·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I am trying to figure out what I am doing wrong, My Bercomac 44"
front mount on my 325 18hp shoots about 35-40'. My new SB1060 on my
1025r throws about 20'. I have the PTO rpm at 540, it moves a lot of snow,
but doesn't throw it far enough. Here is a video below of a guy blowing
snow a lot further than I can,but with a 54" blower.
What am I doing wrong? I'll try and make a video tomorrow if I can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7KogsiqrX0

·
Corndog Hater
11,777 Posts
You're a little further north than me, but the first thing that comes into my mind is the type of snow. So far, I have had a lot of fairly moisture laden snow, I won't say wet heavy snow, but snow with just a lot of moisture to it. As long as my blower gets it clear of the driveway, which it does, it's fine with me. Also, 10 years ago when I had a GX345, I looked at adding a Bercomac blower to it. But I wanted a compact more. However, the thing that always amazed me with the Bercomac was just how far they threw the snow.:unknown:

·
Registered
324 Posts
A big difference in how far these snow blowers blow the snow is the impeller diameter combined with the speed. For example in the Frontier brand blowers the 48" model has a 20" impeller and the 54" has a 24" impeller which will have a noticeable difference in the distance it throws the snow. As mentioned above if the snow has a lot of moisture in it you'll see a 30 - 40 % reduction in the distance the snow is thrown. Another thing that affects the distance the snow is thrown is keeping the blower as full as possible without over loading which you will quickly learn as you use it.

I have worked with a lot of single stage snow throwers in the past also and the larger the diameter auger the farther it would throw the snow.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THe impeller is good and snug, it has rubbed some of the paint off.
It is snowing right now, I'll make a video tomorrow. The blower
has a 20" impeller. I'll try some different things in the video to see
if I can find the max benefit to save me from moving some of the piles
I have now. Thanks guys. :good2:

:plowsnow::canada

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The snow blew a bit better today, I find if I have the deflector to the top, it
disperses the snow to much, I have it one from the top, blows nice, but not
good distance. Maybe my deflector is the issue, any ways, Video uploading to
you tube. Will post when it is done.

·
Corndog Hater
11,777 Posts
Here is the video my friends.
Looks good budman.

I think a lot of it just boils down to the blower design too. My neighbor and good friend currently uses a JD X540 with front mount 47" 2 stage blower for snow duty. It throws the snow just fine, but nothing like his old machine. That was a mid 90s Cub Cadet GT with a 2 stage front mount blower. That thing rocketed the snow.

Reactions: BigJim55 and budman

·
Registered
452 Posts
I will put the bercomac on soon, just to show the difference. This week guys.
The snowblower in the first video did have a lot more bark to it...

·
Registered
324 Posts
Budman, what's the impeller diameter on that model?

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
One of the big differences between the two videos is at WOT your auger spins slower than the tractor with the cab and the first 1025r.By any chance is there a shear pin broke or something slipping.Look at them to yours, it just seems yours isn't spinning as fast as the other two.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Budman, you are going much slower than the other ones. When you go faster it loads the blower with snow and will blow the snow farther. Can you try one run going slower and one going much faster and see what you get?

Doug

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Hi guys, I am trying to figure out what I am doing wrong, My Bercomac 44"
front mount on my 325 18hp shoots about 35-40'. My new SB1060 on my
1025r throws about 20'. I have the PTO rpm at 540, it moves a lot of snow,
but doesn't throw it far enough. Here is a video below of a guy blowing
snow a lot further than I can,but with a 54" blower.
What am I doing wrong? I'll try and make a video tomorrow if I can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7KogsiqrX0
A 60" is a pretty big blower for a small tractor. Is your PTO selector all the way forward in rear only setting?
My 48" Frontier throws it like the 54" in video.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Budman, you are going much slower than the other ones. When you go faster it loads the blower with snow and will blow the snow farther. Can you try one run going slower and one going much faster and see what you get?

Doug
I have tried different speeds, running it fast and full it throws 15'.
Slow and it throws somewhat okay.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
One of the big differences between the two videos is at WOT your auger spins slower than the tractor with the cab and the first 1025r.By any chance is there a shear pin broke or something slipping.Look at them to yours, it just seems yours isn't spinning as fast as the other two.
Nothing is broken or slipping, I grease and oil it after every use and go over it.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
The biggest difference between those two blowers is the impeller diameter, yours at 20# and the last video of the sb1154 at 24#. The Art's Way documentation does not specify the impeller RPM, the Frontier shows the impeller to be 540 but I'm guessing yours is running at 540 when the tractor is at the recommend PTO speed with no speed adjustment in the gear box, just passing the RPMs through.

The 20" impeller tips operate at 47.09 ft/s, the 24" at 56.51 ft/s (or the 24" impeller operates 18% faster) in this instance more IS better. The only other difference between the blowers is chute length, the Art's Way appears longer than the Frontier, perhaps the additional chute length coupled with slower discharge speed would be enough to keep it from throwing the distances your looking for?:unknown:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts