Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ford F-350 Tremor sport.
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

my grandson and I are starting the 140 restoration. It has a few issues but most all of it is there. I have downloaded all the manuals for it so we can get started. A few questions?
Besides John Deere, where else to get parts? My beginning searches have found eBay, HAPCO, and one other. Any place else, perhaps a hidden gem?
We are planning for it to be stock except some bigger ag tires on the back and maybe some rib style on the front. If anyone could post some pics and the specs so we can decide for our build.
maybe a seat upgrade as well? Pics of that and perhaps what you use might help.

I look forward to any help you great guys can provide. I will try to post pics and keep a post updated with our progress!
Thanks again in advance!
jrob730

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hi guys,

my grandson and I are starting the 140 restoration. It has a few issues but most all of it is there. I have downloaded all the manuals for it so we can get started. A few questions?
Besides John Deere, where else to get parts? My beginning searches have found eBay, HAPCO, and one other. Any place else, perhaps a hidden gem?
We are planning for it to be stock except some bigger ag tires on the back and maybe some rib style on the front. If anyone could post some pics and the specs so we can decide for our build.
maybe a seat upgrade as well? Pics of that and perhaps what you use might help.

I look forward to any help you great guys can provide. I will try to post pics and keep a post updated with our progress!
Thanks again in advance!
jrob730
Go to Weekend Freedom Machines, it's a sister site that strictly deals with antique and classic JD lawn and garden tractors, the guy's there can answer all your questions.

·
Registered
15,436 Posts
That is a very nice looking tractor. Good work.

Reactions: Trebor

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Trebor, very nice work! Would you have more pictures of your tractor for reference on our tractor? I was studying it yesterday trying to figures out what gets painted what colors as well as what has been repaired incorrectly.
lots of stuff to fix that others did not know how to do correctly. The Governor to throttle cable to carburetor is wrong. Wiring is completely shot and wrong. These are just a few issues. I will take pics and post soon. It was a non running unit and we were able to get it to run., needs fine tuning to get there. Good power, no smoke. Strong hydro. Good starting point.
It will be a tear down fix / replace and paint back to stock with bigger tires type restore. Not tearing int the engine/ hydro unless it’s we have to.
Jrob730

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Trebor, thank you very much. This helps a lot. Would you have a few more all done pics, maybe like each side, front, back and engine. I’m wondering on the starter colors and other fine details that I’m sure I will see in your restoration.
Thank you again, I have the manuals but they do not help with what is painted which colors.
Jrob730

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
JRob, What year is it? That controls the color scheme.

My son started on his when he was 12. Rebuilt the motor when he was 13.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Tractor Green Vehicle

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mdrew, that is a beautiful tractor and if you dont mind me saying, it’s exactly what we are planning to do. Our tractor is a 1974 John Deere 140 h3. Would you please share your wheel and tire specs as well as the seat.
Yours and Trebor’s are exactly what We are shooting for. Could you please post some more pictures from all sides and the engine please if you have them?
Thank you both for your time and inspiration.
jrob730

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Guys also, when nut and bolting up pieces. I noticed on Trebor’s tractor the bolts are not painted. Mdrew’s some are. I
We are a long way away from reassembling but I’m just trying to get a head start on where this project is going. I’m an over thinker and I like the details as well.
Sorry about all the questions! Thanks again for all your help!
Jrob730

·
Registered
55JD50 57JD420C 57JD420U 55JD40W 66JD110 73JD140H3 2006JDGX335 44JDBO 45JDBR 85JD750
504 Posts
Jrob730,
My 140-H3 is 300 miles away up at our North property. I plan on heading up there next week. If you have specific questions I'll be happy to shoot some additional pictures.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Trebor,

Very nice picture of your 140. I’m able to blow them up and see many of my questions answered with your photos. If I have more questions I will let you know.
Thank you again for your help!
Jrob730

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
The seat I got from a local Deere Dealer. They dealt in primarily garden tractors before Mother Deere shut them down.
The front tires are 18x8.5x8, 5 ply Vredestein's. Because the '69 has 3/4 inch spindles we had to cut 2 pair of rims to extend the rim to the outside so the tires didn't rub on the frame. The '74 has 1 inch spindles, so you should be able to find some stock rims wide enough. The rears are 26x12x12 Carlisle Tru Powers on wider rims off a 420 or 430. We played around with tires a lot.

If you put 26s on the back and 16s on the front you tend to slide forward in the seat. There is only 3/4 of an inch of clearance between the rear wheel and the fender pan, keep your fingers out of there when getting on and off.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The seat I got from a local Deere Dealer. They dealt in primarily garden tractors before Mother Deere shut them down.
The front tires are 18x8.5x8, 5 ply Vredestein's. Because the '69 has 3/4 inch spindles we had to cut 2 pair of rims to extend the rim to the outside so the tires didn't rub on the frame. The '74 has 1 inch spindles, so you should be able to find some stock rims wide enough. The rears are 26x12x12 Carlisle Tru Powers on wider rims off a 420 or 430. We played around with tires a lot.

If you put 26s on the back and 16s on the front you tend to slide forward in the seat. There is only 3/4 of an inch of clearance between the rear wheel and the fender pan, keep your fingers out of there when getting on and off.
That’s great info there. Your specs and sizes are what I’m thinking of doing.
Thank you again for the help!
jrob730

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Jo
Tire Wheel Vehicle Tractor Automotive tire
Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Nut Machine
H
Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Electricity Gas Electrical supply

Tire Wheel Vehicle Tractor Automotive tire

Here are some pics of what we are starting with. The wiring is a mess and half burned up. That will be a total redo. Steering needs work, breakers need help. Could someone post a picture of the Governor, carburetor, throttle linkage. I’m sure what’s there is incorrect.
Knobs and steering wheel are in good shape, maybe some polishing or paint( I would like to hear what you would do) . Any thoughts on the pictures are also welcome!
Thanks again to all that are helping.
jrob730

Attachments

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
That’s great info there. Your specs and sizes are what I’m thinking of doing.
Thank you again for the help!
jrob730
I want to say we made the front rims 9.5 inches wide to get the V61s to lay flat. I can't find any pics..and I have pics of dang near everything we did.

I'm sure someone will know which rims you need for the 1 inch spindles, I just don't recall and more. I'm thinking 400, 420, 430 had the wider rims. I don't recall the year split to when they went to metric.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts