Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Same

Votes: 6 75.0%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read many threads where someone says the ride is better with fluids and some say that it rides worse.
I wonder if it has to do with the fluid type. In my mind, fluid like water would splash and ripple during a shock like a dead blow hammer reducing impact on the rider. Something that's molasses thick as Rimguard couldn't disperse the shock as well and transfer the impact to the rider.

Is my theory crazy?

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I've run turfs' with fluid and ags with fluid, both using windshield washer fluid. With turfs, I can run max air pressure and find no difference in the ride. With ags, the ride is rough, period! I usually run ags with a little lower pressure... but it doesn't help too much! Bob

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
29 Posts
I can make arguments for all 3 options.
Better: higher inertia of the tires slows down movement reducing the jarring of bumps.
Worse: less compressible space in the tire reduces the ability of the tire to deflect and absorb bumps or obstacles.
Same: ride quality depends as much on the pressure inside the tire and stiffness of the tire.

I imagine if you're used to a soft/thin carcass as lower pressures for comfort you'll think filled tires ride worse. If you fill some already stiff/thick heavy duty tires it won't be nearly as noticeable. Thus, as with a lot of things YMMV (Your mileage may vary).

·
Registered
112 Posts
It depends on the tire. Fluid reduces the ability of the tire sidewall to flex. The tire manufacturers generally discourage the filling of radial tires as the sidewalls in these is much more flexible than that of bias ply tires. The sidewall flexibility is what gives radials the better ride at road speeds and a wider contact patch for better traction and less soil compaction. Most of what I have operated has been bias ply and I can't tell a difference in ride quality between air-filled bias ag and industrial tires vs. fluid filled tires. There is however a noticeable difference in traction...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts