Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Same

Votes: 8 61.5%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read many threads where someone says the ride is better with fluids and some say that it rides worse.
I wonder if it has to do with the fluid type. In my mind, fluid like water would splash and ripple during a shock like a dead blow hammer reducing impact on the rider. Something that's molasses thick as Rimguard couldn't disperse the shock as well and transfer the impact to the rider.

Is my theory crazy?

Reactions: Kbar and Guja0501

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I've run turfs' with fluid and ags with fluid, both using windshield washer fluid. With turfs, I can run max air pressure and find no difference in the ride. With ags, the ride is rough, period! I usually run ags with a little lower pressure... but it doesn't help too much! Bob

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
39 Posts
I can make arguments for all 3 options.
Better: higher inertia of the tires slows down movement reducing the jarring of bumps.
Worse: less compressible space in the tire reduces the ability of the tire to deflect and absorb bumps or obstacles.
Same: ride quality depends as much on the pressure inside the tire and stiffness of the tire.

I imagine if you're used to a soft/thin carcass as lower pressures for comfort you'll think filled tires ride worse. If you fill some already stiff/thick heavy duty tires it won't be nearly as noticeable. Thus, as with a lot of things YMMV (Your mileage may vary).

·
Registered
491 Posts
It depends on the tire. Fluid reduces the ability of the tire sidewall to flex. The tire manufacturers generally discourage the filling of radial tires as the sidewalls in these is much more flexible than that of bias ply tires. The sidewall flexibility is what gives radials the better ride at road speeds and a wider contact patch for better traction and less soil compaction. Most of what I have operated has been bias ply and I can't tell a difference in ride quality between air-filled bias ag and industrial tires vs. fluid filled tires. There is however a noticeable difference in traction...

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since this first post I've add 10.5 gallons of WW Fluid in each rear tire.

It's been a dramatic improvement on ride quality. Much less bounce and side to side jerk which makes operation much less painful on my back injury. Totally worth it for that reason alone.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
I’m wondering what the ride quality is with foam filled tires. Because I got sick of having to deal with flats, leaks, sticky juice, broken stems, low pressure from cold and so on. So they’re out getting permanent now.
Let us know how or if it changes 👍

·
Registered
383 Posts
Since this first post I've add 10.5 gallons of WW Fluid in each rear tire.

It's been a dramatic improvement on ride quality. Much less bounce and side to side jerk which makes operation much less painful on my back injury. Totally worth it for that reason alone.
I think the ride is worse but wait for those that swear by the rim guard chart says 8 gallons and that you don’t have 10.5 in yours. I put 11-11.5 in each of mine.

·
Premium Member
10,388 Posts
Funny I’ve been considering removing the rim guard from my tires. They came with the tractor new and do t know the difference. I was thinking more in the lines of less lawn tear up but less side to side stability but add spacers. So many variables here to consider. Small ones also like tread depth and wear. Sidewall age. Tire designs. I hear the new Versa Turfs are better ride quality. Are they not made by the same outfit just different tread pattern?
Also what about mowing? Less or more scalping or uneven cuts due to more tire deflection? This ride quality I think comes at a price. I didn’t ask for beet juice but my tractor came with rim guard and now my stems are clogged. So, now I can’t adjust my air pressure until I get them replaced and will most likely just have the rim guard removed. Afterwards I will need to rebalance my mower deck. Then and only then will I decide to maybe put washer fluid in or not. Remarkably my tire pressure has remained and I await the time I walk into my garage and see a low tire. At that time I’ll be loading them in my truck and off to the tire shop

·
Registered
131 Posts
Funny I’ve been considering removing the rim guard from my tires. They came with the tractor new and do t know the difference. I was thinking more in the lines of less lawn tear up but less side to side stability but add spacers. So many variables here to consider. Small ones also like tread depth and wear. Sidewall age. Tire designs. I hear the new Versa Turfs are better ride quality. Are they not made by the same outfit just different tread pattern?
Also what about mowing? Less or more scalping or uneven cuts due to more tire deflection? This ride quality I think comes at a price. I didn’t ask for beet juice but my tractor came with rim guard and now my stems are clogged. So, now I can’t adjust my air pressure until I get them replaced and will most likely just have the rim guard removed. Afterwards I will need to rebalance my mower deck. Then and only then will I decide to maybe put washer fluid in or not. Remarkably my tire pressure has remained and I await the time I walk into my garage and see a low tire. At that time I’ll be loading them in my truck and off to the tire shop
As long as you have another piece of equipment to load them in with!

·
Premium Member
10,388 Posts

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rimguard looks like nasty stuff. I would have to drive a 250 mile round trip to get it so it wasn't an option for me. I'm still sticking to the theory that WWF is absorbing shocks in ripples better than a thick liquid can. I have 3 bad discs in my back and I can definitely feel less beat down after some tractor time now. It was more noticeable than the butt burrito bag upgrade.

Reactions: Kbar

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
Versaturfs are a radial tire, where the R4s are bias ply. Ride quality from the different tire carcus will be the most noticeable.

It's reasonable to assume that the additional unsprung weight (well weight not carried by tractor frame, since there is no "suspension" beyond the tire sidewall) of the filled tires helps absorb or better "plant" the tire around the bump reducing the shock load put in the sidewall and transfered to the chassis. This likely is creating a better ride over the nagging bumps/rocks that will beat up a lower back for extended operating periods - like mowing.

Reactions: EVT

·
Premium Member
10,388 Posts
Upgrading to a 2 series is also an option I have been flirting with to improve ride quality. Can’t seem to take the plunge though.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Upgrading to a 2 series is also an option I have been flirting with to improve ride quality. Can’t seem to take the plunge though.
A real 2 or a 1.5 ? :whistle:

·
Premium Member
10,388 Posts
A real 2 or a 1.5 ? :whistle:
Realistically a 1.5. Can’t seem to justify anything more.
Sure would make things simpler if they just let us put bigger tires on the 1025R

·
Registered
491 Posts
I wonder if the thing that is clogged in your wheel is actually the valve core that sits inside of the valve stem. Tire sealant and other liquids inside of the tire can easily clog a valve core. Valve cores are cheap and easy to replace. The only thing to be careful about is to make sure your valve stem is at 12:00 and let out the pressure slowly, else you will make a mess.

Rimguard looks like nasty stuff. I would have to drive a 250 mile round trip to get it so it wasn't an option for me. I'm still sticking to the theory that WWF is absorbing shocks in ripples better than a thick liquid can. I have 3 bad discs in my back and I can definitely feel less beat down after some tractor time now. It was more noticeable than the butt burrito bag upgrade.
Liquids do not absorb shocks, they are nearly incompressible. The sidewalls deflecting, causing the air above the liquid to compress, does absorb shocks though.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I never noticed the difference when adding 640#s of Rim Gard to my loader tractor with turf tires. (switched tires from side to side to in order to gain 5" of additional width for sterility on hills)

It is a moot point anyway regarding ride quality as it is going slow and it wouldn't matter anyway, I want it to perform.

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
4,567 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.