Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out camping at Lake Wabamun for the last weekend of summer. Cooking a roast pork with fresh garden carrots and potatoes in my cast iron dutch oven. This oven gets used every time we camp now.
uploadfromtaptalk1379725870321.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1379725893044.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1379725967525.jpg

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Looks good! :fed: Good cast iron cookware is hard to beat, in any circumstance! :thumbup1gif:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,126 Posts
Looks good! :fed: Good cast iron cookware is hard to beat, in any circumstance! :thumbup1gif:
You can't.............period. We use a similar Dutch oven on our smooth top stove.

·
8,558 Posts
I have a good cast iron dutch oven. I also have my grandmother's cast iron skillet. They last many lifetimes, if cared for properly, and it is neat knowing so many wonderful meals have been prepared in them!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,126 Posts
I have a good cast iron dutch oven. I also have my grandmother's cast iron skillet. They last many lifetimes, if cared for properly, and it is neat knowing so many wonderful meals have been prepared in them!
The more they are used the better they are. I have seen too many people throw away a perfectly good Dutch Oven for a new one.:unknown:

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My cast skillets are many many years old too. I have a cast griddle for pancakes that I use sometimes. The dutch oven is a new addition to my camping gear. Good thing I'm not back packing.:eek:

·
8,558 Posts
My cast skillets are many many years old too. I have a cast griddle for pancakes that I use sometimes. The dutch oven is a new addition to my camping gear. Good thing I'm not back packing.:eek:

I couldn't help laughing at this. Yes, the one drawback to good cast iton is the weight. I could just picture some of us trying tp backback up hills, etc., carrying our good cookware. I might be the first one complaining if we tried to do that! :laugh:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Not meaning to hijack, but that is a neat little trailer. I remember you mentioning it or them before. Had entertained the idea of taking a small one to Montana, but was concerned about people and Grizzly bears breaking into it when I wasn't in camp. There isn't any cell phone service.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts

You need a donkey, he will happily carry carry all of your fancy camping supplies.:good2:

Attachments

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
I couldn't help laughing at this. Yes, the one drawback to good cast iton is the weight. I could just picture some of us trying tp backback up hills, etc., carrying our good cookware. I might be the first one complaining if we tried to do that! :laugh:
That's why we have MRE's. :laugh:

Don:usa

·
8,558 Posts
You need a donkey, he will happily carry carry all of your fancy camping supplies.:good2:
I have a donkey, but at his age, I don't think he'd do less complaining than me about hauling that cookware! :mocking:

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
The stuff some folks use camping amazes me sometimes. My average cooking tripod to hold a dutch oven over a fire weighs about 12-15 lbs. I've had customers custom design tripods they wanted me to make that weighed 20+! There's no need to build one out of 1" bar unless you want to hang a whole deer from it!

I was a backpacker. My camp cookware was one small aluminum pot, and the only utensil was titanium. Not sure if I'm still up for that these days.

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not meaning to hijack, but that is a neat little trailer. I remember you mentioning it or them before. Had entertained the idea of taking a small one to Montana, but was concerned about people and Grizzly bears breaking into it when I wasn't in camp. There isn't any cell phone service.
That's our 1959 Lil Loafer. They tell me the bears use big can openers to get in and feed on campers.:eek::D:confused:

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh, I did roast beef tonight in the dutch oven and the gravy was to die for.

·
8,558 Posts

You are going to make us all hungry!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,126 Posts

:lol: IT"S all about the gravy. Sometimes I could leave the meat, gravy on bread and potatoes is where it's at.
The Dutch Oven does exceptional well making gravy.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Cast iron cookware is the bomb. I have a couple of old Griswold skillets, and a couple newer lodge cast iron pieces. They are all great and don't expect to replace any of them in my lifetime.

...and no, I don't collect the Griswold stuff to look at, I use it. :lol:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts