Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took advantage of the warm weather and low lake level to start putting 12 tons of rip-rap along the shoreline today. This stuff is a pain to work with, but my 3032E does the trick.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,124 Posts
Next time rent one of these and that rip-rap will seem like pea gravel. :)

loader.jpg

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
232 Posts

·
Registered
22,652 Posts
I love rip-rap for applications like yours. We used a lot of it when I worked for the state - big stuff! It was pretty neat to watch our Gradall operator catch the pieces that wanted to take off when dumping on a hill.

Stuff that we put in 25 years ago is still there even after lots of floods.

·
Super Moderator
5,534 Posts
Are those chains on the tires of that monster? :greentractorride:
Yes. It's actually a mesh sotospeak. It's used to protect those very expensive tires when used around very harsh/abrasive materials.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts

·
Corndog Hater
11,685 Posts
Looks good catfishin! And you’ve even got your property line marked off. As a surveyor, I like to see that.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks good catfishin! And you’ve even got your property line marked off. As a surveyor, I like to see that.
Thanks Jamie! I just had it resurveyed. My neighbor pulled the pins up so he could do whatever he wanted. He actually pulled them back up. I think it's all straight now. The surveyor politely explained how he broke the law because he pulled them up. So now I have a sourpuss neighbor. He'll get over it though.q:lol:

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
Tie back into the bank

Thanks Jamie! I just had it resurveyed. My neighbor pulled the pins up so he could do whatever he wanted. He actually pulled them back up. I think it's all straight now. The surveyor politely explained how he broke the law because he pulled them up. So now I have a sourpuss neighbor. He'll get over it though.q:lol:
Over time, seawalls are being replaced by rip rap here although a little bigger stone. One thing quickly became apparent was that with either a seawall or riprap you had to tie the end back into the bank where it stopped.

I doubt Lake Anna has enough wave action to cause the same issue so you may be ok. I would guess that most of your issues are from boat wakes.

By the way, are you on the warm or cold side of the lake?

Treefarmer

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Over time, seawalls are being replaced by rip rap here although a little bigger stone. One thing quickly became apparent was that with either a seawall or riprap you had to tie the end back into the bank where it stopped.

I doubt Lake Anna has enough wave action to cause the same issue so you may be ok. I would guess that most of your issues are from boat wakes.

By the way, are you on the warm or cold side of the lake?

Treefarmer
I'm on the cold side on Sturgeon Creek. It's the wakes from the wake board boats doing the damage. Not all, but a lot are entitled to do whatever they want, wherever they want, how they want with no regard for safety or property.

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
Pretty lake

I'm on the cold side on Sturgeon Creek. It's the wakes from the wake board boats doing the damage. Not all, but a lot are entitled to do whatever they want, wherever they want, how they want with no regard for safety or property.

I can see that. In my younger days we did a lot of water skiing. I think twice we took the boat to Lake Anna. The number of boats and the way they were operated made it not much fun. It's a pretty lake but it seems like the boat operator's license hasn't really taken the bad drivers off the water, just generated money for VDGIF.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can see that. In my younger days we did a lot of water skiing. I think twice we took the boat to Lake Anna. The number of boats and the way they were operated made it not much fun. It's a pretty lake but it seems like the boat operator's license hasn't really taken the bad drivers off the water, just generated money for VDGIF.

Treefarmer
I totally agree! The Wake Board Boats are the worse.

·
Registered
22,652 Posts
One thing about rip-rap - at least around here - is that it is limestone. One of the many regulations for living in the middle of a state forest and also at the head end of the Chesapeak watershed is that anything that might touch water has to be limestone. That includes rip-rap used on banks, #4 stone used in drainage ditches, and even #2 stone that is put on any dirt roads.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Yes. It's actually a mesh sotospeak. It's used to protect those very expensive tires when used around very harsh/abrasive materials.
Looks like big money to me. I'm just glad I don't have to change the tires.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finshed up the rip-rap. This is some nasty stuff to work with. It took 3.5 hours to spread 12 tons. It did go faster than I had thought. That was a huge pile to start with.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Nice work in the shoreline!

I envy you being able to leave dockage etc in the lake all year,
if we don't up here the ice movement can crush anything left in the water.

similarly to you though, water levels are low here, but my frontage
is on a man made/man controlled reservoir so water level is dropped
in the fall to make room for snow/spring runoff in spring.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice work in the shoreline!

I envy you being able to leave dockage etc in the lake all year,
if we don't up here the ice movement can crush anything left in the water.

similarly to you though, water levels are low here, but my frontage
is on a man made/man controlled reservoir so water level is dropped
in the fall to make room for snow/spring runoff in spring.
We're in a terrible drought. Our lake is for a nuclear power plant. It's so low a lot of people can't get their boats of the lifts.

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
Hope the rains helped

We're in a terrible drought. Our lake is for a nuclear power plant. It's so low a lot of people can't get their boats of the lifts.

LOL, I hope the recent rains have helped. As I recall, if the level gets too low Dominion Battery and Candle has to shut the teapot down. Then things are going to get dim for a lot of people. It's really rare to have that issue in winter so unless we get some substantial February rains, things might not look good this summer.

Treefarmer

1 - 20 of 25 Posts