1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
17,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
14,735 Posts
Seen them once , at the Civic Arena, Pittsburgh Pa what a show.
Never knew for sure what was going to happen next.

RIP Meadowlark Lemon.

·
Premium Member
8,841 Posts
Many years ago, The Harlem Globetrotters used to come to our High School every 3 to 5 years or so for a sold out show. Saw them a few times there. Meadowlark never stopped talking and joking and never stopped moving. A good entertainer in an era when entertainment was more than merely being on a "reality" show.

Hard to imagine him stopped moving. But I guess it will happen to all of us eventually. I sincerely hope he was rewarded financially for all of his years of dedication to his craft and the enjoyment he brought so many people.

May he rest in peace.........

On a side note, Muhammad Ali used to be a neighbor of mine. His "training farm" is just down the road a short piece. He used to run by on the roads during his fighting days and after his retirement, you would often see him at the local Dairy Queen and grocery store. We used the same Veterinarian and would often see his wife Lonnie there bringing in their Dobermans and Rottweilers for boarding and often Muhammad would be waiting in the car, always friendly and gracious to anyone he met.

My wife and I supported a special fundraiser he and his wife Lonnie held for a local college scholarship fund and as a thank you, he gave us his copy of the Nicely framed Academy Award Movie Poster which was presented to him by the Academy when the documentary 'When we were Kings" about the Rumble in the Jungle won an Academy Award for Best Documentary in 1996. He autographed it and it is something which we really treasure. He also gave us the original CD which was produced just for him and his wife by a jazz artist who was part of the music team for the documentary. A r
eally nice couple and very generous and community oriented. Despite all of his success and achievements, he is a very nice and "normal" man. No airs or pretense about either him or his wife. When you shake his hand, his hand just swallows mine and I am 6'4" and 260 pounds and wear xx large gloves, so I am not a small guy.

One time we were at the local Dairy Queen and in came Muhammad and his wife. He walked around and shook hands and was very friendly. He even had one family follow him back to his house and he personally autographed boxing gloves which he gave to the kids. He is a class act.

Sadly, he has been seriously afflicted by Parkinsons and he has since moved to Scottsdale. He still owns his "farm" here last I heard.

Sorry to get off track here. Thinking about great sports figures just reminded me of how fortunate we have been to really get to know Muhammad and his wife Lonnie............

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Saw them in Hartford Ct along time ago, was always a fan. They put on a great show.
RIP Meadowlark

·
Premium Member
4,400 Posts
Anybody ever see the Harlem Globetrotters? I did when I was a kid, it was a real treat!

Meadowlark Lemon Biography - Official Website

Meadowlark Lemon - WSJ
Like Sulley stated; The globe Trotters used to come to our high school back in the late 60"s and Meadowlark was quite a hit along with the entire team. When we saw one of them "dunk" a ball that was awesome, no one did that back then.. The other team that also would do that very same thing was the Harlem Wizards, and they may have had a few of the same players, if not all of them. The trotters used to play the teachers, pulling down their shorts while making a free throws etc.. Funny stuff. It was always a great time. Thanks for posting.. :hi:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,486 Posts
Many years ago, The Harlem Globetrotters used to come to our High School every 3 to 5 years or so for a sold out show.
Like Sulley stated; The globe Trotters used to come to our high school back in the late 60"s and Meadowlark was quite a hit along with the entire team.
X3, Same here. Then it was the Harlem Wizards.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Truly one of the greatest, think of all the goodwill he & his team brought to all of the world.

My parents bought me a red/white/blue basketball because I was so taken with the Harlem Globetrotters in elementary school.
I did play for the school team a couple of seasons, but the school used those lame orange balls...
(Basketball being the state religion of Indiana)

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Thanks for posting that, I'd missed it.

One of the great memories of my late BIL, seeing the Trotters several times in the Westchester County center back in the '60's! Last time we somhow upgraded to courtside and BIL got the "Fake Bucket of Water" trick! Even though we knew it was coming it was a gas! There is nothing like them today to my knowledge, good clean fun for everybody. (And I'm NOT a bsktbll fan at all.:laugh:_)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts