Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are like me you enjoy seeing photos of all the weirdo riding mowers of years past. Back in the 50's and 60's it seemed like some manufacturers were competing to see who could produce the strangest looking riding mower. More recently it seems all riding mowers pretty much look the same regardless of brand.

Well, here's to mower designs from years gone past. Enter the Swisher Ride King! Only $3200 at your local Tractor Supply and it's a ZTR no less. No worries about your legs getting uncomfortable as the 10HP engine only holds 1/2 gallon of fuel. Saddle up! :)

Ride_King1.jpg

Ride_King2.jpg

·
Administrator
20,352 Posts
Spark plug up against the fuel tank? Smart stuff there. *shakes head*

·
Premium Member
10,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There should be no excuse for not checking the oil. Also, I cannot figure out what those vertical anti-scalp wheels are for on the sides of the mower deck.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,051 Posts
There should be no excuse for not checking the oil. Also, I cannot figure out what those vertical anti-scalp wheels are for on the sides of the mower deck.
Selling feature. Unless the deck can move left or right a few inches.

BOY could I get that stuck. :lol:

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
If you are like me you enjoy seeing photos of all the weirdo riding mowers of years past. Back in the 50's and 60's it seemed like some manufacturers were competing to see who could produce the strangest looking riding mower. More recently it seems all riding mowers pretty much look the same regardless of brand.

Well, here's to mower designs from years gone past. Enter the Swisher Ride King! Only $3200 at your local Tractor Supply and it's a ZTR no less. No worries about your legs getting uncomfortable as the 10HP engine only holds 1/2 gallon of fuel. Saddle up! :)

View attachment 400586

View attachment 400594

Yep, remember the Ride King well. My brother-in-law had one back in the day. Now he has a JD 455 and a JD 6410.

Dave

·
Premium Member
10,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Selling feature. Unless the deck can move left or right a few inches.

BOY could I get that stuck. :lol:
It seems like that front single drive wheel would really tear up the lawn.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
While its an interesting concept, I don't like the location of the uncovered engine fan...

·
Premium Member
10,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
While its an interesting concept, I don't like the location of the uncovered engine fan...
That is to keep you cool while mowing. :)

·
Registered
498 Posts
Does it really still cost $100 to be California compliant? I thought manufacturers of small engine products were moving away from CA specific models and making everything compliant everywhere.

View attachment 400634
volume wise yes.

California keeps changing and to meet their rules specific output goes down usually or the expense goes up. No sense limiting your other customers just cause one state is a pita.

They have another round of standards changes on deck presumably for 2020...

C.A.R.B Link for fun light reading https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/offroad/sore/sore.htm

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
The AD must have accidentally added one extra zero onto the end of the price. :dunno:

A mower that small and useless will not sell for a multi-thousand dollar price,,,:flag_of_truce:

The machine has a hitch on the back,, WILL it pull a yard cart with some dirt in it?? :mocking:

·
Registered
498 Posts
The AD must have accidentally added one extra zero onto the end of the price. :dunno:

A mower that small and useless will not sell for a multi-thousand dollar price,,,:flag_of_truce:

The machine has a hitch on the back,, WILL it pull a yard cart with some dirt in it?? :mocking:

Swisher seems to think it will.... check out the direct site price...
https://www.swisherinc.com/zero-turn-mowers/twr10532bs-swisherr-ride-king-10-5-hp-32-briggs-stratton-zero-turn-riding-mower.html

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
You would definitely would want to check the oil. If that thing threw a rod in the wrong direct it could be a bit painful.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Looks like a gigantic vibrator with front wheel drive. I'm just say'n...:mocking:

·
Premium Member
10,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
When I was a sprite my grandfather had an old at that time giant Jacobson riding mower.
It had about five foot long twelve inch diameter roller for traction mounted behind an identical width reel mower up front that threw the clippings forward.
It was articulated and had a wide bicycle style handlebar and a huge (what only could be described as ) saddle sitting on top of a single free swiveling wheel. Took a little manhandling to maneuver in low speed, tight areas.
After I got old enough to operate it it actually was a damn fun machine to master. At speed you had a giant wave of grass in the air that would land and be re-cut.
I looked for similar pictures to show you guys but couldn't find anything like it. I thought this thread was going to be showing some of these old engineering marvels, not that turd!:laugh:

·
Registered
837 Posts
Those are for when you are on a very steep hill.:lolol:

·
Premium Member
4,711 Posts
Those are for when you are on a very steep hill.:lolol:
Now that's funny.

Not as funny somebody paying that kind of money for that but, damn funny.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Wow! That company must have a lot of crack head employees. Especially if the design and pricing departments. They probably built about 12 units. This should be enough for the next decade. lol

Absolutely nothing about it screams I need to buy one.
That thing must be murder to use on a hot day. Sitting on the muffler with a hot engine between your legs.
I can also see the front wheel putting divots al over the yard. Seeing you have to spin the front wheel 180 degrees to back up. Like if you have to pull into a dead end area of the yard. Then need to back up without turning the whole tractor around. (And I use the term tractor loosely) lol

Trying to drive up even the smallest hill is probably an exercise in futility. This thing has absolutely no weight over the drive wheel. At least all the wheel spin will keep the grass from growing on your hills. lol Like someone said them side anti scalp wheels are for cutting across a hill. They keep the front corners of the deck from digging in when the tractor tips over. lol

Normally a manufacturer puts some hot chick on our around the product to make it more appealing. Unfortunately in this case it didn't work. lol

·
Registered
10,270 Posts
I cannot figure out what those vertical anti-scalp wheels are for on the sides of the mower deck.
I've seen those on tow behind mowers. It's for making a (hopefully) smoother transition when coming into contact with something.
I've seen a couple commercial mowing outfits retrofit these onto there decks, after complains from the home owners about damage to tree bark and fence post. I've been thinking of adding something similar to the left side of my 54" deck. Some of my chain-link fence post are dented.

• Heavy-duty 1/8" thick 44" tow-behind cutting deck
  • The Swisher mower features rear discharge
  • Exclusive bumper roller system
  • Single-point cutting height adjustment of 1-1/2" to 4-1/2"
  • Operating blade engage/disengage controls
  • Universal articulating hitch with left-to-right adjustable offset
  • Finish cut - twin-blade system

1 - 20 of 25 Posts