Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have read prior posts about 54 inch front snow blade for 2320. i get the sense that the consensus is that people dont like them. the question i have is if i would have to take the whole blade frame off in order to reattach the loader to move snow after i plow it?

i like the idea of the blade that attaches to the loader. i know that deere doesnt recommend or sell them but i did follow some links and see some that would fit the 200cx loader. im not looking to tear up my loader but it would be nice to go back and forth between the bucket and blade.

i dont think i would be moving enough snow to bend the loader from or anything but some of you may know better than me.

i sure wish i lived closer to kenny and could convince him to make me one like he did for that other 2320.

does anybody have any input or insight into this stuff?

thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
17,253 Posts
i have read prior posts about 54 inch front snow blade for 2320. i get the sense that the consensus is that people dont like them.
The only negative about them is that they are to small at 54" wide--that is everybody's gripe with them, its the same blade used on small L&G tractors and he 2x20 tractors can easily handle a lager blade.

the question i have is if i would have to take the whole blade frame off in order to reattach the loader to move snow after i plow it?
Yes, the QH (quick hitch) must come off to install the loader, but it is very simple to do-just 2 pins.

i like the idea of the blade that attaches to the loader. i know that deere doesnt recommend or sell them but i did follow some links and see some that would fit the 200cx loader. im not looking to tear up my loader but it would be nice to go back and forth between the bucket and blade.
BTDT...they do NOT work well on small tractors. They stick out to far, and when they get loaded with snow the front wheels come off the ground and you loose all steering. Ever drive into a dirt pile? What happens to the front end when you do?

i dont think i would be moving enough snow to bend the loader from or anything but some of you may know better than me.
When I had mine-I was not concerned about that, the plow blade had trip springs and I went slow...it was the lack of steering and total length of the machine that turned me off.

Can't help there...But I would do whatever I could to help.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks kenny. that is great input. does anybody know what the cost should be around? ive got calls into 3 dealers, just waiting to hear back...

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Here's an option

Loader on the front and blade on the back. :unknown:

·
Corndog Hater
11,238 Posts
Loader on the front and blade on the back. :unknown:
Most folks on my road use this method, I am spoiled by the front mount blowers! If you don't get too much snow the rear blade/FEL would be good, we get hammered with lake effect snow off Lake Erie though. This setup would wear my neck out and it takes more time. Most of my neighbors are retired, so time isn't an issue (I still a couple decades of employment left!). Also, this setup is easy on the wallet as rear blades are reasonable and most folks get a FEL with their CUT/SCUT.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ive thought about the rear blade option. my two concerns about that are time and tearing up the asphalt. ive got two driveways, neither all that big, to clear. and while there isnt usually huge snows here, there are gonna be times when im gonna have to clear them before i go to work.

i heard back from the dealers on the price of the front blade. the dealer where i bought the tractor was at 1450. another was 1395. the third was way out in left field at 2600. not sure what he was thinking. ive got my dad calling the dealer he deals with in maryland so i will wait and see what they say.

still have some thinking to do i guess...

·
Registered
106 Posts
What about a vehicle snow plow? These typically connect via a front mounted 2 in receiver hitch. Clearance would have to be checked but there may be room to bolt on a 2 in receiver hitch plate (have to get one made) to the front of your tractor frame that would not interfere with loader operation. On the 2320 there are three existing bolt holes in the front frame face. Once the hitch is in place, just drop your bucket, raise your loader arms and attach the snow plow. If the plow is a less expensive manual unit your loader arms could be used to lift the plow via connected chain or cable. Actually if it fits I can see lots of uses for a front frame mounted receiver hitch. Bonus would be this same snow plow could be hooked up to a vehicle to clear roads.

·
Administrator
17,253 Posts
Those prices are inline with what I have seen. The guy Joe that I built the custom blade for paid about $800 I think for the QH setup on eBay alone. If you have a MMM then there is one other bracket you might want, it allows changing from the QH to the MMM without unbolting then front hanger brackets, I have that info at home...

·
GTT Vendor
1,530 Posts
ive thought about the rear blade option. my two concerns about that are time and tearing up the asphalt. ive got two driveways, neither all that big, to clear. and while there isnt usually huge snows here, there are gonna be times when im gonna have to clear them before i go to work.

i heard back from the dealers on the price of the front blade. the dealer where i bought the tractor was at 1450. another was 1395. the third was way out in left field at 2600. not sure what he was thinking. ive got my dad calling the dealer he deals with in maryland so i will wait and see what they say.

still have some thinking to do i guess...
Regarding the prices quoted, be sure to get printouts emailed to you for review. It's possible that the guy for 2600 is including something that you need but no one else is including. There are lots of bits and pieces to adding attachments that aren't obvious.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i will double check the completeness of the quotes before i pull the trigger. thats a good point.

·
Administrator
17,253 Posts
Google found this bucket mounted snow plow for $800 from EMP
I am sorry, but really? That looks like a hack job! Not utilizing the JDQA we have would be silly to say the least. And I thought the setup I had stuck out to far :)

·
Super Moderator
5,483 Posts
IMO,you're just itching to break something with any kind of setup utilizing the loader.
Bucket or bracket mount,don't matter. It wasn't designed to be used that way. I
don't care if they (JD) did make the attachment.Not a good idea. My .02

Greg

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,028 Posts

·
Administrator
17,253 Posts
"I am thinking of selling my homemade plow. I am putting together a new one with angle cylinders.
Fill out your profile Giz so he knows where your located;)

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,028 Posts
Fill out your profile Giz so he knows where your located;)
I'm going to start calling you Mel (wife's name). You're a PITA.:lol:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,028 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Where I live in upstate NY I wouldn't even think about using the loader for snow removal. A waste of time, unless you have a really big tractor and alot of space to put the snow. I had a 2305 and upgraded to a 2520 this year. I sold the 47'' blower with the tractor and bought the 54'' with the new tractor. However I kept my modified 54'' jd snowplow. What I did was to have a piece of 5/16'' plate 2' high by 6' wide made and bolted it to the 54'' blade, made a new scraper blade to fit. It works great and is not to wide so when angled it doesn't hit the ground. It only takes about 10 minutes or so to switch from blower to blade using the same quick mount on the tractor. The plow is in my back barn on a dolly or I would post a pic. I will once I take it out for the season. Oh and I very seldom use the plow only in slush. I also made up a set of wings for my blower that gives me another 7'' in width.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I made a FEL plow and love it. Have been using it for 4 years now with no issues. I plow mine and my one neighbor's 150-200' drive ways every storm. This past winter was brutal in CT and the tractor and plow didnt miss a beat. I use a 72" atv cycle county blade and made a frame that attaches just like my factory bucket that the blade attaches to, along with forks when needed. plow tilts side to side.

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

my old 52" plow... but you can see the frame i built.
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

and my 6-7ft snowbanks that i piled with it....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts