Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I ask this? Lets try top ten answers on the board.
1: What were the colors when this was originally made?
2: When was it made?
3: What is it?

I only know the answer to #3. Would just like to paint it back as original. Thought it could be a little fun. KIMG1407.jpeg

·
Registered
421 Posts
How do I ask this? Lets try top ten answers on the board.
1: What were the colors when this was originally made?
2: When was it made?
3: What is it?

I only know the answer to #3. Would just like to paint it back as original. Thought it could be a little fun. View attachment 686130
1) Green with yellow lettering? If not, that's what it SHOULD have been...
2) A long time ago
3) Some sort of wall plaque thingy (based on screws)?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,952 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,952 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My guess it was originally mounted to a piece of JD farm machinery....
I had hoped for more information. Wonder if there are Chinese knock offs? It is cast iron and was a gift from a special friend 20 years ago.
While I agree with the yellow and green there is nothing tractor related in wall hanger. The outer circle is a belt with a buckle. Those colors would not quite fit to me. Could this have been made before JD got in the tractor business?
It is a letter box you put on the front porch. KIMG1408.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
4,844 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,844 Posts
Could this have been made before JD got in the tractor business?
I don't think so. Look at the deer on it. It's a whitetail.

The original Deere logo used an African deer that had much different antlers. They had long main beams going backwards from the head. Deere used that up until just after WWII. Post WWII they started using a whitetail deer for the logo. The antlers where changed to upright (or forward) and the individual tines are closer to the same size as the main beams.

Also, prior to the 1950s, the deer's tail always pointed downward or straight back. Post 1950s, the deer's tail always points upward.

Your item has one odd quirk to it though. The deer is jumping over a log as was the case in all of the old logos. But the log went away in the Deere logos in the mid-1950s.

Deere logo in 1936:

Screen-Shot-2018-08-08-at-3.12.25-PM.png

Deere logo as of the Mid-1950s:

Screen-Shot-2018-08-08-at-3.13.03-PM.png

Note the difference in the deer's antlers and tail and the log being gone.

It is known that Deere reproduced these in the 1980s and again in 1998. But the question that no one has ever answered is when they were originally made. A lot of people assume the 1847 date on them is the date they were made but if that is true, why don't they have the "old logo" antlers and tail that Deere used back then?

So I'll give you *MY* personal theory on it. :laugh:

I think they were made in the late 1940s. The 1847 date is the year Deere moved to Moline IL. 1947 would have been the 100-year anniversary of that move. So they may have originally been made as a commemorative for the 100-year anniversary of the move. That would also explain it having parts of both the old and new logos since that was changing in the same time frame.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I think they were made in the late 1940s. The 1847 date is the year Deere moved to Moline IL. 1947 would have been the 100-year anniversary of that move. So they may have originally been made as a commemorative for the 100-year anniversary of the move. That would also explain it having parts of both the old and new logos since that was changing in the same time frame.
Good theory. Makes sense

·
Registered
536 Posts
If it were mine I would clean the plaque, attempt to paint the only letters etc like in the previous post.

At that time they would likely have oiled the cast iron so that it would not rust.

I would clear-cote everything, semi-mat finish

Its yours! Enjoy it!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't think so. Look at the deer on it. It's a whitetail.

The original Deere logo used an African deer that had much different antlers. They had long main beams going backwards from the head. Deere used that up until just after WWII. Post WWII they started using a whitetail deer for the logo. The antlers where changed to upright (or forward) and the individual tines are closer to the same size as the main beams.

Also, prior to the 1950s, the deer's tail always pointed downward or straight back. Post 1950s, the deer's tail always points upward.

Your item has one odd quirk to it though. The deer is jumping over a log as was the case in all of the old logos. But the log went away in the Deere logos in the mid-1950s.

Deere logo in 1936:

View attachment 686308

Deere logo as of the Mid-1950s:

View attachment 686310

Note the difference in the deer's antlers and tail and the log being gone.

It is known that Deere reproduced these in the 1980s and again in 1998. But the question that no one has ever answered is when they were originally made. A lot of people assume the 1847 date on them is the date they were made but if that is true, why don't they have the "old logo" antlers and tail that Deere used back then?

So I'll give you *MY* personal theory on it. :laugh:

Thanks for taking the time to explain all that.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Have you done anything with it yet? Personally, it would be a difficult decision for me. I'd be curious as to what they looked like originally.

I saw the pics of both the plain and painted. Were they originally painted or not, interesting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts