Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from the dealer and looked at the z545R and z730M. Priced 6000 and 7100 respectively w/ a 54” deck. I was surprised at how large and beefy both were. The R model has more frills which isn’t a requirement, but I don’t think I want to go all the way up to the R model with the 700 series bc of price, so it looks like I’ll be choosing between a 545R and 730M, unless I’m missing another option. 1.5-2 acres of flat semi rough yard/pasture. Also found a used 2013 915B with a 48” deck and bagger for 6300. Opinions?

·
Registered
2020 4066R & 2021 Z530R
29 Posts
I had an out the door price of $5700 on the 545R, which included tax as Im not exempt on mowers.

I went with the 530R for $5,450.00 out the door. Its the Kawasaki versus the new efi Briggs. I didnt want to be a test dummy for Briggs, nor do I want push buttons on my mower. I wont mind replacing a $500-600 punch pad on my 4066R in a few years when its out of warranty, but not on my lawn mower... give me the old school choke. The difference between the 530R and the 545R are just the motors, which also leads to the choke vs efi w/ buttons.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Good to know. Thank you. I hadn’t really looked at the 530R, but I’m with you on the engine. Also much more reasonably priced. I haven’t really gotten many quotes on prices so I’ll keep shopping around to see how low they’ll go.
That’s a great price you got on that 530r...what state are you located in?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just did the very same comparison (along with a couple of models from Husqvarna because I have a really great Husky dealer that is a small business in our small town that I like to support whenever I can). Ultimately I have settled on the Z530R. I looked at the Z545r but like others I am wary of the EFI. My wife would have found the push button cool, but that was not worth the risk and additional cost in this instance. Also, the sales guy at my dealer suggested that Deere was going to phase out the EFI. I don't believe that as a fact is true, but I took it as a lack of enthusiasm on his and the dealership's part.

The 7 series have some money on the table from Deere right now but I felt like I was overbuying a commercial machine that I would not use enough of the capability of vs. some comfort and convenience aspects of the Z530R. My Deere dealer was very underwhelming on the quote for the Z530R when I got a quote for the machine plus MCS. So, I am waiting to see if Deere puts some promotions or incentives for the 5 Series come May 1st. (l live in northern NH so I still have time before the lawn needs to be attended to) Since I am buying cash, the 0% financing does not appeal to me.

All that said, if Deere does offer some tempting promotions on the Z545 I might take a second look. Otherwise I will take what I can get on the Z530R come May 1st.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good points. I too have settled on the 530R. My dealer said they’ve heard good things about the EFI so far but to me it’s not worth an added 4-500. I’ve got one dealer giving me a price before tax $5475 and one that is telling me $5800. We’ll see if I can talk them down at all, since the higher one is just a couple miles away.

·
Registered
2020 4066R & 2021 Z530R
29 Posts
I bought in MD, but have a dealer in DE too, which is tax free.. the MD dealer was cheaper out the door with tax than the DE dealer. It was kinda insulting though, as I bought the 4066R from the DE dealer last July. He gave me all MSRP #’s and wouldnt haggle. Im loyal, but more loyal to my wallet than a dealer relationship!

·
Registered
33 Posts
My dealer in NH (no sales tax) quoted me just under $7400 for the machine plus a MCS. That number included the machine, MCS parts, install of the MCS, setup and a crate charge. The machine is on the lot. They took a little more than $300 off for everything. So basically the quote was equal to setup and crate charge plus around $50. Same dealer where I bought my 2025r and about 6 implements in the last three years, plus annual and various services and assorted parts in the last three years. Underwhelming.

I could order from Lowe's, use my Lowe's card and get 5% off the machine, have the order setup and fulfilled by the same dealer, pay no setup or crate charge and have it delivered. That would be about $500 savings om just the machine before the MCS. Kind of tempting - like others has said "Im loyal, but more loyal to my wallet than a dealer relationship! "

·
Registered
2020 4066R & 2021 Z530R
29 Posts
My dealer in NH (no sales tax) quoted me just under $7400 for the machine plus a MCS. That number included the machine, MCS parts, install of the MCS, setup and a crate charge. The machine is on the lot. They took a little more than $300 off for everything. So basically the quote was equal to setup and crate charge plus around $50. Same dealer where I bought my 2025r and about 6 implements in the last three years, plus annual and various services and assorted parts in the last three years. Underwhelming.

I could order from Lowe's, use my Lowe's card and get 5% off the machine, have the order setup and fulfilled by the same dealer, pay no setup or crate charge and have it delivered. That would be about $500 savings om just the machine before the MCS. Kind of tempting - like others has said "Im loyal, but more loyal to my wallet than a dealer relationship! "
For the 5 series, or the 7? If the 5.... run!!!!!

·
Registered
514 Posts
I have to differ with all of you on your selection. Been there on the Residential versus Commercial models. I went with a JD Z710A with 54" 7 iron deck in 2015. Bigger/stronger, wider deck blades, bigger/stronger, mower deck spindles... Stronger and larger frames. Every thing is made stronger to handle those sever days of 12 hours daily mowing. Big Kohler V-twins. Bigger fuel tanks. My Z710A had 22 hours on meter when I bought it. Listed for $8899.00. I bought it for $5,200.00.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts