Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today i went to check my tire pressure and the screw cap was seized on the threads so i worked it a little harder with my fingers...then the entire thread piece blew out of the valve stem and blew rimguard all over my face and the rest of me (and very expectantly i might add)! i think this stem was defective but i was wondering if anyone had any similar experiences?

eventually i found the brass piece and it was not damaged so i used some epoxy and stuck it back in there and held like a champ...but now about 1/4 of the tire still has rimguard by my guess but the other tire is still 3/4 of the way full of course. is it okay to run the tractor like i normally would or do need to get the tire refilled before i start blowing grass and moving dirt?

I plan to get the tire to the dealer for a refill and valve stem replacement but i'd like to use the machine between now and then.

...by the way...rimguard to the face was not fun and man that stuff stinks! =]

·
Administrator
21,541 Posts
I don't see any reason not to go ahead and use it.:good2:

That has got to suck. I'm sure there's a better way to get your daily serving of vegetable juice.

Sorry, couldn't help it.:flag_of_truce::laugh:

·
Registered
4,729 Posts
Today i went to check my tire pressure and the screw cap was seized on the threads so i worked it a little harder with my fingers...then the entire thread piece blew out of the valve stem and blew rimguard all over my face and the rest of me (and very expectantly i might add)! i think this stem was defective but i was wondering if anyone had any similar experiences?

eventually i found the brass piece and it was not damaged so i used some epoxy and stuck it back in there and held like a champ...but now about 1/4 of the tire still has rimguard by my guess but the other tire is still 3/4 of the way full of course. is it okay to run the tractor like i normally would or do need to get the tire refilled before i start blowing grass and moving dirt?

I plan to get the tire to the dealer for a refill and valve stem replacement but i'd like to use the machine between now and then.

...by the way...rimguard to the face was not fun and man that stuff stinks! =]
The real question I've been wondering for years....What does it taste like? I know what Calcium Chloride taste like, and most other automotive fluids due to experiences similar to yours.
I think you will be OK to run for awhile like that, I'm sure it's not ideal. Just mow with the light wheel on the down-hill side:laugh:

·
Premium Member
10,130 Posts
That sucks. Is it a rubber valve stem, or all metal? Did the core blow out of the center, or the meta tube came out of the rubber body?

The rubber valve stems seem to do that. Haven't had it happen on a tractor, but one trailer tire and two tires on my work truck have had the metal tube come out of the rubber body.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That sucks. Is it a rubber valve stem, or all metal? Did the core blow out of the center, or the meta tube came out of the rubber body?

The rubber valve stems seem to do that. Haven't had it happen on a tractor, but one trailer tire and two tires on my work truck have had the metal tube come out of the rubber body.
The metal tube came out of the rubber body. I don't think it was adhered very well. I don't know how to describe the taste...kinda like bad vegetables that were old and rotten perhaps :tongue: and i told my wife no veggies for me this week since i got my dose today! :fed:

Right after it happened i jumped on the machine, fired it up and backed it up about 5'...it was sitting in the middle of my driveway blocking both my vehicles; i knew if i let it blow down to nothing i wouldn't be able to move it. by the time i backed it up it was out of air and spewing rimguard everywhere still. I then used my outrigger to jackup the tractor and remove the tire which worked great...built in jacks are nice!

the good news is the stuff cleans up very easily with water...just hoses right off the driveway, cars, house, tractor, dog, and me! :tongue:

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
"...kinda like bad vegetables that were old and rotten perhaps and i told my wife no veggies for me this week since i got my dose today!"
And the beet goes on... (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

·
Registered
479 Posts
Sucks that a less than 1$ stem can cause such frustration. Though i haven't had this happen with my rim-guarded tires, a couple weeks back when going to check the pressure in my truck tires, i found a valve cap seized on the aluminum stem threads, twisted and it popped right off (broke at thread), throwing the core at high rate of speed. I need to start wearing safety glasses 24/7 :)

I'll replace rubber stems with threaded brass stems when i have opportunity. That's what belongs on a JD gem.

·
Registered
612 Posts
WOW!!! I could have had a V8!!!

·
Registered
716 Posts
That stuff DOES stink something fierce! I got a hole in my 1026 rear tire at only 10 hours and didn't notice it until driving the tractor at full speed down the road. That rimguard was flying everywhere! Very sticky and stinky.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts