Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this question has probably been ask before,,, but here it goes,, what size tiller would be best for behind a 1025 and any particular brand better than others?? thanks,,

·
Registered
363 Posts
I think my 647 JD tiller is the right size for the tractor. I am sure there are other brands that will work as well. I am sure those people will chime in soon.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have a 5" LandPride tiller I use with a larger tractor. I hooked it to my 1025R just to see how it would do and it was oversized for the tractor. It tilled fine going down 3 or 4 inches in previously tilled soil but tilling down the max of the tiller (about 8") really pulled the tractor down and it didn't do very well on sod. I also had to hang 200 lbs of weight on the front of the tractor to keep the front end down.

I was at an auction a few months back and bought a used 48" AgriFab tiller. We use our 1025r 99% for mowing but for $100 couldn't pass this up. I hooked this to the 1025r and it works great. No issues with tilling to the maximum depth of the tiller, broke up new sod just fine and the weight was much more in line with the tractor's specs.

The brand you go with is a matter of choice but I would definitely suggest you go with a 48" tiller.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I agree that about 48" is good for the 1 series. I just got a 48" for my 1026R. I got one for sub compacts from Tractor Supply. The attachment points are lower which gives you more ground clearance when moving to and from use area. It is also a little lighter than the standard cat 1 48" model. Still has plenty of weight, I do not remember exactly but it is over 450#. TSC has changed their supplier for these sub compact models. They are now made by Tarter and are chain drive. They require type 00 grease for the chain case which is not readily available. Otherwise it works well and for my occasional use was quite a bit less expensive.

Rich

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
4' King Kutter.... :thumbup1gif: Best bang for the $ IMO..
X2 I have a 4' KK BX, works great.:thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/implements-attachments/7466-hawkline-48-rotary-tiller.html

Here is a link to a thread I started this spring. I like the tiller and for the money its hard to beat. Now I will say I've never felt like power has been an issue. It is HEAVY! With that being said I think a 5' would be better able to cover your tracks. Lifting the 5' TSC tiller would be right at the tractor's limit. So that's something to think about. With my loader on it made the front light going up hills and mine is just the 4'.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/implements-attachments/7466-hawkline-48-rotary-tiller.html

Here is a link to a thread I started this spring. I like the tiller and for the money its hard to beat. Now I will say I've never felt like power has been an issue. It is HEAVY! With that being said I think a 5' would be better able to cover your tracks. Lifting the 5' TSC tiller would be right at the tractor's limit. So that's something to think about. With my loader on it made the front light going up hills and mine is just the 4'.

The first three years I had my 5' KK tiller, I used it on a 2210. It would lift it just fine.. However, without any front end weight or loader, you could lift the front end up with your pinky!! I just ran the loader frame no bucket and was fine. NOW, my main issue was HP, and lack of it. A 2210 will run a 5' just not full depth. IMO 5' is too much unless your talking 2520 maybe a 2320 but Im gonna say 2520 and up and your fine..

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
I ran mine all the way down, as in no skids at all, when doing my garden and the 1026R didn't pull nearly as much as I thought it would with a 4' tiller back there. I hit chunk of wood and it slipped the clutch, but it broke free before the tractor really pulled down. Once I went N/S I then went E/W and it went even deeper. The soil was premium Iowa Loess Hill loam. It had some sod and other places were bare. It left a really nice fluffy seed bed. The soil was 1" maybe 1 1/2" taller than the untilled ground.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with this type/price tiller. The JD 647 is lighter, chain drive, and double the price. It was on my list, but I just couldn't justify the almost double cost. It looked really good thou! :thumbup1gif:

p.s. Small garden I know. Didn't have a PTO that would work any longer than what I got. It turned out to be a bad instrument cluster. That's a whole nother thread. :laugh:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree that about 48" is good for the 1 series. I just got a 48" for my 1026R. I got one for sub compacts from Tractor Supply. The attachment points are lower which gives you more ground clearance when moving to and from use area. It is also a little lighter than the standard cat 1 48" model. Still has plenty of weight, I do not remember exactly but it is over 450#. TSC has changed their supplier for these sub compact models. They are now made by Tarter and are chain drive. They require type 00 grease for the chain case which is not readily available. Otherwise it works well and for my occasional use was quite a bit less expensive.

Rich
if you are having problems finding OO grease,, find a snapper lawn mower dealer,, they use OO grease in the rear ends of the rear engine riders,,, hope this helps,,,

·
Registered
768 Posts
if you are having problems finding OO grease,, find a snapper lawn mower dealer,, they use OO grease in the rear ends of the rear engine riders,,, hope this helps,,,
I can second this as having a snapper 21" mower.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Teddy and Green Man,

Thanks for the info. I was aware of that and found a mower supply outfit online and ordered it. Right now I don't remember the name of the place (CRS). They shipped it very quickly and the tiller seams to work well. I am happy with it because it was only $1500.00. I am sure it is not as good as many of the others, but it will be getting very limited use.

Thanks again for your help, everyone on this site is very helpful.:thumbup1gif:

Rich

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well I got to run a landpride RTR1258 today,, the rental place down the road rents it for $50.00 it worked great,, ran at wide open throttle and low range slow speed,, only dug in about 4 inches but worked great,, got the whole job done in 2 hours,, am thinking a 48 would be the best if I could find a 54 inch that would be perfect to cover the wheel tracks,,,

·
Registered
135 Posts
Many tillers allow you to adjust them to offset them to one side and cover at least one wheel track. If you found an adjustable 48" you'd be in great shape.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
My 4' KK seems to cover the tracks of my 1026R. Could be that some 4' tillers don't cut a honest 4'? :unknown: I haven't measured the tiller or tractor, but I am sure my tiller is a tad wider than the tractor.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I find it odd but no one has mentioned the frontier brand tiller which John Deere offers here in Texas anyway. I bought an RT1149 tiller with my 1026R and got the $500 off on the 2 implements. My frontier tiller is 48" across and can be offset. I paid $1850 for mine brand new and it works great, no worries mate!

·
Registered
218 Posts
My dealer won't sell the frontier tillers (or doesn't recommend them.). Says the arms that go to the top link bend. Evidently they have had this problem on a few units and they are turned off by them. I find it hard to believe that this a a problem with the Frontier units. Both the JD and Frontier tillers are Italian made I believe. Pretty sure the JD tillers are made by Sicma. The Frontiers look like Maschio tillers to me. Someone on here probably knows who makes them.

I think a 50" or 54" tiller would be perfect for the 1026 (or 1025).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: courier

·
Registered
18 Posts
I ran mine all the way down, as in no skids at all, when doing my garden and the 1026R didn't pull nearly as much as I thought it would with a 4' tiller back there. I hit chunk of wood and it slipped the clutch, but it broke free before the tractor really pulled down. Once I went N/S I then went E/W and it went even deeper. The soil was premium Iowa Loess Hill loam. It had some sod and other places were bare. It left a really nice fluffy seed bed. The soil was 1" maybe 1 1/2" taller than the untilled ground.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with this type/price tiller. The JD 647 is lighter, chain drive, and double the price. It was on my list, but I just couldn't justify the almost double cost. It looked really good thou! :thumbup1gif:

p.s. Small garden I know. Didn't have a PTO that would work any longer than what I got. It turned out to be a bad instrument cluster. That's a whole nother thread. :laugh:
Hi! It may sound like a special request, but I was wondering if you would agree to let me use this photo on my business flyer? I have a really hard time finding a picture that would be great to advertise my tilling services, and this one would be great! feel free to say no if you have any problem with my request, and I'll respect that 100%.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I have used a 54" King Kutter on a 1023e and it covered the trax perfectly. Had to keep the speed reasonable but I busted through lawn to full depth with just a little bogging if I got going too quick. Ohio clay-sand mix. Haven't tried it on my higher horsepower 1025r.

Reactions: BigJim55
1 - 20 of 24 Posts