Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased this plow in good condition, but as with anything that is 60 years old, many people have had their hands in it. I posted some other pictures in my thread when I was looking for the plows. This is my try at posting a little bit of what I am doing to it to get it back in perfect operating condition.

When I brought it home the wheels were a little sloppy. Since there are no bearings, this seems to be the norm. I decided to take it all apart and look at what I had. I found one of the wheel hub bushings to have a chunk broke off. So, I had a buddy make me a custom set and then I ran across one with pure luck. (That one is for sale if anyone needs some help with one, part # X264a see the for sale section)

So, I currently removed one tire that was new to fix a rust in one rim and I cut off the tire on the other side to paint the inside of the rims to stop the rust.

Once I get my new hubs and rims painted, everything will go back together and I will start working on the coulters.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Today I got the other rim blasted and painted. I am a bit hesitant to media blast the hub ends, but I will most likely have to do something like that. My neighbors blaster is set up for pretty heavy duty stuff and the last thing I need is to blow a hole in the cast ends....

They have enough painted over grease on them I need to do something...LOL...

Attachments

·
Registered
733 Posts
Today I got the other rim blasted and painted. I am a bit hesitant to media blast the hub ends, but I will most likely have to do something like that. My neighbors blaster is set up for pretty heavy duty stuff and the last thing I need is to blow a hole in the cast ends....

They have enough painted over grease on them I need to do something...LOL...
Nice work Brian!

Hub Ends...How about some aircraft stripper? I've used it on various items (got turned onto it during my model building heyday) Should do exactly the trick here.
Actually used it on the shafts on my 246 broom when I rebuilt it.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Thanks for sharing the restoration project. I always learn something from someone elses projects.

:good2:Nice tip Dave. It's nice to have alternatives.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found some gasket remover in my tool box and gave it a try. It worked. I have some sanding and minor cleanup to do before paint...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I have left a little out. I have the new tires on the rims and the centers painted. I just got the new machines X264a bushings needed. These are a touch over sized to accomodate the worn parts. They are made out of a hard stainless!?! At least thats what I was told. I am sure they are much more hard than the cast ones that come with it.

This weekend I plan to get the tires and rims back on the plow and then to remove the rear tire and clean that up. Still looking for a matching set of coulters.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To follow along with my frustration and repair :lol:. Today I had 2 hours while the kids were off in swimming lessons, so I put the wheels back on. Unfortunately my cramped space to work on things got fairly frustrating. Long story short, I learned a crazy lesson. Don't measure stuff up when its below zero outside. I was evidently in a bit of a rush as I only measured one side of the axle shaft. So I had a little bit of work to do to make my new bushings fit. After a bit of filing and grinding, I got them in and they fit perfect! The wheels are now perfectly tight and spinning freely. There is no side to side movement at all.

So, I am going to take a break and work on it more when its warm outside. There is just too much stuff in the barn right now.

I need to paint the nuts and bolts yet and clean up the bit of extra grease.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Lookin' good Brian. :good2: The warmer weather isn't too far off now. You'll be turning dirt over in no time.

·
Administrator
21,048 Posts
Want me to pick a lathe out for you Brian?:lol:

Any progress on the mill search Randy?

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Any progress on the mill search Randy?
Well Ken, I seem to go in cycles on this one, not sure why. :unknown: And I am on the downward trend again. Maybe it's the money and I am starting to get serious about building a house. I have the shop and it would be great to have the house on the same property.

Back to the mill, right now I am thinking either Grizzly or Jet though. It's fun to dream though.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
We have to do something to make things easier with our projects!!... I need to make 2 pins around 1-1/4''..... All I have is 1-1/2'' round-bar.. So that means I'll have to use a grinder!:nunu:
Bill,

:flag_of_truce: Wouldn't it work out better to just buy 1.25 stock? Unless you mean a finish grinder? And that would be a lot of grinding.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts