Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing research on PTO driven Rototillers. I was hoping to get some insight on whether to get a regular rotation, or a reverse rotation. What are the Pro's/Con's between the too? Also, I did find out that Tarter makes a Rototiller where you can modify it to switch it between regular and reverse rotation. Does any one know of other brands where the rotation can be switched??

·
Super Moderator
4,974 Posts
My understanding is that the "County Line" brand tillers that Tractor Supply Co sells are the same design as the Tarter and can also be reversed. Some of the County Line stuff is made by Tarter so that may explain that.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I wonder about the Country Line, sold at TSC, its a 300-400 difference in price, is it really the same quality product, or is the the Cheap Chinese crap like you would find at Walmart?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Well, I wonder about the Country Line, sold at TSC, its a 300-400 difference in price, is it really the same quality product, or is the the Cheap Chinese crap like you would find at Walmart?
I have the 4' County Line tiller from Tractor Supply. I tilled 2 gardens and a portion of my yard this spring. I'm very happy with the tiller- doesn't seem to be cheaply made. It's reversible, but I don't expect to ever need that feature.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
On a walk-behind tiller I think reverse rotation would be useful. On a tractor-mounted implement I don't think it matters. My King Kutter Pro 60" tiller does a great job in various types of soils with forward rotation. It can till deeply and work things up pretty finely in most cases. Even in virgin sod it doesn't push the tractor around so I'm not sure what good reverse rotation would do.

Rob

·
Super Moderator
4,974 Posts
I own several County Line implements and there is virtually zero difference between them and the Tarter branded equipment other than the labels. And I've yet to find one that wasn't made here in the U.S. of A..

·
Premium Member
12,924 Posts
I own several County Line implements and there is virtually zero difference between them and the Tarter branded equipment other than the labels. And I've yet to find one that wasn't made here in the U.S. of A..
I have a 4' County Line tiller and do A LOT of tilling, very rugged tiller and holding up very well. And as far as I know all the County Line tillers and rotary cutters are made by Tarter.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I have a tiller for my Gravely,,,

Till going forward, it tills "normal" rotation,,
Till in tractor reverse, the tiller is tilling "reverse rotation"

I till by going back and forth in my garden, no need to turn around, simply move over,,,

Well there is a dilemma!! :flag_of_truce:

When tilling counter rotation, the tiller will jam with EVERY rock bigger than a baseball,,, :dunno:

I simply till at an idle in reverse, the machine has a slip clutch, the clutch will slip until it stalls.

After 3 seasons, I do not have ANY rocks bigger than a baseball in my garden!! :lolol:

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I have a 4' County Line tiller and do A LOT of tilling, very rugged tiller and holding up very well. And as far as I know all the County Line tillers and rotary cutters are made by Tarter.
I love my 5' county line, and it's gotten quite a workout this year as well.
Mine is made by Behlen, per the stickers and owners manual.

·
Premium Member
12,924 Posts
I love my 5' county line, and it's gotten quite a workout this year as well.
Mine is made by Behlen, per the stickers and owners manual.
Thanks, I've learned something today, what year is your tiller? Just curious because every time I've searched County Line tillers or rotary cutters it always leads to Tarter. I'm wondering if they do it by an awarded bid contract of sorts.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
When I buy a tiller, Ill be looking at either a reverse rotation or a reversible.

Im used to the 30 hydraulic tiller on my 318, so thats where my experience comes from with reverse vs forward rotation. I am assuming that the bigger tillers will do the same thing on a larger scale. From what Ive seen on youtube and online other places, that seems to be accurate to me.
In my case, I have the extension, so its 42" wide.
In forward rotation, its easier on the tractor. It doesnt work the soil as well, but youd never know unless youve used a reverse rotation tiller. It works fine in both sod and plain dirt, as long as conditions are right for tilling, but that goes with any tiller.
Reverse rotation, well, its a whole extra gear for a tiller. In hard ground, or any ground really, it will work the tractor harder. It will also leave a nicer bed.
Reverse rotation tends to bury whats on top, vs the other leaving more of it on top, if that makes sense.
It also wont push the tractor. It will pull itself down, and tend not to ride up like forward will do.
Forward rotation tends to ride up over stuff in the ground. Reverse will pull it up, unless its at the bottom arc of the tiller tines.
As to forward vs reverse and trash being pulled up and stopping the tiller, Ive had it happen both directions, so not a big issue decision wise either way to me. This last one seems somewhat contrary to the above statement about trash, but for whatever reason, it happens.
Ive found bricks, pieces of 2x4, rocks, etc both directions.
Reverse is awesome for breaking new ground. Lots of people dont do that with tillers very often.
When I was tilling gardens for people, I ran reverse the first couple years, then switched it. I got more compliments on the finished product with reverse than forward, but nobody ever complained.

Anyway, the above is simply my experience, based on a somewhat smaller tiller, and what Ill use to decide on a new tiller for the 2025, but its still mostly opinion.

·
Super Moderator
4,974 Posts
Thanks, I've learned something today, what year is your tiller? Just curious because every time I've searched County Line tillers or rotary cutters it always leads to Tarter. I'm wondering if they do it by an awarded bid contract of sorts.
There is some regional stuff going on with the County Line equipment too. Some time back there was a discussion on here and we found that some County Line items sold on the east coast were made by a company out of PA (who's name escapes me right now!) but the same Tractor Supply SKU number was made by another company for the stores west of the Mississippi river.

·
Premium Member
12,924 Posts
There is some regional stuff going on with the County Line equipment too. Some time back there was a discussion on here and we found that some County Line items sold on the east coast were made by a company out of PA (who's name escapes me right now!) but the same Tractor Supply SKU number was made by another company for the stores west of the Mississippi river.
Makes sense, cheaper cost to use a regional builder. Either way, my County Line implements are both by Tarter and they are very well built as are other County Line implements made by other companies. Although I could never see myself reversing my tiller I do find it a neat fact that the County Line tillers can be reversed, something I did not know when I bought mine.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Pretty sure what Jim said is the case, I think it's a regional thing.
I bought mine last year from TSC.

·
Super Moderator
4,974 Posts
I had to run to my local Tractor Supply today (was out of chicken feed!) and ran over and looked at their implements. Every implement they had on hand had a Tarter sticker on in. Discs, tillers, box blades, rear drag blades, hay bale spikes, broadcast spreaders, boom poles, rough cut mowers, rear finish mowers... Every single implement.

·
Premium Member
12,924 Posts
I had to run to my local Tractor Supply today (was out of chicken feed!) and ran over and looked at their implements. Every implement they had on hand had a Tarter sticker on in. Discs, tillers, box blades, rear drag blades, hay bale spikes, broadcast spreaders, boom poles, rough cut mowers, rear finish mowers... Every single implement.
That's the same thing at our TSC, guess I just assumed because every search I've ever done for County Line it either sends me to TSC site or Tarter.:dunno:

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
I have been doing research on PTO driven Rototillers. I was hoping to get some insight on whether to get a regular rotation, or a reverse rotation. What are the Pro's/Con's between the too? Also, I did find out that Tarter makes a Rototiller where you can modify it to switch it between regular and reverse rotation. Does any one know of other brands where the rotation can be switched??
This tiller from land pride is a 50" reverse tiller.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Like I said, guessing it's a regional thing. East coast, tartar. Midwest, Behlen

·
Registered
937 Posts
When I buy a tiller, Ill be looking at either a reverse rotation or a reversible.

Im used to the 30 hydraulic tiller on my 318, so thats where my experience comes from with reverse vs forward rotation. I am assuming that the bigger tillers will do the same thing on a larger scale. From what Ive seen on youtube and online other places, that seems to be accurate to me.
In my case, I have the extension, so its 42" wide.
In forward rotation, its easier on the tractor. It doesnt work the soil as well, but youd never know unless youve used a reverse rotation tiller. It works fine in both sod and plain dirt, as long as conditions are right for tilling, but that goes with any tiller.
Reverse rotation, well, its a whole extra gear for a tiller. In hard ground, or any ground really, it will work the tractor harder. It will also leave a nicer bed.
Reverse rotation tends to bury whats on top, vs the other leaving more of it on top, if that makes sense.
It also wont push the tractor. It will pull itself down, and tend not to ride up like forward will do.
Forward rotation tends to ride up over stuff in the ground. Reverse will pull it up, unless its at the bottom arc of the tiller tines.
As to forward vs reverse and trash being pulled up and stopping the tiller, Ive had it happen both directions, so not a big issue decision wise either way to me. This last one seems somewhat contrary to the above statement about trash, but for whatever reason, it happens.
Ive found bricks, pieces of 2x4, rocks, etc both directions.
Reverse is awesome for breaking new ground. Lots of people dont do that with tillers very often.
When I was tilling gardens for people, I ran reverse the first couple years, then switched it. I got more compliments on the finished product with reverse than forward, but nobody ever complained.

Anyway, the above is simply my experience, based on a somewhat smaller tiller, and what Ill use to decide on a new tiller for the 2025, but its still mostly opinion.
Good post. For me there is just no substitute for a reverse rotation. No matter how hard the ground is it will sink itself to the full depth. It also buried the trash extremely well. 1 pass with a reverse rotation equals 3 passes with a forward.

I also used my commercially to till gardens for people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts