1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Administrator
17,954 Posts
Wow, that explains why I heard Purple Rain on the classic rock station I was listening to earlier while riding the bike, now I know why...

RIP Prince.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
RIP Prince......"Purple Rain" is one of my favorites.......

·
Registered
41 Posts
He was "formerly" known as Prince, not formally. :)

I was never a fan of his music. I always found it annoying.
Formerly known as but, wasn't that what he went by yet? I'm so confused, is he what Bruce/Kaitlyn Jenner desires to live like.........Bwaahaha...

·
Registered
446 Posts
Name...

He infamously changed his name to an unpronounceable symbol in the 1990s during a dispute with his record label, Warner Bros. He started to become known then as the "Artist Formerly Known as Prince."

In 2000 when the singer's publishing contract with the company expired, he reclaimed the name Prince

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Been quite a few musicians I am familiar with passing on this year. Must mean I am old.

My goal is to outlive Keith Richards, if he outlives me the embarrassment will kill me.....oh wait.....never mind. :unknown:

·
Registered
417 Posts
I was a fan until I watched the Kevin Smith You Tube about him, it totally spoiled his music for me. If you lend me a ...say lawn mower, I return it to you with a full tank of gas, cleaned up and I owe you and won't forget. Not to stomp on the guy's grave but you would have been lucky to get the lawn mower back from this guy. That sticks in my craw. It's like entertainers who try to talk politics, it's the quickest way to get you off my watch list. I guess I'm more than a little tired of of the so-called 'entitled'. I figure you're lucky you beat the odds and made it as a singer or actor...entertain and shut up. :zip: you beat the odds, so why would you try to talk politics; it's the easiest way to lose 50% of your audience. and with that.....RIP. (too soon?)

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He was "formerly" known as Prince, not formally. :)

I was never a fan of his music. I always found it annoying.
Yup, spell Czech works grate, except four homonyms if your not paying attention..... :banghead:

·
Registered
365 Posts
I was a teen in the '80's. So yeah, Prince was cool. I loved his early music. And the movie Purple Rain was pretty good. This also was back when MTV actually played music videos.

Prince, like a lot uber talented and stupid rich artists, surround themselves with idiots who just say yes to whatever dumb idea they come up with. After Raspberry Beret he seemed to start the downward spiral. Yes, he had to abandoned his name to work around his contract. Yet his over the top eccentric weirdness lost me as a fan.

Still, he was a big part of my teen years with tons of great memories and possibly some permeant hearing loss.

isaac

·
Registered
365 Posts
and this is just in......

Attachments

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I was a teen in the '80's. So yeah, Prince was cool. I loved his early music. And the movie Purple Rain was pretty good. This also was back when MTV actually played music videos.

Prince, like a lot uber talented and stupid rich artists, surround themselves with idiots who just say yes to whatever dumb idea they come up with. After Raspberry Beret he seemed to start the downward spiral. Yes, he had to abandoned his name to work around his contract. Yet his over the top eccentric weirdness lost me as a fan.

Still, he was a big part of my teen years with tons of great memories and possibly some terminate hearing loss.

isaac
I feel the same way about his music. Guy was weird, but liked his music and songs.. More great talent lost to drugs.. :banghead:

·
Super Moderator
5,536 Posts
Loved his music, and I'm not young.:)
He was a heck of a singer and not really mentioned much but also one heck of a guitar player.

·
Registered
417 Posts

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I feel the same way about his music. Guy was weird, but liked his music and songs.. More great talent lost to drugs.. :banghead:
Did the autopsy report come out already? I didn't see anywhere in the news reports that drugs were the cause of death. :unknown:

·
Premium Member
8,800 Posts
Now they are talking about the absolute chaos Prince's business and personal affairs are in because he constantly switched out his "advisors" and whenever one would tell him something he didn't like, out the door they would go and in would come a yes man / woman / "gender neutral" person. I have worked with people like this who engage professionals for their advice and when they don't like what you tell them, usually the fight is on. Actually, this is a great test of one's character and dedication as an advisor to doing things correctly and in the clients best interest. As a professional, if you can't demonstrate to the client why their desires are either expensive, financially perilous or even possibly a legal problem they best avoid, perhaps it is the wrong career for the advisor.

Over the years, when I have dealt with wealthy but very obstinate people, when they refuse to do something which is truly in their best interest. One very successful business owner just wouldn't listen to the importance of properly planning his estate to survive the onslaught of financial and tax obligations. I took a picture of his successful factories, his luxury homes and his private aircraft and yacht. In total, there were 12 photographs. Then I laid all 12 pictures in front of him and said "Which six of these items do you want your family to be able to keep?"

He replied "Well, I want them to have all of what I have worked so hard to build."

Then I said "But, based upon the manner in which you have your estate and business succession planned, at best, they are only going to get to keep half of what you have worked for and depending upon the asset, maybe they would only be able to keep 3 of these 12 items. You have the power to see that your family gets to keep either the items the government allows them to, or everything YOU want them to have."

It was just the wake up call he needed.

Most "artists" think very differently and have an entirely different set of priorities than business people. Successful people often make the mistake that just because they are extremely talented in one area (music, sports, their profession, etc.) they assume that they are knowledgeable and proficient in every undertaking in their lives. Physicians are often guilty of this over confidence. Some of the absolutely worst business decisions I have ever seen one make have often involved medical doctors who have big ego's. The vast majority of people who have gone into business ventures with doctors end up wishing they hadn't.

Having never been married, Prince's life expectancy was 17 years shorter than a married male in a supportive relationship born the same year. Add in that he was revived several days before his death after his jet made an emergency landing in (Moline?), Illinois so the paramedics could give him Naloxone, which is the emergency reversal treatment for opiod overdose. His "people" demanded a private hospital room and none were available so they left and took him "home", which is extremely dangerous.

Then, at 8pm the night before he was discovered deceased, he is shown on Walgreen's security video in the area where he lived, pacing outside of the local Walgreen's outside of his black Escalade (one would think it would have been purple) while someone from his entourage had gone into Walgreen's to pick up a prescription. According to the people at Walgreen's, this was the 4th visit that week for Prince and each time he sent someone in to pick up prescriptions.:dunno::dunno:

Add up this very troubling series of events and sadly, it's highly likely his death will be as a consequence of either opiod overdose or a dangerous combination of opiods and other prescription drugs. It was reported by several people close to Prince that he had undergone one hip major surgery and that he was having trouble with his hip and was expected to undergo more medical procedures related to joint pain. :unknown:

I was never really a fan of Prince's music, but he certainly had talent which many people appreciate. He was incredibly private, which I completely understand. He also was not a proponent of Internet Music distribution and he, along with Kid Rock and several other performers, adamantly refused to (Initially) allow Apple and I-Tunes to initially market his music catalog. Prince, like Kid rock, wrote virtually all of his own music and wrote many successful songs which were made famous by other artists. I remember reading the initial paperwork in the dispute which Kid Rock was having with Apple and I-Tunes and the percentage of the song's revenue which Apple demanded for access to be sold via their I-Tunes distribution source and to play on the Apple devices, was actually almost the same amount of the money which the artist received, after distribution costs. So the person who created, wrote, performed and made the song a hit was being paid about the same amount from the sale of the music as was Apple for making the music available to the public. Frankly, I agreed with the fight Prince, Kid rock and Metallica and others initially took regarding the revenue split. Finally, middle ground was found and the music was brought to the I-Tunes platform.

Now there are reports that Prince has "numerous volume's of music" which he had recorded and never released. The revenue stream from successful music is extremely lucrative and can last for generations. It will be critical for Prince's estate to be properly represented and being a single man, every dollar of his estate, including income which meets the constructive receipt doctrine, that exceeds $5.5 million will result in 50% going to the U.S. Government. :usa

Initial reports claim his estate is valued between $175 million and $350 Million dollars. That means that Uncle Barack will want at least $87.5 million dollars in Federal Estate Tax paid 9 months from the date of his death. This will require his estate to sell or assign the income to his music rights and royalties to raise the cash to meet the estate tax obligation. Now, every dollar he leaves to a qualifying charity reduces his gross taxable estate, if he involved any charitable bequests in his final instructions and estate planning. Time will tell..........

·
Premium Member
8,800 Posts
and this is just in......
As far as I am concerned, Kanye and his "Ilk" have done nothing productive in the music and or any other field. It's sad how many younger people think he and the KarTRASHian's and that type of "celebrities" are actually role models..........Just like the number of young people who claim they want to be a "reality star" for a living. Man are they headed for heartache and disappointment, plus they will be living in their parents basements till their parents die and they can move to the main floor............

Kanye was recently trying to talk the Facebook "creator" (which is a point of legal dispute in my opinion, as well) into giving him some ridiculous amount of money ($50 Million or so if I recall) to pay off Kanye's debt from excessive living and insufficient talent, which will be a fatal disorder for Kanye, ultimately.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts