Green Tractor Talk banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
That's not a '74 seat pan on the tractor in the pics, it's earlier. What's the serial #? Where has my memory gone, it has the points notch in the frame. I'm thinking the serial number is less than 30K.

The seat pan match's the earlier tractors with the adjustment of the seat moving the whole thing by pulling the thick wire like this pic.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

The newer ones wouldn't have the hole under the seat.

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
In that hole there is a T handled valve to put it in freewheel. Is the valve there? Here a coup;e pics to help. The valve and the hole are circled. The X is where the freewheel valve is on the >30K serial numbers. Also in the first pic if your cover for the tranny dipstick is broken (arrow) order the cover for a 110, then you can just get the cover. If you order for the 140 it's about 5 times as much and comes with the dipstick.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Automotive tire Tire

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
OK, I'll stop going all Rainman on you now.
Glasses Vertebrate Blue Product Toy

Reactions: Trebor

·
Registered
2020 Ford F-350 Tremor sport.
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Here is my tag number. I’m very new to the garden tractors. I won’t pretend to know much but I can sure as heck tell if something doesn’t look right. Given the overall condition and sloppy paint, it’s been fooled with. I’m going to look at the details you have brought up to me. It would not surprise me if it’s some kind of a Frankenstein 140. My stepson looked it over and bought it. I’m not saying I would have been any better for sure.
I’m glad to have guys like you to help me along the way. Believe me this is the beginning. There will be many more questions. We are taking notes , pictures and figuring out what we need to get for it. I’m currently compiling a list that I know of now.
We start after the New Year and it needs to be finished by June 1st. I got a ace or two up my sleeve. A very good friend of mine has a 100x75’ shop. He has a spray booth, welding and fab area, machine shop, paint mixing room, and frame straightening machine. We plan to do most of the work our selves, but the specialty work will be with him.
Thank you again for your help. I’m going to re-read your post and see if I can make heads and tails of it? If there are better pics you would need to help with my mess, just let me know?
jrob730
Motor vehicle Font Gas Auto part Paint

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I re- read your post. It does have a knob or wheel if you call it to make it free wheel. I read it somewhere else on these tractors. I went out and tightens it down, it seams to want to free wheel but the tractor has 2 1/2 flat tires. I’m sure this is hindering it’s moving more easily.
It definitely has the thick wire to slide the seat like you described. We have not started to disassemble it so I’m not sure of what it looks like under the fenders.
My knowledge is more with my larger tractors. I currently have a 5 series, 4 series and a 72 3020 power shift.the 140 is of the same vintage as my antique, hence why we picked this model. We were offered a 316 but felt it was not what we were interested in as far as looks go.
I would also like a picture of you dash if possible. Things are not right there either on out project one.
Thank you again for all you are and have done!
Jrob730

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
Your 140 by vin is a 1973. Is there a T handled valve in the hole under the seat? I ask, cause something ain't right. I'm guessing right now, guessing, it has a different pedestal and it's actually an older tractor. 1971 was the change in hydro to the later version. While I wouldn't rule it out, I would think the fender pan is correct to the tractor.

Here's another pic of the T handle that might be in the hole under the seat. It's on the left edge of the pic.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Disk brakes or drums? I'm looking for a dash pic. I have thousands of tractor pics spanning about 15 years of restoring, shows, plowdays, etc. Some are well organized, many, not so much.

Reactions: DRobinson

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I will go out in the morning and see what is going on with this tractor.
I really appreciate all the help. There’s no way I could have figured this out on my own.
I will take pics and report back in the am.
Thank you for you time and wisdom.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
The hole is there but no t handle valve. I took a few pics and forgot to look at the brakes. I also took a pic of the motor tag to confirm the 14 hp version. Is it possible the fenders and seat are the old style ? Maybe the rest is a 73?
Wood Paint Climbing hold Tints and shades Recreation
Motor vehicle Light Automotive tire Fender Gas
Tire Green Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
jrob730, Time to start removing parts! Mike is showing early hydro pics, a '73 should have the later hydro... different setup, no T handle, but a knob in front of seat pan for free wheeling. BUT! Hydro and/or seat pan, as well other parts, may have been switched by previous owner. You haven't mentioned if you've done a restoration before so, a hint: Remove fasteners, place in zip-lock bag, and write where they go on zip-lock... like "seat", or "pan/frame". This project could take a lot more time than you think, so take LOTS of pics! (A year from now, you may not remember how things went together!)

Start with seat, then pan, and then a pic of hydro! This will tell us if you have a "Frankenstein 140" or completely original... or something in between! The 140 has been around for 50ish years and MANY have been restored by the folks in here. I think you'll find many others chiming in to help! Bob

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Thanks rwmeyer, I’ve worked on 2 cylinders before and done some light restoration but never a complete one on larger tractors. The baggie trick, I have been using for years. In the few things taken apart so far are already labeled. A friend of mine also told me to get a pail, toss the bags in as you go, most likely you will need the bagged parts in the order they come back out of.Like I said earlier, I’m new to the lawn and garden stuff.
It has drum brakes in it and the knob in front of the seat. When I felt down through the hole under the seat, there was nothing but a flat surface. This leads me to believe most of it is a 73?
John
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
You have drum brakes and the freewheel knob in front of the seat, >30K serial #. Looking at JDparts.com, that fender pan was used until serial # 46500. The engine disconnect pedal was used until 46883.

SO that makes it a 1971 or 72. I sent a text to my son. He will likely be able to get you closer on the year.

Your pedestal has been replaced. That's not a serial #50xxx tractor. It has to be under 46499.

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
Beyond figuring out the year, what are you planning for the resto? Repainting the motor tin also? How old is your grandson? I know you said you have a buddy with a good shop. Have you given any thought to painting it yourselves? My boys learned to paint using the cheap Harbor Freight paint gun. That's what we painted the 140 with. Pretty short learning curve.

My passion for all of this comes from the times we had doing the mechanical things together and the debates of how to do it and the stories from all the things we've done. Now one's a mechanical engineer and the other is an old engine wizard. Both can fab up just about anything.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
John, Hmm, MY personal thoughts on your "whole project": Do a frame up restoration!

I did my 317 a few years back when the engine started running poorly. I did a repower but also pulled the tractor COMPLETELY apart down to the frame. If it wasn't welded on, it came off! Clean & inspect parts and if usable, clean again, prime and paint! You said you've done minor restorations, well, a full restoration is just a whole bunch of minor ones! It'll be a GREAT learning experience for your grandson too. Bob

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Beyond figuring out the year, what are you planning for the resto? Repainting the motor tin also? How old is your grandson? I know you said you have a buddy with a good shop. Have you given any thought to painting it yourselves? My boys learned to paint using the cheap Harbor Freight paint gun. That's what we painted the 140 with. Pretty short learning curve.

My passion for all of this comes from the times we had doing the mechanical things together and the debates of how to do it and the stories from all the things we've done. Now one's a mechanical engineer and the other is an old engine wizard. Both can fab up just about anything.
So the story goes, my grandson wanted to do his senior project with both of his grandfathers(I technically am his step grandfather). His real one is my wife’s ex- husband, we get along great it’s just trying to do things at different place would be hard. He wanted to go in a different direction than us, he had a 316 that needed a engine rebuild. I’m not entirely a fan of the body style hence the 140. I suggested we do one each with our 17 year old grandson. The ex- husband needed neck surgery, so he thought my grandson should just do one and do it with me. My buddy with the shop has two garden tractors restored ( not John Deere’s, although i did talk him into a 5095m like my 5105m) he said I should have one restored and put in my new shop I’m building this year(2022).
I had a 32’x50’ at the old house( toy box) planning a 36’x48’ plus over hang for this place.
I have painted my own buckets and rims on most of my heard so far. They have come out very good except one rear on the 5105m, it was cooler than expected and got more than I wanted orange peel. Still acceptable by any means but I always strive for perfection.
I planning on restoring it as accurately as possible. Making it look really nice and putting fat tires on it. It will be used for lawn engagement type stuff as well as collect dust looking good while doing it. I’m sure my 4 year old granddaughter would like riding it sometime in the future.
So now my problem, I’m ready to throw in the towel on this one and pick up another that’s on CL. It’s all there and use some parts from this one to make it whole. I would then sell this one or part it out. It run outstanding( still needs help) the other one is a 74, good seat, runs , has a battery, good tin, steering wheel medallion. It has most of the parts I need to still get. The one I have I took the left brake hub off and everything is gone. I’m afraid this one is a lost cause.
I’m sure some of you would like to see it through but with work and a tight deadline I’m thinking I have got to look at the bigger picture!
Please share your thoughts because I’m going to pull the trigger on what to do after the New Year so we can get this started. The fellow with the 140 has three for sale in Vermont on Craigslist 1-h3, 2-h1. This is to help anyone with what they might do in my position.
thanks again to all that are helping!
john

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
John, Hmm, MY personal thoughts on your "whole project": Do a frame up restoration!

I did my 317 a few years back when the engine started running poorly. I did a repower but also pulled the tractor COMPLETELY apart down to the frame. If it wasn't welded on, it came off! Clean & inspect parts and if usable, clean again, prime and paint! You said you've done minor restorations, well, a full restoration is just a whole bunch of minor ones! It'll be a GREAT learning experience for your grandson too. Bob
Bob, this is exactly what my plans are and I am looking forward to the memories with him as well. We are both peas in a pod I’m his step grandfather, yet he prefers to spend time with me and even wants to dress like me( carharts and a John Deere hat- my signature, I always where one. Different ones though). I’m totally looking forward to this.
my grandson is also quite the singer as in he sang the national anthem in 2018 at the Red Sox play off game. He’s that good. I know he’s destined for great things so while he’s around I want to do this and have the memories with him. I’m honored that he asked me to do it even thought I’m not his biological grandfather.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
The actual blood relationships makes no difference! He & you have a good personal relationship and, to me, THAT is what matters.

As far as a decision on the tractor, part of it is made: you want a 140. You need parts for the one you have, so you NEED another tractor... for parts if nothing else! Not a doubt in my mind to get the H3 from Vermont... as long as it's a Serial Number higher than 30,000! Between the 2, choose what parts require the least work and "make" one complete, restored tractor. (Oh, I'd have had a pocket ful of money and trailer already hooked up!) Bob

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
The actual blood relationships makes no difference! He & you have a good personal relationship and, to me, THAT is what matters.

As far as a decision on the tractor, part of it is made: you want a 140. You need parts for the one you have, so you NEED another tractor... for parts if nothing else! Not a doubt in my mind to get the H3 from Vermont... as long as it's a Serial Number higher than 30,000! Between the 2, choose what parts require the least work and "make" one complete, restored tractor. (Oh, I'd have had a pocket ful of money and trailer already hooked up!) Bob
Bob, Thanks and that’s what I’m thinking!

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
I agree with what Bob said. I bought a second one for the engine and the kid built his first Killer Kohler with it. We have the original motor in storage. Having 2 will help make the process much faster.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts