Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a big old parts washer from an auction for almost nothing. It doesn't look like the tank leaks and the motor turns on, so I think it is serviceable. I'll pick up a new filter and get the gunk cleaned out but before I invest in a bunch of solvent (looks like I'll need 10-20 gallons) I want to actually run the pump to make sure it actually pumps fluid OK. Is there any reason I can't fill it with water to do a test run and make sure the pump works? I'm not going to run for a long time (i.e. pump lube problems). But I don't know if these pumps will be otherwise negatively affected by running water through them.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Rob

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Our parts washers at work are cleaned out every couple of months with water. Mind you our cleaning fluid (Ozzy Juice) is water soluble and non toxic/flammable so, not sure if that matters. Cant say this stuff we use is as good as the old school chemicals but, the parts washer itself doesn't look any different than our old style ones.

Not the solid answer I was hoping to give you but, thats all I got. :usa

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Reactions: JD4044M

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I guess it all depends on what you want to fill it back up with. If water based stuff then water should be fine.
If oil based stuff you might want to try something different. Maybe mineral spirits?

We use Varsol in the one at work. It works well but stinks to high heaven. And if you get it on you, you are let getting the smell off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not a fan of eco-friendly because that usually mean 'less effective', so that probably means I'll use some type of solvent-based cleaner. PSC 1000 from Tractor Supply seems to be the most economical parts cleaner. I'm going to need 10-20 gallons (cabinet is 35" x 22") so I don't want to spend $200 on cleaner.

Are you saying that if I run water through then using solvent-based will have issues or the residual water will mess up the solvent-based cleaner?

Rob

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
maybe some diesel would work.

Reactions: Herminator

·
Administrator
21,133 Posts
My right hand has permanent burns from an eco-friendly solvent. I had no idea my glove had leaked while I was using the parts washer for a few hours. A few hours later after I was done, my hand started to feel hot and turned red. Yeah, nothing could be done then. It was too late. The chemicals had been on my hand for who knows how long. So now the skin on my right hand always feels thinner and is always dry and cracking compared to my left. In the dry winter months it's a pain, literally. Summer is so humid that it's not a big deal. My hand will never be right again.

Choose your cleaning solvent wisely. Use proper PPE. Just my $.00000002

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Our parts washers at work are cleaned out every couple of months with water. Mind you our cleaning fluid (Ozzy Juice) is water soluble and non toxic/flammable so, not sure if that matters. Cant say this stuff we use is as good as the old school chemicals but, the parts washer itself doesn't look any different than our old style ones.

Not the solid answer I was hoping to give you but, thats all I got. :usa

You have to clean yours every few months because the "Ozzy Juice" actually contains little organisms that eat the grease and other stuff that comes off the parts. The juice needs rejuvenated and also the filter screen on the drain needs replaced at the same time. It also contains stuff that helps keep the little eating critters going.

Interesting that you mention this cleaner. I've never talked to anyone that actually used one. I know the company sold a ton of them as I used to support their accounting software years ago when I was doing a bunch of work in Atlanta.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I'm just going to go with the water test. I'm in no rush to put it into service so it can have a couple weeks to fully dry out after I test it so there won't be any leftover contamination. And I'd rather not wast a couple gallons of diesel.

Thanks,
Rob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts