Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of restoring a JD walking plow, can anyone help with the length of the wood handles. I have new handles but it looks like the right side handle is a different length than the left side. I do not have the old handles as a reference. Also need to know the size and length of the cross brace between the handles and correct location, Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,757 Posts
Hope you get some answers! I've had one for five years & haven't gotten to it yet! :hide:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Red, I will attempt to post a picture of one that I have. I received it with possibly the original handles and stretchers, rotten, but intact. I just copied what was on it. If this is anything like the one you have, I could sketch what is on this one and give dimensions. Can't guarantee accuracy. LOL
Also, look closely, the are several models of these things. I have a picture of one similar, but only one stretcher and turns furrow to the right. Haven't found that photo yet.

Pic004.JPG

Pic005.JPG

I don't know if the number on the beam is the model number. I'm not at all educated on them, just like 'em a lot! Heck, I don't even know the proper names of all the parts to one. Which part is the cross brace?

tommyhawk

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tommyhawk
great looking plow, that would be great if you could sketch out the handles and the two wooden cross dowels , I call then the cross braces. Not sure if that's really what they are called. The handles look very similar to what I think mine should be , least wise it will be close enough. Mine is a right hand , but I should be able to just flip the dimensions. I only have a bout 2' of each handle, rest is rotted and gone. I was supprised when I tried removing the bolts I thought they may not loosen , but nuts came right off. I'd appreciate any help. I have new handles but they need to be cut to length and I. Have no wooden cross dowels. I found where I can buy them but they come in different lengths also.
Not sure either about the number on the beam, I'm told it's not the model number.

·
Premium Member
5,757 Posts
Thanks for the pics! :good2:

Mine is a #418 & is a right hand throw, but the handle setup probably wasn't very different, just reversed.

·
Registered
364 Posts
We are getting another snowstorm here in Southern Ohio at the moment, but I should be able to do some measurements in the next day or so. There's a 3' pile of snow off the roof right in front of the green one now.
I did this IHC plow to keep the green one company. Moldboard was worn thru on the red one, almost so on the green one. No telling how many times they were replaced in the past.

Pic012.JPG

tommyhawk

·
Premium Member
13,934 Posts
We are getting another snowstorm here in Southern Ohio at the moment, but I should be able to do some measurements in the next day or so. There's a 3' pile of snow off the roof right in front of the green one now.
I did this IHC plow to keep the green one company. Moldboard was worn thru on the red one, almost so on the green one. No telling how many times they were replaced in the past.

View attachment 41428

tommyhawk
Nice looking ..

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

View attachment 41428

tommyhawk
Very nice, both of them. Is there a manufacturer name stamped on the red plow? I tried to buy an IHC at auction last summer but the Amish wouldn't stop bidding. I'll try to get a pic of the JD I'm going to work on.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tommyhawk
They both look great, when ever you get a chance to sketch the JD will be great , just send me a PM if you like , sure appreciate your help, that's what the forum is for I guess, your the only one so far that may have the information I'm looking for. Thanks

·
Registered
364 Posts
Well, I made a cartoon for the handles. A couple of things came to mind worth mentioning. I bought the handles at an antique machinery show. They were more than long enough to make some to match the old ones used as patterns. The stock size might vary from one maker to another. These were 1" x 2" red oak I think.
The carriage bolts in this one were 3/8-16. That might be different on some plows. Check before you drill!
The metal rod at the top is a 24" long carriage bolt, believe it or not.
The holes for the wooden stretchers and the metal rod must be drilled on an angle. The dimensions on the sketch is to the outside of the handle. All the other bolt holes are straight, or perpendicular to the surface.
I used 1 1/8 square stock to make the stretchers. Rounded and tapered them with a spoke shave to fit tightly in holes cut with a 3/4" spade bit. Be easier if you have a wood lathe.
I had to make a router cut for the metal bracket lips to seat. Hope you can see that in the photo.
Lastly, I suspect farmers would alter the lengths, etc. to make the plow fit him. It's a long walk following one of these things. Need to make it as comfortable as possible.

JD plow handles 002.jpg

Hope this helps.
P.S. click on the sketch to make it bigger. GTT sure is nice!

tom

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tom
The sketch and pics. are going to be extremely helpful. They should make the whole process making the handles fit easier. I like the idea of shaving the stretchers, I m going to give it a try.
One question, it looks like on mine, what's left of the left handle, about 8" up from the bottom end , it looks as though there should be a bend in the handle, outwards, was yours that way? If so did you have to steam the oak handle to bend it? Or did you have a different way to bend it? Looks to me like the bend kicked the bottom end of the handle about 1 1/2"-1 3/4". I assume the bend made it so the handles spread apart making it so you could put the spreaders in place. This may be your right handle since you have a left handed molboard and mine is right
I appreciate all of your help, it's great.

·
Registered
364 Posts
No, the wood on mine has no bend where it mounts, only at the grabbin' end. The metal mounting from the beam and the one on the moldboard both have angle and offset though.
I am still trying to find the photo with the R.H. throw. I took that pic at a show somewhere. It just might be more like the one you have.

tommyhawk

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pics of my JD walking plow now, may be awhile before I get to redoing it. With the nice weather I have other things to do.

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,280 Posts
Thanks fellas!

It's really cool to see people keeping and restoring our history. Not only as farmers, but as a nation, and for JD.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Thanks for the photos. Now I think I can see your concern about maybe another bend in the left handle. Perhaps the metal mount is just pushed way down. Looks like only one bolt holding it to the beam, so maybe it can be positioned more upward to match the other side??

Do you know if the small wheel mounts somewhere on the plow? Seems like I have seen what I thought was a depth wheel on a plow some time, some where. You will learn more as you get a chance to work on it, but now's the time to do research. Since you don't need it for spring plowing, no hurry! LOL

Here's a shot of a Syracuse Plow Works model my son was given in 2004. It has "D" handles, like a shovel.

Pic104.JPG

tom

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes the small wheel is a depth wheel, the clamp is still on the main frame, I wanted to see if the nuts would loosen on the bolts so I loosened the clamp and removed the depth gauge wheel myself. It is missing the colter, but I think I can come up with one. When I bought this at an auction I had a Amish man offer me more for the small wheel and bracket than what I paid for the whole plow. Told him it wasn't for sale as I wanted to keep it all together.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Good story on the depth wheel. LOL Hope you can find a way to repair it.

I don't mean to hi-jack your thread with other subjects, but while we wait on the weather, I have another photo of a different type. It had a sign that said it was a Syracuse Plow. I never saw the owner to ask about it. It has a feature that I thought let the operator change the angle of pull slightly while working. Maybe for changing soil conditions or hill side angle??
Maybe you or Lowell know something about this, or we'll hear from someone else.

Syracuse plow 1.JPG

Syracuse plow 3.JPG

tommyhawk

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tom
You have some very interesting pics. of plows. I have not seen one like this last pic you posted. Very cool,

Ya I can form a piece and weld in to repair the small depth guide wheel. Grind and smooth out the weld. It should not be very noticeable if at all.
I measured out the left handle for my JD plow and have it mounted, working on the right hand handle, I want to get the handles to fit before completing the rest, but it's now dry enough I need to start cutting firewood, that's all I use to heat the house, actually that's all we used since I was born, and long before that, we use to use coal with the wood years ago, then I have all the other spring work. Sure is nice to have warm weather now

1 - 20 of 39 Posts