Green Tractor Talk banner

Should a 3-point ballast be lowered to the ground when the tractor is parked for an extended time?

• Yes

Votes: 48 98.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 2.0%
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1000# concrete rear ballast that I built for my 2016 JD 3039R. I have it on the tractor at least 90% of the time. When I shut down the tractor for a day or sometimes a week or two, I leave the 3 pt in the max--up position.

Is this hard on the hydraulics valves in the 3-pt system?

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
No just the seals. A week is a little much but overnight or a day or 2 it’s fine.

Edit: Now that I say that, if you got kids it’s probably wise to set it on the ground because the 3pt lever will still drop it even with the machine off.

·
Premium Member
9,941 Posts
I think long-term it would not be good for your tires.

Some thing I had not thought of but saw on here at some point. It’s kind of dangerous in case somebody is around it or on it and with somebody else behind it and they move that lever down.

I lower my attachments but move the lever back up after it shuts off just a little because otherwise it’s easy to takeoff dragging the attachment. Starting with it trying to pick that all the way up is hard on the starter.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
I always lower mine. Force of habit like putting loader bucket down or any other peice of equipment that I run. When I'm done with it, I put everything in the resting position.

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
I always lower mine. Force of habit like putting loader bucket down or any other peice of equipment that I run. When I'm done with it, I put everything in the resting position.
You better if you don’t want a fat fine from MSHA :p

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
I'll bite

who is Ms. Ha..... :p

·
Registered
3,081 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
They make OSHA look like a cake walk.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
You got that right.

·
Registered
1023e, pallet forks and a box blade for now...
47 Posts
I voted to store it down in the resting position. I have three little girls I don't want to squish. I also drop the table saw blade below the deck when I'm done with it. Its kind of funny how they have changed me in that regard. I never thought of myself as a safety kinda guy.

·
Registered
2013 John Deere 3520
308 Posts
Besides the very good safety points brought up, I would think it better to take the stress off and relieve the pressure when letting the tractor sit for more than a couple of hours.

I usually shut the tractor off then lower the bucket and the 3 point to relive the pressure.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Getting cut ,squished ,poked ,dropped....Ain't much fun as we get older.

Safety First people.......Not preachin , just sayin.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Everything on the ground when I’m not on the tractor for any length of time.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
One other issue is that if the 3 point has drifted down but it's still being commanded to lift. As soon you hit the starter, You hydraulic pump is going to spin up under a load which might be a dry start if the suction cant pull from the tank.

·
Premium Member
Early 2017 Vintage 1025R TLB (260/H120)
3,501 Posts
One other issue is that if the 3 point has drifted down but it's still being commanded to lift. As soon you hit the starter, You hydraulic pump is going to spin up under a load which might be a dry start if the suction cant pull from the tank.
I'd be less concerned with load on the pump and more on the low RPM, low oil pressure, high load on the engine during and immediately after starting.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I've never had a job where leaving an implement in the air when you leave a machine at all is accepted practice. I lower all implements when I park. Suspended weight is asking for trouble.

Plus, tires settle into their resting position. I've known fine grade operators who park graders with their tires in the air (I know this is counter to parking with suspended implements) because they didn't want square tires in the morning messing with their grade.

Either way, best practice is to put the weight on the ground, I think.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
I know I keep everything lower to the ground. Now at work there been many of times we would have to leave a digger truck for a day up to a week holding a power pole up cause a contractor is digging next to it. Other than that down on the ground.

·
Premium Member
Tator
16,953 Posts
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.