Green Tractor Talk banner

Restoring MT governor housing...

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Evergreen 
#1 ·
On every M/MT governor housing I have seen recently; the mounting flange for the two spring loaded throttle arms has been badly worn on half its radius by the heavy pressure of the arms connecting spring.. Making it bind and causing engine RPM and throttle position problems. The only locally available fix for cast housings is a brsss braise putting the flange back to round for tighter fit of outer arm. Since brass is rather soft; you are only kicking the problem a little further down the garden path... Does anyone have a solution or repair source whereby one can get a harder weld on that flange OR any other long term fix. The inner arm center shaft hole to outside flange wall is to thin to turn it down to round and pressing on a bushing... Help... I'm about out of airspeed and ideas here!!! KLINK

#2 ·
#3 ·
I would be hesitant to do anything that would increase the hardness of the pivot flange because that would cause the throttle rod to wear out instead. Brazing the flange with bronze or Babbitt metal every 15 to 25 years just seems a lot more cost effective. I don't think there is a way to add in an additional support for the throttle rod as it bends immediately after the support.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.