Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulling ATV's from eastern Nebraska to Yellowstone...about 1,000 miles one way.

I have found Rain-X does a pretty good job on the windshield...bugs don't seem to stick as much when they go "splat." Cleaning the windshield seems easier with Rain-X on there.

Any suggestions how to make bug removal easier on this?

Thought about light coat of Pam / non-stick cooking spray. Probably not a good idea.
Thought about waxing the bumper and grille? Hmmm??
Other suggestions?

Thanks! Daubs

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Coming at this from a few areas of experience.

I do long distance endurance motorcycle trips. 1000+ miiles in 24hr for example. When it comes to cleaning the bike I have used a couple products but seem to fall back to one over and over because it works nearly as well as the expensive stuff and is a lot easier to find....

Lemon Pledge. Spray it down lightly and clean with a micro fiber cloth. Post ride or partway through I keep the windscreen and visor clean with this. The bugs come off with very little elbow grease. This is everything from painted metal surfaces to painted plastic. It seems to even work on the textured plastic areas, chrome and stainless as well. Though I don't have much for chrome on the bike. I have been using it for years and hundreds of thousands of miles on the bikes. Including my helmets and visors. I won't bother posting a link as I suspect you know what Lemon Pledge is and it is found in nearly any store.

From my camping side we also use a special soap for cleanup. This isn't so much for the pre-treatment it would be more the post trip cleanup. There are soaps out there with properties that do a better job of breaking down the dried on mess. The front of the camper gets plastered. If the bike it really bad I will start with this and then wash it. But really with the bike it mostly gets washed when I am out in the rain. However for a post trip major cleanup soap, this is the one we use.

·
Registered
23,074 Posts
I use Rain-X on my chrome/plastic grill also. I use the window washer fluid in a spray bottle to clean my exterior windows and chrome parts.

I think it makes the bugs come off a little easier but have no way to prove it.

Best way to remove the bugs is to soak the area with warm soapy water for 5 minutes then rinse. This loosens 90% of them up and they basically rinse right off.

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
I use Rain-X on my chrome/plastic grill also. I use the window washer fluid in a spray bottle to clean my exterior windows and chrome parts.

I think it makes the bugs come off a little easier but have no way to prove it.

Best way to remove the bugs is to soak the area with warm soapy water for 5 minutes then rinse. This loosens 90% of them up and they basically rinse right off.
Yep, ammonia.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
My vehicles all have a 3M clear bra over the leading edges of painted surfaces, and I keep it waxed. Bugs usually wipe right off.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
My vehicles all have a 3M clear bra over the leading edges of painted surfaces, and I keep it waxed. Bugs usually wipe right off.
I also have the 3M clear bras on all my vehicles. I do on my main motorcycle for LD riding but just in wear places like the gas tank where my tank bag is and the saddle bags where I hit them with my boots sometimes climbing on/off. Nothing on the front cowl.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I used silicone spray in the past (pre-trip).

WARNING: Aerosolized silicone will get on everything! Do not spray that stuff where you paint, finish, or similar. It can be nasty nasty stuff to try and get off something you didn't want it on. I spray it outside of the garage or shop into a microfiber.

My vote would be rain-X (pre-trip).

During the trip, when filling up with gas, take the little windshield wiper/cleaner & go to town on the front bumper, grill, headlights, & windshield.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Reactions: keane and DaubsNU1

·
Registered
143 Posts
In order of effectiveness

Ceramic Coating - You can ceramic coat just about anything and it will be a lot easier to clean than wax or raw paint/clear coat.
Hydrogen Peroxide - Straight out of the bottle you purchase in the pharmacy. I put it in a spray bottle, it eats the little critters up and leaves no residue
Alcohol - I dilute the alcohol I buy from the store to 25% but its hard to get right now so I use HP.

Separately (in response to RainX and specifically for glass)

Aquapel lasts a lot longer than rainx and is much more effective at shedding rain. I have been using aquapel on vehicles for years, I apply twice a year, at the beginning of summer and at the real onset of winter. The rest of the time you can just squirt the window at it gets clean. The trick is to clean the glass with 4-ought (0000) ultrafine steel wool. The wool is not has hard as the glass and will remove everything from the glass.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Aside from all the suggestions to pre-coat the surfaces, I find that a big part of the challenge with removing them is that they are dried out/baked on and your typical car wash doesn't rehydrate the bugs. If the weather cooperates, I'll leave my car in the rain then hit the quarter car wash after the bugs have had a chance to rehydrate and they come right off.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
50% ammonia and 50% water in a spray bottle. Works good on most, but may have to reapply on heavy spots of bug areas. Let soak for a few minutes and wipe off.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Also, good old fashioned newspaper, especially on glass. Hydrogen Peroxide is the miracle cure for bug splatter, back this up with newspaper and your glass will be super clean and streak free.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I like Original Bike Spirits Spray Cleaner & Polish.
Spray on, let sit, wipe off. Leaves a wax finish behind to make removal next time easier.
Always worked on the bikes, and the cars, as long as they didnt sit for a week or two before I tried to remove them.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
I would love to see someone spraying the front of their vehicle down with Pam 😂 😂 😂 :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
9,784 Posts
I would love to see someone spraying the front of their vehicle down with Pam
I've done it many times.

Florida Love Bug Season.

The splatter is so thick that you'll need your wipers on to see where you are going.

Get home and pressure wash right after you park.

Get up in the AM and grab the can of Pam again.

Reactions: DaubsNU1

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
This would be something I would have never thought of. I guess there's no reason it wouldn't work.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I would love to see someone spraying the front of their vehicle down with Pam
We do it to the dirt bikes before a mud race/ride. Makes them easier to hose off afterwards.

I'm surprised that no one uses softener sheets that you use in the dryer. Just wet them with the hose of stick them into your soapy wash bucket. They wipe bugs right off the vehicle.

Reactions: keane
1 - 20 of 28 Posts