Green Tractor Talk banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Cabelas had a short lived line of tractors. I looked at them and they wanted as much as what I could buy a Kubota or John Deere for. So I’ve stayed away from them off brand tractors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
630 Posts
Quality aside, Resale value is probably disappointing on these machines.
No, resale will not "probably" be "disappointing", it will definitely be non-existent.

Much like aids, once you have it, you are un-able to get rid of it!

We've all seen it on these "monkey-brand" UTV's. You cannot possibly save enough money to justify such an irresponsible purchase.

·
Registered
11,008 Posts
I am not a fan of the RK tractors or any others unless they are John Deere green, but didn't the JD CUT line start out as re-branded tractors? From the first 850's and 950's the smaller ones were made by Yanmar with John Deere colors. From 1978 until the end of the 2320/2520 series they were Yanmars. My 2320 serial number plate has Yanmar on it and Made in Japan. Being an elder American (old fart), I look at Made in Japan pretty much the same as Made in China. Therefore I don't look at the plate on my tractor.:banghead:

However, JD was on the ball with parts support, service support and sales aids. I well remember telling people when they asked about the Yanmar name, that the tractors were engineered and designed by John Deere. As I think about it now, that may have been stretching the truth, but I hope not. My preference is to be honest.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I am not interested in a re-branded tractor. Period. Of course, I may change my mind...who knows?

Tim
Tim,

I think you "dodged a bullet" when things were not to your liking when RK approached you to be their man in the field. I think you have done well staying with Deere. I always look forward to your videos.
Keep doing what you do! I hope to run into you at the NFMS in Louisville in February.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I hope to run into you at the NFMS in Louisville in February.
11am each day @ the Deere booth (compact tractor section).

Tim

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
I didn't know RK approached TTWT. I'm glad you didn't do it. Since it is mostly Tim's fault I have a 1025R and shed full of implements, it could have misled me to buy something else instead!

·
Registered
11,496 Posts
Cabelas had a short lived line of tractors. I looked at them and they wanted as much as what I could buy a Kubota or John Deere for. So I’ve stayed away from them off brand tractors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
heck they even showcased their tractors on tv back then. IIRC it was on several hunting shows back then--i can't remember the yrs -oh. but i remember those fellas sitting on them tractors while they showed them brush hogging and making field plots for their hunting areas.

Anyone want to take bets on when they pull the plug on RK tractors? :dunno:probably about as long as the cabellas tractors lasted.
we have been waiting patiently for RK to come to Altoona, Pa.:yahoo: been a good while since they announced it. hoping they did not cancelled it.:dunno:
i just love the store-makes TSC look very small in comparison-IMO

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I didn't know RK approached TTWT. I'm glad you didn't do it. Since it is mostly Tim's fault I have a 1025R and shed full of implements, it could have misled me to buy something else instead!
Yes. Talks fell apart abruptly when I said I would not get rid of Johnny. Their insistence on exclusivity was a no go for us.

Funny how things worked out. Mike Morgan has done them a better job than I would have.

I doubt they realize how much Mike has helped them.

Mike’s approach has been perfect for the brand.

Tim

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Sure, there are variations in individual dealers. No question. However, with Deere, there is a DEEP second tier of support. For example, I had some issues with the 5075e. The tech here had tons of resources from which to research it. The online tools that they offer to dealers are amazing. Also, when he had exhausted all of this information, he was able to submit a ticket to Deere corporate. Soon, he was speaking personally with a corporate engineer. They worked together to solve the problem. It took several hours for them to diagnose.

I don't think that level of depth is required for most sub-compact issues. But once up into the 75hp range, these machines are complex.
When the machine is re-branded (not sold by the manufacturer), I'm nervous about the ability to get service for those really tricky issues.

I am not interested in a re-branded tractor. Period. Of course, I may change my mind...who knows?

Tim
It takes a good dealer to use that support though. And I dont think very many brands at all come anywhere close to Deere in that regard, which is one of the reasons I only buy Green.
But for a guy considering an off brand tractor, which really isnt any of us here (or maybe not many of us), RK may (or may not) make sense. Compared to the smaller guys like LS (which New Holland is a rebrand of), Yanmar, Mahindra, Kioti, and a whole bunch of other even lesser known brands, they may actually have better service. And depending on location, some have non-existent dealer support, where others can have great support.
In any case, none of us know what the future holds for any of them. Nobody really beats Deeres longevity and that alone plays a huge part in their service and support network, but along the low end, there might be room for one more.
As for bigger tractors, Id guess thats a tall order to take much away from the established brands!

41 - 49 of 49 Posts