Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Microsquish automatically updated my browser from IE 9 to IE 10, and now the return key doesn't do anything whether using the Quick-Reply or Advanced response boxes. I'm using the full WYSIWIG editor. I've also tried changing skins, which didn't matter. This also happens on GTT's sister site Workshop Addict; so I'm thinking it's a compatibility issue between vBulletin's forum software and IE 10. So now it looks like Tech Guy has another headache he probably doesn't want or need.

·
Registered
277 Posts
It's a recognised bug in the vBulletin 4.1.10 version we are running and causes the same problem with all 4.X.X versions at the moment.
The bug has been listed in vBulletin's bug tracker by quite a few unhappy members here ( you may have to log into vBulletin to view )

If you can't view the complaints, here are the latest couple :-
Guys, I reported the issue long ago and obviously Zach agrees that this needs to be fixed sooner than later. You guys should go to licensed customer feedback forum and express your concerns. I use IE10 almost all the time. This is frustrating bug for me too.
Today I've bought another XenForo licence in order to migrate away the last forum I have left running on vBulletin (since 2001).

So long, and thanks for all the fish.
vBulletin are now running the latest version 5 and I see they are experiencing quite a few problems so it could be quite a while before we upgrade and get the IE10 problem solved.
Apologies for the inconvenience to all you guys using IE10 but at the moment we don't have solution for you.
I'm running Windows 8 and have tried IE10 a couple of times after never having used it for many years. Think I'll stick with Google Chrome for a while longer. :good2:

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tech Guy; it's nice to know I'm not alone, nor am I imagining things. I think I'll get IE 9 back on my daily driver. Microsquish wanted to put IE 10 on my graphics computer; but I caught that before it happened.

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Let's see if the RETURN key works now that I've put IE 9 back on the system.

Yes it does.

Thanks for nothing Microsquish as you clowns made it a pain in the ass to get IE 9 back.

:banghead:

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the link Tech Guy. I may have to rethink whether to continue using IE or not. I've tried Firefox and it was OK; Opera downright sucked; and the first generation of Chrome I tried was so lacking I haven't tried it since.

·
Administrator
17,327 Posts
I have been a FF user for many years and like it very much, the newer versions of Chrome are OK as well. I hate Exploder...

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have been a FF user for many years and like it very much, the newer versions of Chrome are OK as well. I hate Exploder...
Firefox is a bit of a resource hog. Take a look at the two images.

Image 1 :-
Firefox V Chrome with one tab open.

Process.PNG

Image 2 :-
Firefox V Chrome with 6 tabs open.

Process6.PNG

I used to install Firefox on all my clients computers who were having problems with IE ( there were lots of 'em :laugh: ) but I always now install Chrome.

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
Gary,is Chrome the best out there right now? I was amazed at the user percentages you posted. IE steadily declines just about every year.

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
Hey Gary
I installed Chrome over the weekend,and so far,I really like it. One thing though,why do I have so many exe's. Seems it's using more resources than IE.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Looks like you have several sessions open. Do a reboot and try it again.

I am not a fan of Chrome but it definitely doesn't use a lot of resources.

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
No matter what I try,it has those four exe's running.

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
Gary,thank you very much for that link. Now I know.:thumbup1gif:
Makes Chrome very efficient. Strange why IE isn't like that. Can't imagine why the big Microsoft "think tank" wouldn't have come up with something like that.
It's going to be Chrome from now on.:)

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
IE's biggest problem is it's integrated with the OS/file manager.

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
IE's biggest problem is it's integrated with the OS/file manager.
Boy,you'd think that MS would be able to come up with a stand alone browser. They did it with Windows Mail.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Boy,you'd think that MS would be able to come up with a stand alone browser. They did it with Windows Mail.
Oh how quickly we forget....15 years ago (maybe more) they did. They purposely integrated so tightly into the OS kernel that it is inseparable. There were court cases for years. It had to do with Microsoft forcing its browser on people by distributing it with their OS. The concern was whoever dominated the browser market would dominate the internet server market as well. So, you saw IE become part of the OS more and more. That way Microsoft HAD to distribute IE with the OS...it was part of the OS.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts