talk banner

Replacing radio antenna on 4066R

9K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  us244963 
#1 ·
Hooked a pine branch yesterday while snowblowing at -15 degrees. The rubber antenna did not flex at all (stiff as a board at that temp) but wound up breaking the pot metal connection clean off the base. Only way to fix is replace with entire new cable assembly. Does anyone know if it is easiest to do this by removing the outside roof cover, or the inside liner? I saw a picture posted on here of a cab with the outside roof cover removed and it looked to me like that is where the cable is laying. Is it a big job to pull the outside cover off these things? I almost think that might be easier than trying to remove the headliner.... Let me know if any of you have been here/done that...….Thanks! Jeff in Lindstrom..

#3 ·
I got tired of mine hitting trees and flopping down towards the rear and then I could not open the right door. So I finally just dropped it down behind the right auxiliary light on the front of the cab. I never use the radio anyway.

Dave

Reactions: mark02tj
#4 ·
Yes,

The best option is to pull the roof off. I think there are only about 12-15 bolts and it comes off, I'm told. I am getting ready to take mine off to install my Sirius antenna. While I have mine off, I am going to investigate insulating the roof to hopefully improve air-conditioning performance. :unknown:

Jeff

#6 ·
Yes,

The best option is to pull the roof off. I think there are only about 12-15 bolts and it comes off, I'm told.

13 if I recall correctly. Yes taking it off is the easiest way for sure :thumbup1gif:

This thread has some good info on a replacement:

Radio antenna

#5 ·
At least there are only in the $30 dollar range. When I started reading this I was like, un oh what’s the JD markup un these bad boys.

Good luck with the swap out.

#7 ·
Thanks to all for the good information. I’ll proceed by taking the top off as I do think the antenna wire is laying there anyway. I wouldn’t pay $1 for another antenna like this so definitely I will not be going after the original John Deere/Jensen replacement. The problem with this factory antenna is that the area where you can adjust (via a screw) it so that it lies flat is so tiny and weak that the minute that thing gets any pressure against it -it can’t help but break at that point. Just a piece of junk that belongs on a car and not on a Tractor. I’ll let you know but I’ll just buy something cheap at the nearest auto parts store with a good old fashion spring on it. When you have extreme temperatures like we have up here in Minnesota I’m not a fan of the rubber antennas as they just become as hard as a baseball bat at below zero temperatures. As I write this it’s snowing again and we warmed up to almost 0°- Whoopi!!

#8 ·
Completed the antenna replacement

Just wanted to update this thread in case anyone else runs in to this issue. In order to replace the entire antenna (including the cable) as I had to do since the way this thing broke made it impossible to use the existing mount any longer- You have to remove the cabs roof top as that is where they have threaded the antenna cable. It is NOT under the headliner. In my case I decided to upgrade those junky Jenson speakers while at this job- but in order to do that you DO have to remove the headliner. If all you were doing was replacing your speakers then you would not need to remove the rooftop. The screws holding in the speakers are only accessible under the headliner.

You will need an antenna with at least 6 feet of cable to route it the same way as factory did. I wound up using an old John Deere antenna that I had purchased for my 4030 a few years ago but never used it (sold the tractor). Remember those early 30 series with Sound Gard cabs didn't have an external antenna but was just a special long cable routed around the entire cab perimeter underneath the roof. That never worked well and John Deere realized it so they started putting external antennas on later 30's and 40/50 series all had external ones too. Anyway, this antenna is super heavy duty with a very flexible spring- so I know it won't break off like the stupid new rubber one did. Also just to be safe I tied it back so it runs parallel with the top of the door. Works really nice. Also the new Pioneer speakers I installed (TS-A4676R) are a huge improvement over the factor tin can Jensons that JD had installed. Now it practically blows you out of the cab if you turn it up. Absolutely no need for 4 speakers. Just wanted to update everyone as it might save you some time. Had I listened to my JD dealer I would have tore down the headliner for the antenna cable replacement.

I see on all the new 2018 4066R cab tractors that JD now has added a little steel tab protecting the base of the antenna to prevent what happened to mine. I guess they do listen to some complaints. Now if only they would come up with a rear wiper switch that automatically returns to neutral when you shut it off :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.