Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
17,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two-time Oscar nominee Peter Fonda, who became a counterculture icon when he co-wrote, produced and starred in seminal 1969 road movie “Easy Rider,” then showed Hollywood he could act about three decades later in “Ulee’s Gold,” died on Friday from lung cancer at his home in Los Angeles. He was 79.

His sister Jane Fonda said in a statement, “I am very sad. He was my sweet-hearted baby brother. The talker of the family. I have had beautiful alone time with him these last days. He went out laughing.”

His wife Parky released a statement on behalf of the family, saying “In one of the saddest moments of our lives, we are not able to find the appropriate words to express the pain in our hearts…And, while we mourn the loss of this sweet and gracious man, we also wish for all to celebrate his indomitable spirit and love of life. In honor of Peter, please raise a glass to freedom.”

More recently, Fonda played Mephistopheles in the Nicolas Cage vehicle “Ghost Rider” and a biker, for the umpteenth time in his career, in the John Travolta-Tim Allen comedy “Wild Hogs”; had a nice supporting role as a bounty hunter in the 2007 remake “3:10 to Yuma”; and reunited with Cage in the 2015 Louisiana political drama “The Runner,” in which Fonda played the younger actor’s father.

More here:

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/peter-fonda-dead-star-of-easy-rider-ulees-gold-dies-at-79-1203305078/

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
Can't forget him in Easy Rider!:good2:

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
He did a good job as the Pinkerton "Bounty Hunter" in the movie 3:10 to Yuma, which was one of the very few remakes where the remake was better than the original movie. But his character also found out in the movie that "Even bad men love their mama's".........when Russel Crowe's character threw him off the mountain for making disparaging comments about his mother......

It's amazing the impact which "Easy Rider" had on American Society. I know John Wayne was not happy when Easy Rider was nominated for Academy Awards. He was very vocal about what he viewed as "non family values" movies being produced by Hollywood.

It was the beginning of the "Hollywood Renovation" where which new movies were going to be made was no longer controlled exclusively by the Iconic studios and their executives.

The movie Easy Rider was made with a total budget of $400,000 and grossed over $60 million, which is simply astonishing........few movies ever generate 150 times their production budget in gross sales.

Time marches on.............RIP Peter Fonda.

·
Registered
540 Posts
When you say 'Peter Fonda', my thoughts automatically go to 'Easy Rider'. He and Dennis Hopper were the idols of every kid who rode a motorcycle back in 1969, and into the 70's. Sorry to hear that he is no longer with us, but cancer is a horrible disease and I'm glad that he is no longer in pain. RIP.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'd only seen Easy Rider once, when I was about 14 and the only options for entertainment were the $1 movie house, and three VHF and one UHF channel on the tee-vee, so it was also "sanitized".

Sometime, maybe '02 or '03, he was on tour with the movie, hitting film fests, etc, raising money for a proper restoration. As of then, there were *NO* full, intact copies. He had acquired several distribution copies, these, with all the issues that go along with film stored (not always well or properly) for 30 years, had been spliced together to make a new "Master Copy" to replace the long-lost original master.

It looked it, most especially with the colors, as some copies had faded more or less than others.

Anyway, they screened a full length, restored, film copy of it at the indy film house it was hosted at, then there was about a 2 hour Q&A, then a reception after. The manager of the film house was, we'll say, a "close friend", just to keep things family-friendly. I paid full price for tix for the film, but got tix for the film, the Q&A, and the reception after (I did make a cash donation at the reception for the restoration, the biggest issue there wasn't the price but the limited number of tix).

It was, in a word, amazing. He had done a maybe half-hour talk before the screening about what they were doing, the issues with getting copies over the years, etc, etc, then in the Q&A answered a ton of questions, then during the reception mingled as if it was the most natural thing in the world. A truly engaging and entertaining evening was had by all.

Not often you get a chance like that. I almost didn't do it, as it was an awful period of my life and I had very much withdrawn from most interactions with carbon-based life forms. She managed to draw me out for this, and in the end, it was the beginning of what some may call "The healing process". It's not because he was such an awesome guy, or even just meeting him, but the fact that I had experienced something few had or would later that sort of moved me forward.

Granted, if my life was peachy then I would still have had a great time, but the connection with re-emerging into life outside my shell and the catalyzing effect it had will always stay with me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts