Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,378 Posts
Does anyone have the part number for that chain case? I asume it is a bolt on switch?
The current P/N for the chain case is AUC16953. You will need the four bolts that holds it in place as well as the key for the impeller shaft. I would also replace the roll pin in the drive shaft. JD Parts shows a breakdown of the parts.

You will also need a bottle of GL-5 lubricant for the case.

Note: you do NOT need part #24 if you have the newer style chain case.

Reactions: tj1

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Ordered my gear box this morning. Only $169 shipped to my door. That's more that worth it to not have to deal deal with that open chain set up.

I never had to deal with the open chain but after taking it apart it seemed like it would be less that fun to get it back together and aligned.

Reactions: tj1 and SulleyBear

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Back at it again this week but just more boring sanding and paint. There was some hammering of dents too but that was quick and noisy.

The chain case should be delivered tomorrow, I picked up new hardware and keystock for when it goes back together.

Today's work is more grey primer, but after pricing out JD yellow spray cans of rust-oleum paint, I opted for a harbor freight spray gun. Tractor supply had a gallon of JD yellow on sale for $30. Hopefully I will spray finish coat on Sunday.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Chain case is here and sure enough it fits right in. For anyone else looking to get one this version does not need the bushing that is listed as might be needed.

Looks like I have a pricy large washer now.

Filled the chain case with some really nice 75w-90 synthetic gl-5 oil. Now if only this thing would paint itself.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
India? JD - c'mon man.
It might be from India but it's a million times better that the open chain drive that was "made in USA".

I'll take it, and the price is very reasonable.

·
Registered
635 Posts
It might be from India but it's a million times better that the open chain drive that was "made in USA".

I'll take it, and the price is very reasonable.
I'm not arguing that the enclosed drive is better than what it replaces - it obviously is. I'm just shaking my head that all this stuff is made anywhere but here.

·
Premium Member
14,378 Posts
I'm not arguing that the enclosed drive is better than what it replaces - it obviously is. I'm just shaking my head that all this stuff is made anywhere but here.
This chain case would be $700 if it was made here.

Reactions: tj1

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks for showing your refurb process and drive upgrade.

So I assume the new chain case bolts right into the old slots/holes where the carrier holding driving sprocket was that you use to adjust chain tension with no drilling required?

I had to tear apart my 47 snowthrower a couple years back and I was less than impressed with the chain/sprocket drive for a $2500 widget. Even my old 318 with trusty #49 SS snowthrower I used for 20+ years used a #50 drive chain rather than the #40 chain they are now using. Just a cursory look at specs tells you a #50 chain is ~ 40% stronger. Now that I have 25% more horsepower from my X7 than my old 318 I have weaker drive system? Having the chain enclosed in oil bath is far superior to having it coated with a mixture of road salt/sand. I have to admit I used to be somewhat cavalier when blowing the big snowdrift the plow leaves at end of driveway but after having it apart, I don't ram into it quite as briskly as before. I know from talking to JD tech a couple years back when we had a tough snow year, they were doing so many replacemets, they temporarily ran out of chain at dealership. Anyway, is it possible to see into the chain case through the oil fill port and see what size chain is in there?

Thanks again for posting this upgrade, as long as mine holds together, I probably won't proactively make a change but if I have a failure, I'll look at this change as well.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
The chain case is just a drop in replacement. The pins on the output line up with the bolt holes for the impeller bearing. The mounting feet line up with the slots that were used to tension the old sprockets.

Did my best to get a shot of the chain thru the fill plug. Not much room to get a photo in there. It is definitely bigger than the #40 that came off. The sprocket teeth are noticably larger as well.

I've been putting off the inside of the blower for sanding and old paint removal. Lots of work inside the blower for what looks like many many years of use.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Remaining paint prep got put on hold by a steady drizzle.

Started working on my drift cutter / headlight post modification. The plan is to mount a pair of LED lights to the top of the posts for better working light out in front of the blower. I often find myself forced to clear my driveway in early morning or late night darkness, the added lights will be most welcome.

Reactions: SulleyBear

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks for the pics... I did some digging on other sections of GTT and I think the enclosed chain is #50.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
As much as I think the spray gun was the right choice for the job I really don't like getting covered in over spray. The yellow paint looks a whole lot better than rust and primer. It's not a show room finish by any stretch but I like it. The liquid yellow pain looks more true to color that the rattle can of paint.

Also finished fabrication of my drift cutter flood light mounts.

·
Premium Member
10,658 Posts
Thanks for sharing this with us. I was thinking of doing the very same thing to my 47" blower, but the problem is I also need to paint my plow before winter.....and time is getting short.

All of those summer days when I looked at the plow on the new steel saw horses I picked up at a Online Auction for $5 and I kept saying "I don't feel like it today, I will do it tomorrow...." well, tomorrow is just about here.

As Apollo Creed kept telling Rocky Balboa, "dare is no tomorrow, dare is no tomorrow".....it be today and snow soon be fallin whether we axe it to or not...........

(y)You are going an outstanding job. It will be a shame to use the blower and get it chipped and dirty.....

So, did you end up ordering the new decals? For the price, they really would set the job off right............

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Decals will be on order at some point. I still need to pick up the implement shaft and up stop, and the mid drive shaft with axle pass thru. I need a new set of skid shoes as well. There is plenty of work left to do yet. I've got to flip the housing to get the areas blocked by the saw horses, so the whole thing may get another spray of top coat. With the weather here staying colder and damper the paint is taking a long time to cure.

If we have a snow season like I did last year after rebuilding my walk behind blower the paint on this one will stay perfect and I'm scratched. I think I had a total of 3" of snow last year.

·
Registered
11,031 Posts
The blower is looking good.

I realize this decision is beyond the point of no return, but I was wondering why you went with the siphon gun instead of the cheaper gravity feed one? I’ve used both a prefer the gravity feed much better, it also has minimal overspray. I painted a trailer and a truck bed this year and had no noticeable overspray on me. Also, in the future if you need green I definitely recommend getting JD paint. More then one off brand will turn blue in a few years.

Hopefully you won’t need the blower this weekend.

Reactions: CJadamec

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
As for choice in spray gun I will just chock that up to lack of experience and being impulsive. The siphon gun was only $30 at harbor freight so at least it's a cheap lesson to learn. It was cheaper than the gallon of rust-oleum JD yellow that was on sale for $33 at tractor supply.

I hate the clean up of oil based paint and my brain said the all metal construction of the siphon gun would hold up better to the cleaning solvents.

I wasn't planning on making painting things a habit but, it may become a more common thing. I suppose its kinda like owning a welder now that I own it I will be more willing to take on the project. That's good to know about the green paint. My box blade is JD green. At some point it will need a paint job.

As for snow this weekend it looks like Friday night into Saturday are gonna be cold and messy. I still have my walk behind blower I can use if needed. Haven't had much luck selling it yet. Was hoping that selling it would pay for one of the driveshafts I need.

·
Premium Member
10,658 Posts
Hey, which DriveShaft and UpStop do you need?

I have a brand new one for the 47" blower which is intended to work with the 1 series. I have the brand new kit in the box for sale and would sure like to sell it. It's listed on the For Sale portion of this site.......I will also UPS it with full payment............

I also have the shaft and upstop on my 47" blower which fits the 455, etc. which I would have replaced with the new kit if used on my new tractor. I am selling stuff I am not using so if I have something which will work or you need, lets make a deal........

·
Premium Member
10,658 Posts
One other thing I was going to mention about your lights on the snow blower. I tried that approach with some lights to improve the immediate "down in front of the implement" lighting and I found that the vibration of the blower made the lights "wobble" enough that I found it distracting and annoying. I moved the lights back to the quick hitch and it was MUCH better. I just used brackets which were rubber mounted on the upper round bar of the Quick Hitch and the lights were as they should be.

I have the light brackets which fit to the round tube of the quick hitch in the garage. I will get a picture of the brackets and post them.....Actually, I think I know where to find the listing for the lights....

Here they are.....and very reasonable price and strong.....

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Hey, which DriveShaft and UpStop do you need?

I have a brand new one for the 47" blower which is intended to work with the 1 series. I have the brand new kit in the box for sale and would sure like to sell it. It's listed on the For Sale portion of this site.......I will also UPS it with full payment............

I also have the shaft and upstop on my 47" blower which fits the 455, etc. which I would have replaced with the new kit if used on my new tractor. I am selling stuff I am not using so if I have something which will work or you need, lets make a deal........

According to the interwebs for my x738 I need BM25772 for the up stop and implement shaft.

The shaft and upstop off of your 455 might fit the bill. I'd certainly be interested in making a deal.

I was hoping by bracing the lights to the back of the blower I might limit some of the wobble on the light mount. I was planning on picking up a pair of cheap 4" liked flood lights off of Amazon for $15. I fabbed the mounts out of scrap so no loss there other than some time. I suspect like you have found out they may end up moving back to the quick hitch.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts